Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #526
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: #paintitorange
Vehicle:
'11 CR-Z
'05 GG, '12 Acadia

Default

I think the guys at the STAR stations are being very cautious right now. Two places I went yesterday did a lot of looking around under the car. And both guys asked if I had a carb number for the downpipe. Never seen that before.

I would think the regular shops are probably conducting business as usual. Not sure though.

Edit: what did you use to check the VIN and such?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by NutBucket; 02-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #527
EPlascencia60
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254170
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pomona, CA
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT
GW- Socal F4 #46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBucket View Post
I think the guys at the STAR stations are being very cautious right now. Two places I went yesterday did a lot of looking around under the car. And both guys asked if I had a carb number for the downpipe. Never seen that before.

I would think the regular shops are probably conducting business as usual. Not sure though.

Edit: what did you use to check the VIN and such?
We Star certified techs, have to be on our A game for we can loose it for any minor deviation such as missing a fuel cap functional. Our license is at risk on every test performed, unfortunately gaining Star is not as easy as loosing it. Every shop can qualify for Star however only the prompt shop get certified.

VIN doesn't and won't matter, if it is in fact your car that is being tested then it wouldn't matter if you have swapped ecu because the test is being performed appropriately.
EPlascencia60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #528
hadvw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151958
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default

Whew, that's a relief (if VIN/CVN/CID won't matter).

Btw, I used FreeSSM to check VIN. I wasn't sure if a tune could change that or not. Maybe a tune can't, and I was worried for no reason.
hadvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #529
G4ORCE
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 126865
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Where my fists meets ur face
Vehicle:
07 M 2thedark side
Mperformace

Default

Been gone for a good minute looks like it is time to chime in again:
For now STAR stations means they are smog test only and repair. In other words they combine both stations into one. The downside STAR stations are very very cautious since they avg for the smogs has to be lower in order to keep the STAR standing. This means any and I mean any modification (yes you with CAI) that does not have a carb sticker will fail visual.

For now if you have a tune you are safe but implementations are being set forth by the state that maybe next year it will check to see if the ECU has been tampered or modified. So that will mean stock flashes back if you want to pass smog
G4ORCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #530
EPlascencia60
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254170
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pomona, CA
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT
GW- Socal F4 #46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
Been gone for a good minute looks like it is time to chime in again:
For now STAR stations means they are smog test only and repair. In other words they combine both stations into one. The downside STAR stations are very very cautious since they avg for the smogs has to be lower in order to keep the STAR standing. This means any and I mean any modification (yes you with CAI) that does not have a carb sticker will fail visual.

For now if you have a tune you are safe but implementations are being set forth by the state that maybe next year it will check to see if the ECU has been tampered or modified. So that will mean stock flashes back if you want to pass smog
Well said.
EPlascencia60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #531
xdarkn3ss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180912
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
Been gone for a good minute looks like it is time to chime in again:
For now STAR stations means they are smog test only and repair. In other words they combine both stations into one. The downside STAR stations are very very cautious since they avg for the smogs has to be lower in order to keep the STAR standing. This means any and I mean any modification (yes you with CAI) that does not have a carb sticker will fail visual.

For now if you have a tune you are safe but implementations are being set forth by the state that maybe next year it will check to see if the ECU has been tampered or modified. So that will mean stock flashes back if you want to pass smog
Theoretically speaking....

What if your car was bought used with a tune (just for the CARB legal CAI)? How would I get back to a 'factory floor' tune? Does the factory tune include some code we are unaware of that identifies itself as being original?
xdarkn3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #532
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: #paintitorange
Vehicle:
'11 CR-Z
'05 GG, '12 Acadia

Default

Not sure how the ECU works but it is possible that it generates a checksum or something based on the tune loaded. I'd call that fairly unlikely but you never know. Now maybe an ECU for a GT-R might do something like that given how hard Nissan tried to lock it down.

Most likely there is some identifier that is programmed into it. Loading a different tune may or may not change that identifier.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #533
EPlascencia60
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254170
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pomona, CA
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT
GW- Socal F4 #46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkn3ss View Post

Theoretically speaking....

