Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #2501
Superorb
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 135252
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
86% Operational :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Bamboo Steamer View Post
I had the problem occur for the first time a week ago, the outside temp drop to around 20. I've given up trying to get anything done via Subaru because of a couple of other defects I was not able to resolve with them. I removed the intake yesterday and found two clamps under the manifold that where very loose. The hoses looked fine, just loose clamps.
Did you replace the parts or just tighten the clamps?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Superorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #2502
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Bamboo Steamer View Post
I had the problem occur for the first time a week ago, the outside temp drop to around 20. I've given up trying to get anything done via Subaru because of a couple of other defects I was not able to resolve with them. I removed the intake yesterday and found two clamps under the manifold that where very loose. The hoses looked fine, just loose clamps.
Please don't tell us you went to all of that trouble and then just tightened the clamps.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #2503
wgb113
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32478
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Downingtown, PA
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_02_227 View Post
Hey Bill,
You must have been the XT that Roberts said was just fixed....
That was me Rob! Let me know how you make out.

Bill
wgb113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #2504
WRX Bamboo Steamer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 8239
Join Date: Jul 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Did you replace the parts or just tighten the clamps?
Just tightened them. If it happens again I'm going to change the layout so it's above the manifold.
WRX Bamboo Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #2505
Superorb
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 135252
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
86% Operational :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Bamboo Steamer View Post
Just tightened them. If it happens again I'm going to change the layout so it's above the manifold.
It WILL happen again. Subaru didn't do a good job designing that, and that is why they have made available parts to fix it so that it "should" prevent fuel leaks in the future.
Superorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #2506
WRX Bamboo Steamer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 8239
Join Date: Jul 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
It WILL happen again. Subaru didn't do a good job designing that, and that is why they have made available parts to fix it so that it "should" prevent fuel leaks in the future.
Figures. Thanks for the warning. I'm not handing over that kind of money for those parts, anyway it would be just as easy to hack the lines and reroute.
WRX Bamboo Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #2507
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default help me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
It WILL happen again. Subaru didn't do a good job designing that, and that is why they have made available parts to fix it so that it "should" prevent fuel leaks in the future.
Does this mean Subaru has new parts beyond what was done per the original raw fuel TSB? I'm scheduled to have my car repaired again, and the service tech says new parts are in. I should have asked her, but didn't. Has Subaru really come out with a new fix? Subaru is picking up the tab for this work, even though my car is out of warranty. But I'm really curious about this remark: " that is why they have made available parts to fix it so that it "should" prevent fuel leaks in the future."
I guess I missed something.
darryl
edit: never mind. I did a search and saw mention of new replacement metal fuel lines. I'm guessing that's the fix. If not, someone correct me, please.

Last edited by Darryl; 02-08-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: explosive diarrhea! gotta go!!!!
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #2508
Superorb
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 135252
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
86% Operational :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Does this mean Subaru has new parts beyond what was done per the original raw fuel TSB? I'm scheduled to have my car repaired again, and the service tech says new parts are in. I should have asked her, but didn't. Has Subaru really come out with a new fix? Subaru is picking up the tab for this work, even though my car is out of warranty. But I'm really curious about this remark: " that is why they have made available parts to fix it so that it "should" prevent fuel leaks in the future."
I guess I missed something.
darryl
edit: never mind. I did a search and saw mention of new replacement metal fuel lines. I'm guessing that's the fix. If not, someone correct me, please.
Yeah, the parts your dealer ordered should fix the problem. BUT, I remember reading of people who are getting the fuel smell again even after the fix was performed.
Superorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #2509
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default

thanks Sup! I hope this fix turns out to be the cure (and not allow that smell to return).
It's pretty bad to raise the hood and see pooled fuel in the engine bay. Maybe Subaru has a handle on it now with this new fix.
darryl
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #2510
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
thanks Sup! I hope this fix turns out to be the cure (and not allow that smell to return).
It's pretty bad to raise the hood and see pooled fuel in the engine bay. Maybe Subaru has a handle on it now with this new fix.
darryl
I'm still unclear as to whether SOA is using parts that are different from those specified in their TSB from 2003.

I think the idea (posted above) of using a loop of fuel hose (instead of a straight piece) is a good one. To the extent this problem is caused by expansion and contraction that would solve it.

