Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default CA: 07sti w/LC 1st time 1/4 help!

hey guys,
i normally autox, and dont have any desire to drag, but i was talked in to taking my sti down to the track today, so its my 1st time. i have a custom map (not protune) equivalent cobb stg2 w/o the hesitation issues, it also has the new launch control from cobb added to it.

2007 sti:
aps cold air
equal length header
megan tbe


im on the left, my buddys 20g forester on the right

102 degrees at the track


so i set the LC to 5k, and i held the throttle down for about 3 seconds then just got off the clutch, pretty much dumped it. how can i get my 60 foot better? i only did 2 attempts, this was my second time, the 1st time i did the LC at 4.5k. i feel a bit guilty about dumping it but im not sure about how to feather it out. any suggestions much appreciated
TIA
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by marcus.raw; 07-29-2007 at 09:30 PM.
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
blowbyu24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84482
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA / Element Tuning
Vehicle:
2005 STI.UR gt4088r
E85 pro comp sti

Default

were you spinning off the line or were you bogging???? b/c you should have a better 60' with LC

and your about a sec behind on your 1/8 mile
blowbyu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
KillaSti
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 143021
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Methuen MA
Vehicle:
2007 STi pearl white
Stg1 12.8 @ 107.53

Default

i launch my 07 @ 5500 dumping the clutch.. my best 60ft has been 1.799 my tires were set @ 45psi that way the tires get more of the shock rather than the tranny..
KillaSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
bren wrx
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 59454
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester
Vehicle:
'10 E92 M3 M-DCT
brentuning.com/blog

Default

wait you have an open source map with LC your saying?
bren wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowbyu24 View Post
were you spinning off the line or were you bogging???? b/c you should have a better 60' with LC

and your about a sec behind on your 1/8 mile
i chirped pretty good, it wasnt long enough for me to call it a spin though. i discovered the track grips more than traditional pavement.

what is the avg times with 1/8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaSti View Post
i launch my 07 @ 5500 dumping the clutch.. my best 60ft has been 1.799 my tires were set @ 45psi that way the tires get more of the shock rather than the tranny..
i had only 32psi in my wheels, could that contribute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren wrx View Post
wait you have an open source map with LC your saying?
i did something similar to a mail order map, i told my tuner what mods i had and sent him a few datalogs, 4 times around i have the map that i have now with LC. i didnt want to spend the money for a protune since im basically stock, but the stg2 cobb maps for the 07 were undesirable.
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
blowbyu24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84482
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA / Element Tuning
Vehicle:
2005 STI.UR gt4088r
E85 pro comp sti

Default

well with your set up you should be around 8.1 or 8.2....i still don't know why your times are like that....what rpm are you switching into 2nd gear?

your wheel psi should be around 38-40....more your just gonna spin and less your gonna grip more, and that isn't all the best thing, one rotation of spin is perfect to hit 1.6x 60'
blowbyu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
DOHCammin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41290
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: www.subaruforester.org
Vehicle:
2000 OBS

Default

cal speedway is a very slow track, drop your 60 ft to 1.8 or so and you'll be in the low to mid 13's.

don't sweat a low to mid 13 at cal speedway, it's not a great track.

in 102 temp, the track temps were prob in the 140's or so? I've gone with jake a few times and every time it's been super hot. the major problem with that track is heat soak. you've got 102 ambient temps, under hood temps and 140 or so track temps fighting against you. with the amount of people that show up and the length of time your car sits between runs it just isn't good.

dumping the clutch isn't the way to go, bring the RPM's to 5k or so and feather the clutch. you'll spin a little but you won't bog. IMO a slight spin is better than bogging. also, when were you shifting? don't redline the car, the VF39 runs out of steam around 6k or so. Try to get out of 1st gear asap, don't wind it out to your rev limiter.
DOHCammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCammin View Post
cal speedway is a very slow track, drop your 60 ft to 1.8 or so and you'll be in the low to mid 13's.

don't sweat a low to mid 13 at cal speedway, it's not a great track.

in 102 temp, the track temps were prob in the 140's or so? I've gone with jake a few times and every time it's been super hot. the major problem with that track is heat soak. you've got 102 ambient temps, under hood temps and 140 or so track temps fighting against you. with the amount of people that show up and the length of time your car sits between runs it just isn't good.

dumping the clutch isn't the way to go, bring the RPM's to 5k or so and feather the clutch. you'll spin a little but you won't bog. IMO a slight spin is better than bogging. also, when were you shifting? don't redline the car, the VF39 runs out of steam around 6k or so. Try to get out of 1st gear asap, don't wind it out to your rev limiter.
i shifted at 6.5 1st to 2nd, then 6k every time after that except for 4th, i rode it out rather than shifting.

i need to find out what this feather thing is all about, i dont think ive quite grasped the concept.

for STI owners, is it best to leave it in auto or full rear?
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #9
mcwop23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 24589
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Vehicle:
1995 Mazda RX7
11.8@125 w/ LS2

Default

what's the elevation of the track? Your trap seems really low
mcwop23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
TAPOUT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127670
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Springfield, VA
Vehicle:
2007 HTA GT3794
Darton Sleeved

Default

It really takes a bit to learn to launch, don't dump the clutch. You have to feather it a bit to keep the car from bogging. The track sticks much better than the street, and you have to practice a bit. Too much slippage, burn the clutch, not enough and bog. Good luck and keep trying.
TAPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
karl750
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100977
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbus,OH
Vehicle:
2004 VF30 WRX
12.96@103.7mph 1.84 60'

