Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-30-2001, 07:32 PM   #1
zman55
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8339
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Audi S4
Black

Default Forester Question..

I didn't really know if I should post this question in the Forester forum, or the News and Rumors, but here goes...anyone know if the Forester is due a redesign/power upgrade anytime soon? Here's why I ask. My wife and I already have a Legacy. We have an 8 month old daughter. I have an S-10 ZR2 pickup which I will be giving back to the dealership in less than a year. We will most likely have one more child. See where I'm going? I have (had) made my mind up about a WRX, but now I'm not so sure since we have one child and will most likely have another. The Legacy is nice on long rides (have drove from AL to TX, AL to WV) but there's not much room left after out stuff and our daughter's. I like the Forester, but would be much more inclined to buy one if it had a larger powerplant. I know I can up the power with aftermarket gear, but if SOA is planning on doing it (like they did with the OB), why bother? Anyway, thanks for reading (if you lasted this long!). Oh yeah, if anyone has pics of their Foresters, I'd love to see them...interior especially! Thanks all,

Chris
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
zman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:53 PM   #2
Vixx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8796
Vehicle:
1998 Forrester
Burgandy/Silver

Well, I don't know about larger power plants, but all I know is this...

My wife and I, when we go on long trips have this in our Forester:
My wife and I in front seat, baby and 4 year old in back seat, 3 dogs in cargo area (95lb retriever, 50lb and 35lb shepard (they all sleep together pretty close the whole way) and keep all our luggage and bags in a rocket case on the top rails and three bikes and a trailer on a reciever hitch rack. And even with all that and the 4 banger, it gets along ok on the highway (plenty of power, just a goofy transmission, we need a manual) and manage to get aroun 18-20mpg. The DVD player in the dash and the LCD monitor on the ceiling help with the monotony but it all works pretty well. Next time we load it all up, I'll try to take a picture.

But yea, if they have a 6cyl model out when we buy a new one when our 98 goes kaput in 5 or 6 more years, I'll buy the 6 cyl. Good luck in your search!

EDIT: by trailer, I mean the baby trailer you pull behind a bicycle hehe
Vixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:59 PM   #3
zman55
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8339
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Audi S4
Black

Vixx,
Thanks for the info! I forgot to mention that we have 2 dogs too, and still have the pet barrier left over from our Blazer! I am DEFINITELY interested in your DVD setup..I was thinking about something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DVDME1&o=P&a=0 then adding a screen. Anyway, thanks again for the info, and I would be interested in the pics if you get around to it!
zman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1895
Vehicle:
05 Leg GT Ltd. W
Silver

From what I've heard, the Forester is due for a redesign next year (MY2003) with a turbo model following the year after (MY2004).

Ken
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 08:16 PM   #5
Vixx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8796
Vehicle:
1998 Forrester
Burgandy/Silver

I have all pioneer electronics in the Forester.

* DEH-P7300 In-Dash CD/AM/FM that controls the DVD Player
* SDV-P7 In Dash DVD player connected to/through head unit
* AVM-9000R Control System/Dolby Digital monitor
* AVD-W8000 8" LCD Monitor mounted to top just back from the eyeglasses holder
* (2) GM-X354 Amplifiers (one under each seat) for the Front, Rear, and Subs...
* All Blaupunkt speakers (cheap on ebay and sound decent) with 6" Bazooka tubes tucked behind the rear seats...

All in all it sounds good, but there was no point in getting the Control System since from the drivers seat, I can't hear the dolby digital anywho...But I didn't have to pay for any of it since my dad worked for poineer. He doesn't any more though (retired this year *cries*), but when we get a new one, I'm gonna go after the DVD/CD/MP3/AM/FM reciever and add the screen up top and power the speakers with the internal amplifier in the reciever...I just can't listen to it loud like I used to.

Good luck!
Vixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:08 AM   #6
toerag
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8167
Vehicle:
2001 ForesterS-Turbo
Premium Silver

I'd stick with the legacy, it is DEFINATELY bigger than the forester, especially the back seat legroom. The forester does have a taller cabin though, so compare the two side by side to make your choice.
toerag is offline   Reply With Quote