Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
chapstien
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68284
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: In a state of freedom
Default Low clutch engagement point after tranny install

I just pulled, had repaired and installed my 5MT. Now the clutch pedal engages half way down rather than near the top like it seems it did before. What is the next step - bleed the hydro system? Check for too much free play?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chapstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
EricGleason
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 154934
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Albany, NY
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L
bright red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstien View Post
I just pulled, had repaired and installed my 5MT. Now the clutch pedal engages half way down rather than near the top like it seems it did before. What is the next step - bleed the hydro system? Check for too much free play?
Can you tell me how high the pedals rises? I just had my clutch replaced today and it seems like all the action happens an inch from the floor but the clutch comes up about 8" from the floor. I think I need to ask him to fix that.

I think in your situation it's normal, unless your pedal has a very short throw. When my clutch was badly worn all the action was at the top of the stroke too.
EricGleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
jhargis
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110304
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Crestline, CA
Vehicle:
2004 Volvo S60R
No more Subie

Default

You can adjust the engagement point of your clutch. Follow the linkage from the pedal, across the steering column to the pushrod for the clutch master cylinder... you will see a nut at the near side of that pushrod. Loosen the nut, pull the pin and you can turn the pushrod link to adjust your engagement point. You will likely need to do this when changing a clutch, and often times when the trans is removed and re-installed.
jhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
EricGleason
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 154934
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Albany, NY
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L
bright red

Default

Can you also adjust the throw of the clutch as easily? Mine comes up as far as the construction of the car will let it, which makes it more than twice as high as the brake pedal.
EricGleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
chapstien
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68284
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: In a state of freedom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhargis View Post
You can adjust the engagement point of your clutch. Follow the linkage from the pedal, across the steering column to the pushrod for the clutch master cylinder... you will see a nut at the near side of that pushrod. Loosen the nut, pull the pin and you can turn the pushrod link to adjust your engagement point. You will likely need to do this when changing a clutch, and often times when the trans is removed and re-installed.
You can't (or is it shouldn't) adjust the engagement point - just the free play. The engagement point is sef adjusting. (from changing that prior to searching, then putting it back.)
chapstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
chapstien
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68284
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: In a state of freedom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGleason View Post
Can you also adjust the throw of the clutch as easily? Mine comes up as far as the construction of the car will let it, which makes it more than twice as high as the brake pedal.
The higher the better - WRT free play.
chapstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
ACTman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 113222
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstien View Post
You can't (or is it shouldn't) adjust the engagement point - just the free play. The engagement point is sef adjusting. (from changing that prior to searching, then putting it back.)
Uh?? When you change the free play at the pedal you are in fact changing the engagement point. This is normally not required unless you have an aftermarket clutch.

To the author: If the only thing you changed was the trans, then definitely bleed the system again because that is most likely the cause of the problem. If you changed the clutch as well with something aftermarket, that may be reason for the different engagement point.
ACTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Job - Low Clutch Engagement? MikeNeri Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 1 02-04-2007 08:20 PM
Clutch engagement high after install Rickyh Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 3 08-03-2006 01:11 AM
Adjusting clutch engagement point? Dougeefresh Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 3 12-01-2001 03:24 AM
clutch engagement point aphex twin Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 1 11-27-2001 11:29 AM
Clutch Engagement Point Change Momentary, is this normal? H5N1 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 5 06-08-2001 02:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.