Maybe SOA considered this but found there isn't enough space for a loop. My repair was done at a dealership so I don't have an idea as to how much room there is under the intake.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #2511
jungleman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147022
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

is there anyway to do a class action lawsuit against SOA with this peace of $hit problem? I think we have enough ppl here and other forums. Have SOA reimburse EVERYONE who has put money into fixing this issue no matter if its out or within warranty, and make this a mandatory recall issue for those who havent had it fixed. This is totally ridiculous, especially since we've had complaints on this board since 2002. Does anyone here have any health issues documented on paper b/c of this crap that we can prove this is a health hazard and environmental hazard? I am TOTALLY down to sign any petition or join the lawsuit to get this rolling. I think this is deterring me from buying another Subaru in the future, as much as i love my car, i cant deal with this BS, we all have better things to do instead of fighting with SOA to get a problem fixed in which they've originated. If i get cancer from this, i swear i will have to set the dealerships on fire. haha jk... (but i know many of u want to )

Last edited by jungleman; 02-09-2009 at 03:22 PM.
jungleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #2512
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default

say Johnson I'll try to find out if the parts installed are different from the original '03 TSB.

J-Man, if Subaru is covering the costs of repairs, wouldn't that make a class action lawsuit difficult? I'd be more concerned about those individual dealerships that (according to postings here) are very unsympathetic to the customer and want to charge for even looking at the car. Especially when they are aware of the TSB, and that Subaru is willing to cover the costs. I'm amazed at how some dealers operate in regards to the raw fuel smell. Clearly there is no mandated consistency in how they should approach the issue. It seems that an auto manufacturer has a limited business agreement with the dealers. Perhaps only a recall can level the playing field and make dealers comply in the same way? So it's always wise to go through Subaru_USA to inform them, then contact the dealer, imo.
darryl
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #2513
Lorry
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11725
Join Date: Oct 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionJ5 View Post
I called SOA and told them that the smell of fuel was overbearing and that my kids were getting dizzy from the odor. The rep immediately gave me a reference num and told to take it to the nearest dealer to have the problem witnessed by a mechanic.
Sounds good! It seems like SOA is getting more responsive to this problem. I may try again with my car.
Lorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #2514
topshark04
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172419
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
'05 WRB STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshark04 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me sajohnson!

The reason it is lower is because I know someone that works at the dealership and they might be able to get me a better price.

I actually called SOA today and I spoke to a woman named Jodi and I did get a "Service Request" number. She did tell me that I have to take the car into my local dealership to have it evaluated. I have an appointment setup for tomorrow for the evaluation and the work to be performed.

Jodi mentioned that once the work was performed I could fax my bill to her and they would then evaluate if they could "goodwill" the work. I will keep everyone updated on my status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshark04 View Post
The car is currently in the shop at the local dealership right now. I will be picking it up after work and hopefully everything will be fixed correctly. I will have to pay for the work and as earlier stated I will be faxing the invoice paperwork to SOA. Hopefully they will do the right thing and "goodwill" the service. I will keep everyone posted.
Well I just heard back from SOA and they told me that after analyzing my situation they will be able to "reimburse" the cost of the parts and labor from the TSB. This was great news today!!!

I spoke with a Jodi at SOA and she was great! As long as you are nice with them it seems to make a world of difference.

Again I purchased my car used with 150,000 miles and had no warranty on the car for several years now and they are going to "goodwill" the cost. That is great!
topshark04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #2515
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default

good to hear, TopShark! I'm happy for you. Good thing you were using a "nice" approach. I never ranted or cursed or said anything unseemly to the SOA reps or my local dealer. At the very least act decently.
Now let's hope these new parts really do the trick. Gotta give Sub credit for at least trying something else different,plus picking up the tab for parts and labor. Maybe it fugures it's less expensive to deal with individual issues rather than go for a full recall? I mean, I don't suspect this is an issue in Los Angeles-like areas.
darryl
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #2516
topshark04
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172419
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
'05 WRB STi

Default

^^Thanks Darryl!

I doubt that anyone who honestly thought they would have a chance to get reimbursed would be rude or anything but I know people that demand things and are very rude and it gets them nowhere.

I agree with your statement about "Los Angeles-like" areas are probably not affected. It's probably a fair split as to the true number of cars affected and not affected due to location. I know a lot of people who drive subarus in cold climates and a lot of poeple who drive in warm climates as well.
topshark04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #2517
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
good to hear, TopShark! I'm happy for you. Good thing you were using a "nice" approach. I never ranted or cursed or said anything unseemly to the SOA reps or my local dealer. At the very least act decently.
Now let's hope these new parts really do the trick. Gotta give Sub credit for at least trying something else different,plus picking up the tab for parts and labor. Maybe it fugures it's less expensive to deal with individual issues rather than go for a full recall? I mean, I don't suspect this is an issue in Los Angeles-like areas.
darryl
It's true that not all Subarus will have this problem.

At the very least, this should have been/should be handled like the ABS ECU problem -- as a "customer satisfaction campaign". SOA should send out letters to the registered owners of all potentially affected vehicles and allow them to decide if they want the work done.