What if your car was bought used with a tune (just for the CARB legal CAI)? How would I get back to a 'factory floor' tune? Does the factory tune include some code we are unaware of that identifies itself as being original?
That won't affect it. The only obvious way to fail for that is to have a swapped ecu or a standalone
EPlascencia60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #534
HammsBear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232201
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sonoma
Vehicle:
03 WRX
silver

Default

I just passed smog in a MY03 wrx. Im cobb stage 2 with a cobb catless up and catted helix turboback, got it hot enough to squeak by the sniffer, and "passed" the visual...whew.
HammsBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #535
EPlascencia60
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254170
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pomona, CA
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy GT
GW- Socal F4 #46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammsBear View Post
I just passed smog in a MY03 wrx. Im cobb stage 2 with a cobb catless up and catted helix turboback, got it hot enough to squeak by the sniffer, and "passed" the visual...whew.
Nice, congrats.
Note: be sure to drive the car and have it warmed up prior to smog. It gives a better chance of passing.
EPlascencia60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #536
HammsBear
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232201
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sonoma
Vehicle:
03 WRX
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlascencia60 View Post
Nice, congrats.
Note: be sure to drive the car and have it warmed up prior to smog. It gives a better chance of passing.
Thanks! I definitely had it nice and warm.
HammsBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #537
hadvw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151958
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlascencia60 View Post
That won't affect it. The only obvious way to fail for that is to have a swapped ecu or a standalone
Really? THAT is what I've been waiting to hear! Great!
hadvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #538
G4ORCE
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 126865
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Where my fists meets ur face
Vehicle:
07 M 2thedark side
Mperformace

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkn3ss View Post
Theoretically speaking....

What if your car was bought used with a tune (just for the CARB legal CAI)? How would I get back to a 'factory floor' tune? Does the factory tune include some code we are unaware of that identifies itself as being original?
Won't matter there is a check sum that ecu creates, when it has been modified that check sum data is irrelevant. This is already in place at some dealerships that one of the first things they check is the ECU and if it has been "tampered" with then kiss your entire warranty goodbye.

if you bought it used then you'd have to contact the dealer to get the original stock tune.

Again it is not set in stone but a heads up that it is coming down the pipeline soon
G4ORCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #539
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: #paintitorange
Vehicle:
'11 CR-Z
'05 GG, '12 Acadia

Default

Of course it all depends on how that checksum is created; whether its just parameters in the tune itself or there could be something else its looking for. The former might be easier to work around; flash a stock tune using an AP and it should be kosher. The latter could be tough...like maybe a flag that's set when you alter the tune with an unapproved device? No idea, just thinking out loud.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #540
xdarkn3ss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180912
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
Won't matter there is a check sum that ecu creates, when it has been modified that check sum data is irrelevant. This is already in place at some dealerships that one of the first things they check is the ECU and if it has been "tampered" with then kiss your entire warranty goodbye.

if you bought it used then you'd have to contact the dealer to get the original stock tune.

Again it is not set in stone but a heads up that it is coming down the pipeline soon
I have no Subaru warranty to worry about, the car is warrantied by the used car dealer that sold it to me and he warrantied it "as-is" so the tune that was on it he's liable for (only for another 30k though). My real concern is passing smog, I have been to the CARB ref and don't ever want to go through that BS again. I wonder if there is a generic stock tune for my car out there to download and keep on hand should this rule go into effect.
xdarkn3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #541
beano457
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293820
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: palmdale, CA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkn3ss View Post

I have no Subaru warranty to worry about, the car is warrantied by the used car dealer that sold it to me and he warrantied it "as-is" so the tune that was on it he's liable for (only for another 30k though). My real concern is passing smog, I have been to the CARB ref and don't ever want to go through that BS again. I wonder if there is a generic stock tune for my car out there to download and keep on hand should this rule go into effect.
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=35&t=7591
beano457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #542
xdarkn3ss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180912
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beano457 View Post
Tyvm I've been looking for that list, I knew it existed from when I did a lot of tuning but had trouble finding it! Thanks again
xdarkn3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #543
G4ORCE
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 126865
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Where my fists meets ur face
Vehicle:
07 M 2thedark side
Mperformace

Default

btw if you are catless and run the cat delete bypass (so it wont pickup that you dont have a cat and throw the check engine code), it might not pass smog as that monitor will never get set, as of now as long as 1 monitor is incomplete and the rest are good you should pass but next year all car over 2001 HAVE to have all monitors set
G4ORCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #544
hadvw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151958
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default

When you are talking about the cat delete bypass - do you mean in the UP or DP?

I have an '05 LGT with an STi UP (OEM UP has a cat in it and EGT sensor). Will the resistor mod for the EGT be ok for that? If not, what if I take an OEM pipe and de-cat? The EGT shouldn't be able to tell there's no cat in the UP, should it?

