Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2237
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2000 COBB Tuned GC8
2012 Hyundai Veloster

Default Hopefully you all can help... built engine knock issues with AP

Hi All,

I've been having some major issues trying to get a good tune out of my car and every experienced tuner that I've had work with me on it is scratching their collective heads with regards to why my car is doing.

Early cliffnotes: My car is being told its knocking, its not, well it shouldnt be.

Let me tell you what I'm running:
2000 RS chassis, 2002/2003 WRX ECU, AP V1 protune
USDM EJ257 shortblock with upgraded bearings and mahle pistons (99.5mm bore)
JDM ver8 STi heads, AVCS not hooked up
16gEvo3, TXS TMIC, APS 70mm intake and inlet pipe, Smoothed out intake manifold, TGV delete, gasket matched stock exhaust manifold, APS 3" TBE

Firstly, I know I have forged pistons and that they create more noise than stock, but once warm, you can hardly tell a difference.

I got on a dyno two weeks ago and the following log produced the following results. http://www.bankheist.net/logs/log1.xls
The car kept showing a ton of knock correction around 4100 rpm and the tuner had to keep backing out of it, he just didnt like what was going on and suggested that I replace the knock sensor. He then loaded a very conservative tune so I could run the car around, try out different things and not hurt the car. (explains why timing is so much different in the following logs).

So I replaced the knock sensor and still on 93 pump gas, I achieve these results... a little better if you ask me, but still not good. http://www.bankheist.net/logs/log2.xls

So I decided, what the hell, lets through some race gas in. MS109 (105 octane) and achieved the following results:
http://www.bankheist.net/logs/log3.xls
http://www.bankheist.net/logs/log4.xls

So, after all this, I'm running a super rich tune, wideband is telling me 10.0 at WOT, with 105 octane gas, and my car still thinks it is knocking.

I know a very simple solution, ditch the Accessport and get a UTEC (it can "ignore" knock signal)... but that's a path I'm not yet ready to go down as I like the fact that AP works in so much unison with the stock ecu's programming.

Any help anyone can offer will be much appreciated!

-Kevin
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bankheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Davenow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23676
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:

Dont totally ditch the reflash. Sell the AP, pick up a UTEC and a tactrix cable.
The big downside is your custom tune is gone, however your custom tune is close to worthless in your cars current state. The knock is almost certainly just a resonance in the motor from the forged pistons, and your car has the loudest forged internal setup I have ever heard. The unfortunate reality is that at this time the only 2 options for changing how your knock sensor listens would be a Hydra or a UTEC.

Hit up www.wrxhackers.com sign up and explain your problem to those guys. Beware of Hippy, he only half knows what he is talking about (which is 300% more than most of what nasioc members can say) and is a bit of an asswipe.
Davenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
KevinHeist
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50667
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza Coupe
Enginuity Tuned

so i signed up... in the reasons for accepting me I put:

"Because Davenow said I should join and I have a STi GC8. -Kevin"
KevinHeist is offline   Reply With Quote