Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 15, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #301
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Not bad shots at all! Other than some of the extreme angles, I think these are great, particularly the action shots.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #302
aure
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180221
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SD!
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
PSM

Default

Yay for AWJunkies! Love those shots...hopefully will be able to tweak my camera around and get a couple pictures looking better than what I have atm . Thanks for the writeup!
aure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #303
byrin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186503
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
Black

Default

Any suggestions?


byrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #304
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrin View Post
Any suggestions?
Compositionally, they're all pretty good The first one is spot-on, and I think for the 3rd one, given how close you are to having it as a profile shot of the car, it's best to have the wheels straightened out (or at least, straight enough so you don't see tire tread) in this case.

The second one is a tough one...it really is a bit out of focus, but the angle is great. Panning shots can be quite difficult...make sure you try to keep your focus on the front of the car and follow through with the shot, pivoting your whole body at the waist and not just moving your upper body.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #305
byrin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186503
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque
Vehicle:
1998 impreza 2.5rs
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
Compositionally, they're all pretty good The first one is spot-on, and I think for the 3rd one, given how close you are to having it as a profile shot of the car, it's best to have the wheels straightened out (or at least, straight enough so you don't see tire tread) in this case.

The second one is a tough one...it really is a bit out of focus, but the angle is great. Panning shots can be quite difficult...make sure you try to keep your focus on the front of the car and follow through with the shot, pivoting your whole body at the waist and not just moving your upper body.
awesome i'm really glad to hear that! i'm getting a lot better! the second one was very hard and the car was flying so i tried my best. thanks for the input
byrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #306
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

Hello photography goons!
I'm just getting started in digital photography, and am trying to absorb as much information as is humanly possible, so all criticism is appreciated!
I'm currently looking into macro photography because every time i see a dash cluster or a shift knob in macro I just love it. So I'm looking for some lens advice. I have a Canon Digital Rebel (non-XT) and I have been thinking about starting out with a macro lens that still has an AutoFocus option. The one I was specifically considering is the EF-S 60mm f/2.8. Is there anything you season photo guys would recommend I beware of/look out for? Any and all help is welcome!
VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #307
Wrx KidD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123531
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern Virginia
Vehicle:
.. Kwinskii <3

Default

Nice advise
Wrx KidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #308
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardTruth View Post
Hello photography goons!
I'm just getting started in digital photography, and am trying to absorb as much information as is humanly possible, so all criticism is appreciated!
I'm currently looking into macro photography because every time i see a dash cluster or a shift knob in macro I just love it. So I'm looking for some lens advice. I have a Canon Digital Rebel (non-XT) and I have been thinking about starting out with a macro lens that still has an AutoFocus option. The one I was specifically considering is the EF-S 60mm f/2.8. Is there anything you season photo guys would recommend I beware of/look out for? Any and all help is welcome!
I have a macro lens myself, and I've found that it actually has more uses than just taking extreme close-ups of interior parts. I actually have the Nikon equivalent to the Canon lens you mentioned, and it's probably my 2nd sharpest lens. The one thing to consider though is that while I've found more uses for my macro lens than just close-ups, it's still a very specialized lens. If you're new to photography, I would probably recommend going with a nice inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 instead, just to get your feet wet with non-zoom lenses. If you haven't shot with a prime lens before, you'll most likely immediately notice a pretty steep learning curve, and I believe that it's better to take on this learning curve with an expensive lens first, since macro lenses are almost always in upwards of $400. That said, I actually use my 50mm more often than my macro lens to do interior shots, simply because the f/1.8 works better for interiors. Just about all my work with my macro lens I use with a flash to get enough light on the subject. Hope this helps!
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #309
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
I have a macro lens myself, and I've found that it actually has more uses than just taking extreme close-ups of interior parts. I actually have the Nikon equivalent to the Canon lens you mentioned, and it's probably my 2nd sharpest lens. The one thing to consider though is that while I've found more uses for my macro lens than just close-ups, it's still a very specialized lens. If you're new to photography, I would probably recommend going with a nice inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 instead, just to get your feet wet with non-zoom lenses. If you haven't shot with a prime lens before, you'll most likely immediately notice a pretty steep learning curve, and I believe that it's better to take on this learning curve with an expensive lens first, since macro lenses are almost always in upwards of $400. That said, I actually use my 50mm more often than my macro lens to do interior shots, simply because the f/1.8 works better for interiors. Just about all my work with my macro lens I use with a flash to get enough light on the subject. Hope this helps!
Extremly helpful! Thanks.
The 50mm was probably my second choice. One question on the use of flash with macro though. Doesn't the flash wash out the subject while in macro or do you diffuse it somehow? I might be misusing diffuse, so forgive me.
VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #310
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardTruth View Post
Extremly helpful! Thanks.
The 50mm was probably my second choice. One question on the use of flash with macro though. Doesn't the flash wash out the subject while in macro or do you diffuse it somehow? I might be misusing diffuse, so forgive me.
Using a flash actually takes some experimenting. I would never trust the on-camera flash for any serious photography. I use a Nikon SB-600 flash with a diffuser or with the Gary Fong Lightsphere, and typically have it pointing upward to bounce off the ceiling. Here's some example photos of my 08 STI Invidia downpipe using my macro lens and my flash pointed upward with the Lightsphere attached:







Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #311
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

Those would be taken inside a lightbox, no? If I get a macro lens I really want to make some kind of cheap lightbox.
Also, I guess that answers my next question. If i really want to get into this I should probably invest in a good flash that I can diffuse / point upward.
Finally, what lens used for those shots? Thats just about the level of detail / zoom I am looking for, if not perhaps a little more.
VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #312
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardTruth View Post
Those would be taken inside a lightbox, no? If I get a macro lens I really want to make some kind of cheap lightbox.
Also, I guess that answers my next question. If i really want to get into this I should probably invest in a good flash that I can diffuse / point upward.
Finally, what lens used for those shots? Thats just about the level of detail / zoom I am looking for, if not perhaps a little more.
No light box involved, just a white table cloth to give it the white background. Lens used was my Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Micro.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #313
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

wow and the flash pointed upward gave such great distribution of light. I think I have my next two investments pinned down.
VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #314
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardTruth View Post
wow and the flash pointed upward gave such great distribution of light. I think I have my next two investments pinned down.
Both the low ceiling in that room and the fact that I used the Lightsphere helped really distribute the light that well
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #315
steve3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 174055
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Ogden, Ut
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

?????

