Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-27-2001, 11:32 PM   #1
GusS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12879
Vehicle:
1992 Legacy L Wagon
5spd, AWD, White

Default Trouble codes 22 & 42 on a BF Legacy

Hi,
I'm getting the following trouble codes:

22: Knock sensor - Abnormal voltage produced in knock sensor monitor circuit. Sets in regular fuel map and retards ignition timing.

42: Idle switch - Abnormal voltage input entered from idle switch. Judges OFF operation.
Around how much are the parts needed and can this job be performed by a novice?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:38 AM   #2
iceman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1546
Vehicle:
95 Legacy L
Silver

I'm a novice too, but you can try a ECU reset. I don't think it will help, but you can't lose anything. However it sounds like you need a new Knock sensor.
Hope this helps,
Ice

Last edited by iceman; 12-28-2001 at 01:11 AM.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 07:20 AM   #3
GusS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12879
Vehicle:
1992 Legacy L Wagon
5spd, AWD, White

Iceman these are new.. I reset it about 2 weeks ago when I had a canister purge solenoid code. I replaced the solenoid and now I have this.
GusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 02:56 PM   #4
subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default hmmm

The idle sensor I have no experiencewith but the knock sensor I have replaced.
It is a relatively easy replacement with an extension and a u-joint on a socket wrench. Its beneath the intake manifold on top off the block almost directly under the throttle body.
Try this before you replace it: Remove the knock sensor and clean the base of it a well as the mating surface on the block with steel wool. This will sometimes remedy the problem.
Otherwise it needs to be replaced. I had to go to the dealer for the part (appr. $40.) HTH
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote