Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 1, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-31-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
chrisagu28
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 263220
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx / Sti conv.
2014 XV Crosstrek

Default Legacy to Outback wiring help

Hey everybody. so I have searched the internet for many days, looked at the service manual and even the been to the junk yard various times to figure it out.

I have a 1997 awd 2.2 Brighton legacy wagon. I am doing a power door and possibly 2.5 conversion while rebuilding the engine and I picked up a 1997 full interior outback harness and everything was going great until I got to the fuel tank plugs. My car has two white plugs and the outback harness and one black plug like so.

So I looked in the service manual and it says the two plug design is for the 2.2 awd only, so I found a 97 2.2 legacy L in the junk yard with the same single black plug and every other legacy has the black plug. There is no info on the service manual for the black plug.

I would just swap fuel tank harnesses (since i have the outback fuel tank harness too) but it appears the emissions from the 2.2 to 2.5 (black plug) is very different. so what I am asking is. Does anybody have info on why mine is different, what cars actually came with the two white plug design with power options, or what I can do to get around this issue besides swapping the tank and entire emissions system? Thanks everybody!
chrisagu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Trikester
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424209
Default wiring issue

I've never run into this exact problem before, but think of it this way. Your fuel pump has only three needed wires, a positive power source for the pump, a fuel level wire which measures resistance to tell your gauge what fuel level you have, and a ground, usually provided by the metal of the fuel tank itself. So really only two wires.
If I were you, I'd try hooking up the two wires you had already, and if you get fuel, and your gauge works, you're done. Hope this helps-Trikester
Trikester is offline   Reply With Quote