Default

That looked like a CLOSE race.
karl750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
CatfaceType-R
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 81102
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Brushyoteefs@dentists.cats
Default

never dump the clutch and you ran a 104mph trap and only ran a 14.1? damn, that's 12.9~ territory. Work on that launch ftw!
CatfaceType-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

thanks soon2bblakcongold, im going to try and figure out how to launch this thing and what it means exactly to have a good trap etc
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
downsti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63179
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: THANKs CrucialRacing, EQTuning
Vehicle:
2006 Stock Turbo STi
11.7@113mph-115.6mph VF39

Default

work on the launch for sure
get that down to a 1.6 1.7
and def work on your shifting( shifting makes a difference)
and maybe try a different shift points
downsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
BNut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 12675
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lafayette, LA
Vehicle:
2002 330Ci/2006 STI
14.6 @ 95mph-330Ci

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezs2jen View Post
i shifted at 6.5 1st to 2nd, then 6k every time after that except for 4th, i rode it out rather than shifting.

i need to find out what this feather thing is all about, i dont think ive quite grasped the concept.

for STI owners, is it best to leave it in auto or full rear?
Try shifting 1st and 2nd at 6,000 to 6,250 and make sure you shift into 5th if you are hitting the rev limiter in 4th.

I found what works good for launching on the street is letting the clutch out a little bit and hold it there for a split second to get the car moving and then quickly letting it out the rest of the way.

Also, the center diff isn't a front to rear setting like a lot of people talk about. Its actually a Lock to Open adjustment for the center diff (The bright green square at the bottom is open). You should be alright leaving it in auto, but for launching on the street going one click up from full open worked good for me. I'd personally talk to be people that are running 1.7 60 ft times or better and see what they are are doing.

Also are you using the no lift shift where you keep your foot planted on the gas peddle b/w shifts?
BNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #16
Freon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 88322
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Vehicle:
2009 BMW 135i

Default

More practice. You should be holding the accelerator down throughout launch and using the clutch to hold rpm no lower than 4000rpm. Then practice more.
Freon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNut View Post
Try shifting 1st and 2nd at 6,000 to 6,250 and make sure you shift into 5th if you are hitting the rev limiter in 4th.

I found what works good for launching on the street is letting the clutch out a little bit and hold it there for a split second to get the car moving and then quickly letting it out the rest of the way.

Also, the center diff isn't a front to rear setting like a lot of people talk about. Its actually a Lock to Open adjustment for the center diff (The bright green square at the bottom is open). You should be alright leaving it in auto, but for launching on the street going one click up from full open worked good for me. I'd personally talk to be people that are running 1.7 60 ft times or better and see what they are are doing.

Also are you using the no lift shift where you keep your foot planted on the gas peddle b/w shifts?
i have not done flat foot shifting, the map enables the option to set a rev limiter for a flat foot shift but i wasnt sure what rpm is good to shift
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
CatfaceType-R
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 81102
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Brushyoteefs@dentists.cats
Default

i'm not sure because i have not read much about the gearing change in the 07. I assume you should redline every gear and you will be crossing the line in 4th(the closer you come to redling 4th, obviously the better you are doing)...shifting early would negate that better 1/4 mile 07 STi gearing
CatfaceType-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #19
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

i was able to cross the line before 7k in 4th gear iirc. redline for me is 7250
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #20
DOHCammin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41290
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: www.subaruforester.org
Vehicle:
2000 OBS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezs2jen View Post
i was able to cross the line before 7k in 4th gear iirc. redline for me is 7250
it's a toss up to shift or not, you'll waste 10ths shifting but at 7k you're blowing hot air.

it's definitely in your launch. a little more practice and you'll get it. 1.6 or 1.7 is ideal but very hard to hit if you don't have experience. Also, hard to consistently get. 1.8 or 1.9 is a better target for you right now.
DOHCammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #21
Weakness
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 92588
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Palatine, IL
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Silver

Default

Wow, that was a close race, 0.035 was the diff!
Weakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
JuniorRSX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 84838
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Allentown
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
swp

Default

1.6-1.7's i keep the dccd fully open roller all the way to the rear. launch 5k feather clutch til car starts to move and then come off on the clutch. tire pressure 45psi rear, 50psi front. "also i don't use launch control or flat foot shifting maps. the 07 computer doesn't like that and it will pull timing and you will run slower."

Last edited by JuniorRSX; 07-31-2007 at 04:21 PM.
JuniorRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #23
Steadydpn1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110445
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Location: LBC
Default

Props to you man. I think you were the only sti out there. They're right, you lost time in your launch.
Steadydpn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
marcus.raw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 909
Vehicle:
93 LS2widebody rx7
interlagos blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadydpn1 View Post
Props to you man. I think you were the only sti out there. They're right, you lost time in your launch.
yah i really felt like the minority, its like..civic nation out there

were you watching?
marcus.raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #25
Earl
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 95044
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: GST Motorsports tuned Stage II
Vehicle:
Best et 12.07
Best trap 116.1 mph

Default

I saw a few (stgII) STi's running LC at the strip and they're all consistent 1.8's 60'. Try it without and see if you can do any better. Seeing that you don't have much desire to drag, i guess 1.8's are ok.

Not allowing boost to drop to vacuum in between shifts helps alot too.

-Earl
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique my time 1/4 slips <NicK> Proven Power Bragging 31 12-04-2007 06:05 AM
1st time 1/4 eviltwin Proven Power Bragging 11 04-28-2006 09:14 PM
Bought a CD today. 1st time in 4 yrs The_Triton Off-Topic 40 02-24-2004 09:21 AM
First Time 1/4 mile time with new WRX unloadmydodads Proven Power Bragging 7 06-04-2003 01:10 AM
1st time 1/4 rjrutzky Proven Power Bragging 6 04-11-2003 02:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.