Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
CryoSlash
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139026
Default wiring nightmares

so anyway, i have a real problem with my subaru not starting and acting all funny.

i recently took apart my center console to find that one of the wires is snapped. you see my problem all started with the car not going into gear smoothly at first (this is an auto tranny), then only being able to go into reverse, then into no gear at all and not being able to start it after shutoff.

so what im thinking is that this red wire is the safety switch of some sort for the starting of the car.

so now this is a big problem for 2 reasons. when i put the car into the accessory position, i can head a distinct electrical sound coming from my transmission area. Is this my starter? i was under the impression that these cars had their starters in the engine bay where it would be easier to access, but this sound is coming from near the top of the transmission, or directly in it. Secondly would this wire stop my car from starting? Any help is appreciated, and input as always.
-Thomas
edit. what gauge wire should this be anyway?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CryoSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

....d0000d....looks like a gheto/kiddie wiring jerb to ME!~!!!!!!

...that 'aint stock, Toto
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Yep that's some aftermarket crap and not factory wiring. What you're showing us may or may not be the reason for your starting problems. The best thing you can do is get the car to a shop where people who know what they're doing can remove the sloppy wiring and fix it properly.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
CryoSlash
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Yep that's some aftermarket crap and not factory wiring. What you're showing us may or may not be the reason for your starting problems. The best thing you can do is get the car to a shop where people who know what they're doing can remove the sloppy wiring and fix it properly.
i figured it as much, this is some weird ass ****. im gonna call a local tomorrow and ask if he knows whats up.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
CryoSlash
Scooby Newbie

okay so he told me it was my tranny, and that it ran low on oil. bs, tranny fluid is filled to full as always. Anyway, when i turn on my car onto the accessory position, i can hear this loud electrical buzz coming from down under. Where is the starter located on these cars? i wanna use this as reference for when i go work on the car tomorrow. I am also going to try to fix the crappy ghetto wiring job up top, and hopefully i can have the car cranking by tomorrow.
cliffs. loud electrical buzz from under. Any ideas?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
redrex002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143685
Vehicle:
2006 sti/04 evo
Silver

I have this problem, i have a 02 wrx with a viper alarm ( with remote start) blitz gauges and turbo timer among many other mods. Now here is where i had the problem. My car sat for 2 years ( im in the military ) and i drove it and all of a sudden my car just lost all power, it shut completely off and i had nothing.

Its a brand new battery so its not that. And now when i go to start my car the turbo timer counts down to zero and it dies, also when i depress the emergency break car just dies any ideas?? Also the gauge lights dont always come on its weird anyone have this problem happen ??
redrex002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex002 View Post
I have this problem, i have a 02 wrx with a viper alarm ( with remote start) blitz gauges and turbo timer among many other mods. Now here is where i had the problem. My car sat for 2 years ( im in the military ) and i drove it and all of a sudden my car just lost all power, it shut completely off and i had nothing.

Its a brand new battery so its not that. And now when i go to start my car the turbo timer counts down to zero and it dies, also when i depress the emergency break car just dies any ideas?? Also the gauge lights dont always come on its weird anyone have this problem happen ??
No you don't have "this" problem, you have a different situation altogether and it has nothing to do with this thread.

Cryo, unfortunately that's not enough information for us to go on, this is something that has to be diagnosed in person by someone with the proper skills.
I don't know you personally or have any idea of your actual skill level so don't take this the wrong way, but unless you really know what you are doing you may just make things worse by messing with it yourself.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
CryoSlash
Scooby Newbie

i really wish i knew this car better like my supra... i understand what you're saying it's just the sole problem is it wont move at all without getting started and i simply cannot tow it for financial reasons. i also like doing some diagnosis before i take it into the shop. well sunday ill try to give you guys more information to go on.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
redrex002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 143685
Vehicle:
2006 sti/04 evo
Silver

I was not saying i had "This problem" i was saying that in general that is my problem
redrex002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryoSlash View Post
okay so he told me it was my tranny, and that it ran low on oil. bs, tranny fluid is filled to full as always. Anyway, when i turn on my car onto the accessory position, i can hear this loud electrical buzz coming from down under. Where is the starter located on these cars? i wanna use this as reference for when i go work on the car tomorrow. I am also going to try to fix the crappy ghetto wiring job up top, and hopefully i can have the car cranking by tomorrow.
cliffs. loud electrical buzz from under. Any ideas?
does your car have a front diff AND a tranny dipstick ????
some do and they can get confuzed and over/under filled....beware
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
CryoSlash
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
does your car have a front diff AND a tranny dipstick ????
some do and they can get confused and over/under filled....beware
yes it does, and the tranny fluid is full. Anyway so i was wondering if anyone had the shifter assembly for part numbers handy with them. like the one where it separates all the different parts so i can get a part number. i am missing a big part of my assembly...