Last edited by steve3; 10-29-2008 at 06:47 PM.
steve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #316
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

Here is a recent photograph I took. Ignoring rule of thirds advice, anything else I should be looking for?

VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #317
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3 View Post
so what do you think

My old S13 and mazda3 taken with my old sony point and shoot

And my wrx with my new d40 still working on getting the settings down
Okay, I've got an idea...let's try something new here Rather than me telling you what I think of it, based on what you've read in this thread...what do you believe you could've done better on each of these photos? After all, learning is just as much being able to repeat or show what you learned as it is just listening or reading something.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #318
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardTruth View Post
Here is a recent photograph I took. Ignoring rule of thirds advice, anything else I should be looking for?

My main issue with this photos aside from rule of thirds is the location and the angle that it was shot. You can see a trash can in the background and it looks like it was shot at eye level, which almost makes it look like a for sale ad instead of a photo you're trying to really get nice and artistic with.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #319
blue-sun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15934
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Yorkville,IL RIP Chee :(
Vehicle:
08.5 Mazdaspeed3
Crystal White Pearl

Default

I only went through the first few posts by Armin but I tried using the rule of 3rds as much as I can and the extreme low (had no way of getting extreme highs) on my last few detail pics:

Not the best pics, but I think an improvement over before (I won't shame myself with those pics though they wouldn't be too hard to find with a search)













blue-sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #320
blue-sun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15934
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Yorkville,IL RIP Chee :(
Vehicle:
08.5 Mazdaspeed3
Crystal White Pearl

Default

And some others:











blue-sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #321
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-sun View Post
I only went through the first few posts by Armin but I tried using the rule of 3rds as much as I can and the extreme low (had no way of getting extreme highs) on my last few detail pics:

Not the best pics, but I think an improvement over before (I won't shame myself with those pics though they wouldn't be too hard to find with a search)

Looking good with the low angle. Now just gotta get those cars to a better location and you'll be set Also, when doing shots that are full face or full rear, this one of the times where you're just fine breaking the rule of thirds...just make sure it fills up the frame and you're good to go.

Also, for the photo I quoted...be careful on the edges there. Rule of thirds is great but don't abide by it and put the edge of the car all the way at the edge of the frame.
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #322
blue-sun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15934
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Yorkville,IL RIP Chee :(
Vehicle:
08.5 Mazdaspeed3
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
Looking good with the low angle. Now just gotta get those cars to a better location and you'll be set Also, when doing shots that are full face or full rear, this one of the times where you're just fine breaking the rule of thirds...just make sure it fills up the frame and you're good to go.

Also, for the photo I quoted...be careful on the edges there. Rule of thirds is great but don't abide by it and put the edge of the car all the way at the edge of the frame.
Yah, agreed that my driveway's not the best place to take pics scenically, but it's where I do alot of my detailing work and it's closest to home. LOL

Thanks for the advice, i'll work on it tonight. Doing the AMS drag car that's headed for SEMA 08. =D
blue-sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #323
Verdugo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15341
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sea-Town, WA
Vehicle:
2012 Borderline Pro
Photographer of the Year

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-sun View Post
Yah, agreed that my driveway's not the best place to take pics scenically, but it's where I do alot of my detailing work and it's closest to home. LOL

Thanks for the advice, i'll work on it tonight. Doing the AMS drag car that's headed for SEMA 08. =D
Right on! If you see him, tell Rich at AMS I said hi. I hadn't seen him since Buttonwillow this time last year.

Armin
Verdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #324
blue-sun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15934
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Yorkville,IL RIP Chee :(
Vehicle:
08.5 Mazdaspeed3
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
Right on! If you see him, tell Rich at AMS I said hi. I hadn't seen him since Buttonwillow this time last year.

Armin
Will do! Rich is my boy! We went to college together and he's the one that got me "in" at AMS doing the detailing.

Much props to him.
blue-sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #325
VanguardTruth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144915
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
My main issue with this photos aside from rule of thirds is the location and the angle that it was shot. You can see a trash can in the background and it looks like it was shot at eye level, which almost makes it look like a for sale ad instead of a photo you're trying to really get nice and artistic with.
Alright, I like the advice. But come on! trashcan!? its tiny and I'd have to walk all the way down the driveway to go get it. :-)I will experiment more with the angle of the shot. Although I did do that once before, I got on the roof to shoot some pictures of my old SRT-4. That rhymes.
VanguardTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koji's Quick and Dirty DIY Guide (AKA Tips for the adventerous DIY newbie) Koji Interior & Exterior Modification 30 04-11-2009 11:31 AM
EJ25 to EJ25 swap, first time, good tips and tricks to know? Patrick Olsen Subaru Conversions 8 11-27-2006 10:14 PM
Tips & Tricks to a clutch install MRF582 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 12 11-05-2005 03:39 AM
Band photography, tips and tricks? Matt A Off-Topic 7 08-18-2004 04:50 PM
Quick and dirty way to extract pdf files to word or publisher? ChosenWon Off-Topic 10 12-17-2003 10:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.