Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Zspectrum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152933
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
CT9A
TB

Default Open cat question/ Custom exhaust question

Has anyone ever run open cats. Literally taking off the midpipe with the resonator and just have the cats dump under the car. If you have was it ok? Did anything melt?

Custom exhaust. Im gonna have a custom exhaust made(catback) Im just going to run a straight 3 inch pipe all the way back to where the bumper is and have a straight through muffler. What muffler should I use, or should I just put a tip on it. If its really loud it doesnt matter. What do you think. Tips/ suggestions are appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Zspectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
rbtlen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 142263
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond virginia
Vehicle:
2005 sti
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspectrum View Post
Has anyone ever run open cats. Literally taking off the midpipe with the resonator and just have the cats dump under the car. If you have was it ok? Did anything melt?

Custom exhaust. Im gonna have a custom exhaust made(catback) Im just going to run a straight 3 inch pipe all the way back to where the bumper is and have a straight through muffler. What muffler should I use, or should I just put a tip on it. If its really loud it doesnt matter. What do you think. Tips/ suggestions are appreciated.


I have a 3" hks catless exaust on my 05 sti and its not to loud. Open exaust that that exits under the car will make a hell of a racket.
rbtlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Why waste all that piping? Just run a 2-3' pipe off your turbo and have it dump right into the cabin.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
WrxRick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85761
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2005 05' STi
Black

Default

If you have cats you won't be too loud.
WrxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Zspectrum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152933
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
CT9A
TB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxRick View Post
If you have cats you won't be too loud.
It was pretty loud. I just had a 2.5inch pipe run out the back not very loud.
Zspectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
WrxRick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85761
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2005 05' STi
Black

Default

^ I've gone through about 3 different exhaust setups and removing all cats definitely increases decibals. Like immensely. I'm not trying to say your exhaust setup was quiet, but if you had cats I can guarantee that if you took them out your setup would be very loud. Not to mention if you get a catless downpipe and just run that open with no exhaust after it!
WrxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Zspectrum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152933
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
CT9A
TB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxRick View Post
^ I've gone through about 3 different exhaust setups and removing all cats definitely increases decibals. Like immensely. I'm not trying to say your exhaust setup was quiet, but if you had cats I can guarantee that if you took them out your setup would be very loud. Not to mention if you get a catless downpipe and just run that open with no exhaust after it!
I know, I had a catless 350z and that car was loud. Hurt ear drums. Im taking off all the cats. New uppipe(I know The stock one doesnt have a cat but It cant hurt) New downpipe with no cat and of course a catless unresonated exhaust.
Zspectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
rendog24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125463
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: land of sucky sports teams
Vehicle:
6002

Default

when i installed my catless dp 3inch, i only left the axleback off and it was stupid loud. i drove down two houses and came back to put the axleback back on. on the melting, my friend simply took off his axleback on a stock sti, for the subie rumble and it melted his diffuser
rendog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
WrxRick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85761
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2005 05' STi
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspectrum View Post
I know, I had a catless 350z and that car was loud. Hurt ear drums. Im taking off all the cats. New uppipe(I know The stock one doesnt have a cat but It cant hurt) New downpipe with no cat and of course a catless unresonated exhaust.
Waste of your money if you get a new uppipe. Have you seen the STi uppipe in person? It's identical to an aftermarket uppipe. Very well constructed...save your money. If you ever go big turbo (rotated mount) you'll need a new uppipe anyway for the external wastegate. Just wait...
WrxRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Novtec1
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 13641
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
08 Audi RS4
03 SY WRX (DAILY)

Default

07 sti + catless with no EM ain't good.

read it...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1312689
Novtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
calib17a
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 64150
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

I'm running vf36 ts version 9 dp with gutted cat and stock sti cb exhaust. Quiet and stealth ftw!
calib17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
VR62STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 45417
Join Date: Oct 2003
Default

I built a couple homemade exhausts... I like Magnaflow mufflers, in all stainless steel, of course. They are really well built for the money, and have a quality "familiar" sound (maybe cause so many fabricators use them). I also used a cheap "Otto" muffler off Ebay and it wasn't too bad - especially for $40! As long as it's stainless and you can look thru to the other end it's fine.
VR62STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #13
Zspectrum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152933
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
CT9A
TB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxRick View Post
Waste of your money if you get a new uppipe. Have you seen the STi uppipe in person? It's identical to an aftermarket uppipe. Very well constructed...save your money. If you ever go big turbo (rotated mount) you'll need a new uppipe anyway for the external wastegate. Just wait...
I have an sti. So yes Ive seen it. I dont plan on going bigger turbo for a while. Or not until I have a fully built motor.
Zspectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Exhaust Question. joehack98 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 7 10-28-2006 04:18 PM
Custom Exhaust question? 02imprezaWRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 09-16-2005 02:15 AM
custom exhaust question ero2 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 07-02-2004 02:36 AM
custom exhaust question shaggz Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 0 02-14-2004 09:20 PM
2", 2.125", or 2.25" custom exhaust question Jgrahn555 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 1 02-16-2001 02:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.