I have a gutted (1 cat removed) OEM DP, but I have a fully OEM DP ready to put on for SMOG... Also planning to go back to stock injectors at some point to be able to run a 100% OEM tune for smog.
hadvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #545
xdarkn3ss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 180912
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ORCE View Post
btw if you are catless and run the cat delete bypass (so it wont pickup that you dont have a cat and throw the check engine code), it might not pass smog as that monitor will never get set, as of now as long as 1 monitor is incomplete and the rest are good you should pass but next year all car over 2001 HAVE to have all monitors set
What about setting the "force pass readiness monitor" with OS tuning? Would that not at least get you over that hurdle? Obviously depending on the tune and/or thoroughness of the inspector you may still fail
xdarkn3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #546
tonyb98
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157169
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
07 WRX
HBspeed Mod/Tuned

Default

Hey guys any decent and fair smog shops that could be recommended in the Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley areas? Need to sell my Sub and have it smogged for the sale??? PM are good...
Thanks
tonyb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #547
IllustriousBrown
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 200355
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
WRB, Cobb Stage 2

Default

I think I've figured this out by reading through this forum, but I figured I'd get some verification. I'm new to CA and last had a smog check in Utah, though I ended up moving before registering the car there.

I'm running a 2006 WRX wagon with a Cobb turboback, stage 2 AP tune. I should be OK if I throw a stock DP on and reset the AP back to stock, right?

Also, does CA require you to show a previous registration, or can I just start from scratch here. My VA registration expired a few months back, and I just found work out here, so now I can take care of all of this.

Also, I've seen some stuff that makes it look like they just do idle tests, but I've also heard I need to find a shop with an AWD dyno for the test. Which of these is correct? I'm in LA, Silver Lake/Echo Park area.

I've had friends in Virginia and Utah who would run the test legitimately but "miss" the top cat on the downpipe during their visuals. I always passed in both those states, even at stage 2, for what it's worth.

Thanks for your help.
IllustriousBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #548
tonyb98
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157169
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
07 WRX
HBspeed Mod/Tuned

Default

Anyone? or a smog shop in the Long Beach/south bay area too?



Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb98 View Post
Hey guys any decent and fair smog shops that could be recommended in the Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley areas? Need to sell my Sub and have it smogged for the sale??? PM are good...
Thanks
tonyb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #549
tonyb98
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 157169
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
07 WRX
HBspeed Mod/Tuned

Default

FYI I passed the smog check today. Car was running rich, someone told me to add a bottle of fuel additive called HEET. Went to Oreillys bought a bottle on sale for $2.50. Added the bottle drove on the freeway for about 25 minutes to the shop.. They tested it and passed no problem at Stage 2, 3076,750 CC DW's, inverted custom air intake taken off replaced with a legal Cobb air intake with CARB sticker and put stock DP on it. Friend told me HEET makes the car run cleaner and not as rich. It did work and I dont think it would have passed without the HEET...
Anyone else ever try it?
tonyb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #550
NutBucket
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90804
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: #paintitorange
Vehicle:
'11 CR-Z
'05 GG, '12 Acadia

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllustriousBrown View Post
I think I've figured this out by reading through this forum, but I figured I'd get some verification. I'm new to CA and last had a smog check in Utah, though I ended up moving before registering the car there.

I'm running a 2006 WRX wagon with a Cobb turboback, stage 2 AP tune. I should be OK if I throw a stock DP on and reset the AP back to stock, right?

Also, does CA require you to show a previous registration, or can I just start from scratch here. My VA registration expired a few months back, and I just found work out here, so now I can take care of all of this.

Also, I've seen some stuff that makes it look like they just do idle tests, but I've also heard I need to find a shop with an AWD dyno for the test. Which of these is correct? I'm in LA, Silver Lake/Echo Park area.

I've had friends in Virginia and Utah who would run the test legitimately but "miss" the top cat on the downpipe during their visuals. I always passed in both those states, even at stage 2, for what it's worth.

Thanks for your help.
Don't know if you got answers so I'll try.

You should be able to pass with a stock DP. I wouldn't bother with reflashing to stock. You don't need to worry about showing any previous registration to get a smog check that I know of. And finally there is no need for you find a shop with an AWD dyno. Any shop will do a 2-speed idle test and that's perfectly fine.

Good luck!
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P0171 CEL Thread - Everything you ever wanted to know? CirrusWRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 557 02-21-2014 05:21 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about anything ever made......ever Hester Prynne Off-Topic 12 11-05-2008 05:57 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about exaust systems Back Road Runner Normally Aspirated Powertrain 9 10-24-2006 09:59 PM
('93-'01) Everything you ever wanted to know about Subarus... Porsche914boxer4 Impreza Forum 15 07-23-2001 09:17 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX exhauasts (old model) --> rao Normally Aspirated Powertrain 5 02-12-2001 08:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.