Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 13, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 80727
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Default Clutch not disengaging

Okay so here is the story. 03 WRX with 93k on it. I replaced my stock clutch with an ACT streetlite flywheel and a spec stage II clutch about 15000 miles ago. Everything when fine and I have not had a hint of problems with it. I actually love the lightweight flywheel.

Couple of nights ago fiancť drives the car home, says nothing was wrong. I get in the car to leave the next morning and the clutch will not disengage. It still has pedal pressure, seems like the normal amount. After looking at the fork, it seems to me itís not moving as much. I bleed the clutch and nothing so I swapped a new master and slave cylinder on it. There were no leaks on either but just to be safe. New fluid all the seals are cleaned and nice I bled it correctly and everything else. The clutch pedal seems solid and when itís pumped up the clutch doesnít get harder or anything and the slave doesnít drift back, just stays rock solid.

I adjust the masterís rod to the pedal out as much as possible to try and get more fork movement but it does not help. The pressure plate moves out when the clutch is depress but there is about a 1/4Ē between the TO bearing and the fingers on the plate. I can see the metal piece that holds the snap ring in pulls out with it. I can push the TO bearing back against the pressure plate but it will not lock there and the fork pulls it back out with no problem. So when the pedal is pushed in the TO moves for ~1/4Ē then the pressure plate moves. Is this where my extra slop is that doesnít allow the clutch to release?

So I have a few ideas on what could be wrong:

Extra slop in pressure plate allows TO bearing to slide out ľĒ and not enough travel to make it release.

Master cylinder was bad originally and now put the wrong on it (long shot here, itís got the same bore and looks identical)

Iím not adjusting the clutch properly. I wouldnít think this would be it since it worked fine in the past and just stopped working like it did.

So now Iím stuck. Before I rip the tranny apart to find out itís the pressure plate any ideas?

TIA, Scott
Douginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links