IMO though, this problem should have resulted in a full-blown recall, but I guess since no one has been burned alive yet the NHTSA won't act.

Sure, some cars will never leave the 'Sunbelt', but it's impossible to know which ones. Cars get sold. People go on vacation and visit friends and family in colder climates.

Having a set blanket policy would eliminate many of the problems people are having getting this fixed and the inconsistency between how different customers are being treated.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #2518
topshark04
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 172419
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
'05 WRB STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
It's true that not all Subarus will have this problem.

At the very least, this should have been/should be handled like the ABS ECU problem -- as a "customer satisfaction campaign". SOA should send out letters to the registered owners of all potentially affected vehicles and allow them to decide if they want the work done.

IMO though, this problem should have resulted in a full-blown recall, but I guess since no one has been burned alive yet the NHTSA won't act.

Sure, some cars will never leave the 'Sunbelt', but it's impossible to know which ones. Cars get sold. People go on vacation and visit friends and family in colder climates.

Having a set blanket policy would eliminate many of the problems people are having getting this fixed and the inconsistency between how different customers are being treated.
I totally agree. If it has been this long thought I'm not sure how much SOA would work to get this process in place. You would think in our economy in it's current state that they would want to do anything and everything to keep and gain customers.
topshark04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #2519
Davidwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 141028
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshark04 View Post
I spoke with a Jodi at SOA and she was great! As long as you are nice with them it seems to make a world of difference.
Jodi helped me also and reimbursed the full cost of repair. Thanks Jodi!
Davidwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #2520
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwrx View Post
Jodi helped me also and reimbursed the full cost of repair. Thanks Jodi!
Let's not forget the district or regional managers. It was explained to me by Patricia Bryant that the dealer's service manager should contact the district/regional Subaru manager, and that decisions would be made at that level. In other words the dealer reports the conditional of the car after having inspected it. Then the (regional) manager makes the call.

Want to hear something funny? I dropped my car off this morning, and got a rental. I called late in the day for a progress report and was told by the service tech that the new parts were in, but the mechanic was having trouble sorting out where the various vacuum lines went! The car may be ready by tomorrow afternoon. Well...it ain't really funny. But ya gotta be able to smile it off.
darryl
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #2521
blackfang
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Let's not forget the district or regional managers. It was explained to me by Patricia Bryant that the dealer's service manager should contact the district/regional Subaru manager, and that decisions would be made at that level. In other words the dealer reports the conditional of the car after having inspected it. Then the (regional) manager makes the call.
That is the route I take when I deal with these cars.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #2522
WRX_02_227
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12434
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
2011 BMW 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post
That was me Rob! Let me know how you make out.

Bill
Bill,
You paid them for the repairs correct?? Did you try calling SOA to see about goodwill payment?
WRX_02_227 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #2523
Shmeffrey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41495
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Rally Blue

Default

I live north of Toronto, Canada, and I since I can't call SOA then who can I call about this issue? Subaru Canada is an obvious choice but I can't find any phone numbers. My local dealership wants me to do a diagnosis and pay for it.

Are there any other Canadians that have dealt with this problem?
Shmeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #2524
Darryl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1626
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Planet Mongo
Vehicle:
'02 RevLab 11.5:1
Platinum Silver

Default look what I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeffrey View Post
I live north of Toronto, Canada, and I since I can't call SOA then who can I call about this issue? Subaru Canada is an obvious choice but I can't find any phone numbers. My local dealership wants me to do a diagnosis and pay for it.

Are there any other Canadians that have dealt with this problem?
try this link: http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.asp?Web...&WebSiteID=282
hope this helps ya out. don't let the dealer do squat until you contact Subaru first.
darryl
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #2525
sajohnson
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6140
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middletown, MD, USA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 5MT Sedan
WR Blue. Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeffrey View Post
I live north of Toronto, Canada, and I since I can't call SOA then who can I call about this issue? Subaru Canada is an obvious choice but I can't find any phone numbers. My local dealership wants me to do a diagnosis and pay for it.

Are there any other Canadians that have dealt with this problem?
The 'diagnosis' takes all of about 1 minute (literally).

The dealer I went to did it for free.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raw Fuel Smell Inside Cabin - WRX Kenneth2000 Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 13 12-21-2012 10:28 PM
Raw Fuel Smell/Leaking Fuel Line on WRX pumpkyn Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 39 02-09-2009 11:50 PM
Raw Fuel Smell.... Rebellion South East Region Forum 7 01-25-2005 09:48 AM
Raw Fuel Smell Giljorak Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 10 03-08-2002 07:03 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.