Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #301
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post

Did you even look at where his radiator is in the second pic?

You can move the motors back but its just a little bit. You start running into other issues aside from front axle length, driveshaft length, changing mounting holes on trans and motor, shortening the pitch mount, start to have issues with power steering lines and location as well...oil pan to x-member clearance too.

A few things to think about for a little bit of room
I did indeed. Was talking of the general stadpoint that it would need to be nice and forward from the "normal" mounting position to make more room without throwing other things off.
-Gaddis
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #302
amirul
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198594
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Canberra - Australia
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye WRX
Candy Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
Yes the engine is close to the radiator. All EG33 H6 swaps into Imprezas will have that issue without converting to RWD to nullify the need for aligning the front axles. Some do try to scoot it back. DS1Motorsport's company project EZ30D swap is scootched back some but not much. The EG33 is a LONG engine so the better option would likely be to just move the radiator a little more forward. BTW.... THAT"S A HUGE F'ING TURBO! :drool: So what about the project is unfinished? Looks mostly done to me. Anywho good luck and let us know if we can answer anything else.
-Gaddis
i thought so, i bought it off some dude which he said been of the road bout 1 yr. he lost interest to finish it since he spending more times with grandkids these days. that rite, grandkids. hes 49 yrs.

my plan like u suggested to go RWD since. i have bought 9" diff and have booked to do mini tubs @ rear with 4 link suspension and ANDRA (Australian National Drag racing association) approved cage.

once that sorted i'll c wat the go with the motor etc. Car already have 6 speed STi gearbox.
amirul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #303
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

^^^ LOL Grandkids. That's not that old though. I mean my father's 65(as of this month) and he wasn't a grandfather till 2 years ago(One of my brother's not me. I can't afford kids which is probably the only reason i have had any yet.) Sounds though like you have a good plan for the car and probably got it for a good price. Keep us up to date on what you find. LOL's again! Grandkids. When I have grandkids I'll still be doing stuff like that! same with great grandkids i suppose.
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #304
eg33GC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206851
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 V4
EJ20K RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post

Did you even look at where his radiator is in the second pic?

You can move the motors back but its just a little bit. You start running into other issues aside from front axle length, driveshaft length, changing mounting holes on trans and motor, shortening the pitch mount, start to have issues with power steering lines and location as well...oil pan to x-member clearance too.

A few things to think about for a little bit of room
unfortunately, no the motor can not be moved back..
if it was, the engine mounts would have to be made different, the trans pitch mount would need to be made shorter, the starter would basically hit the firewall, and even with all of that the oil pan would hit the crossmember.
then the headers would hit, the shifter linkage wouldnt sit correctly, the tranny cross member wouldnt bolt up, teh list goes on.
eg33GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #305
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg33GC View Post
unfortunately, no the motor can not be moved back..
if it was, the engine mounts would have to be made different, the trans pitch mount would need to be made shorter, the starter would basically hit the firewall, and even with all of that the oil pan would hit the crossmember.
then the headers would hit, the shifter linkage wouldnt sit correctly, the tranny cross member wouldnt bolt up, teh list goes on.
In other words, YES, the engine can be moved back, but not without a lot of other work, which is exactly what Homemade WRX said in the post you quoted.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #306
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
In other words, YES, the engine can be moved back, but not without a lot of other work, which is exactly what Homemade WRX said in the post you quoted.
Anything and everything with money! Right, Pat? We're both in the same boat on our EZ's. Money building up to get them the parts needed to run.
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #307
SVXT6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 159991
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: The Shakey Isles of NZ
Vehicle:
1973 GSR,Fuji Rabbit
Yellow with black stripe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirul View Post
i thought so, i bought it off some dude which he said been of the road bout 1 yr. he lost interest to finish it since he spending more times with grandkids these days. that rite, grandkids. hes 49 yrs.

my plan like u suggested to go RWD since. i have bought 9" diff and have booked to do mini tubs @ rear with 4 link suspension and ANDRA (Australian National Drag racing association) approved cage.

once that sorted i'll c wat the go with the motor etc. Car already have 6 speed STi gearbox.
If you go RWD you can use a RWD manual transittion off a toyota supra or etc. Needs to be moddified but would probley be better to use than converting a 6spd.
Theres a few other guys ive known off who used it in in RWD WRXs and Drifting WRXs etc. they seemed to not have any problems with it.

If you stay 4WD keep the 6spd transmittion
SVXT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #308
amirul
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 198594
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Canberra - Australia
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye WRX
Candy Red

Default

thanx a lot for the info guys, the more the better!! really appreciate it. anyhoo i have strip the car apart, wiring etc. should be off to sandblasting next month or so. once that done i'll post some pics.
amirul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #309
PseudoKirby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203835
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Aspen White

Default

hey has anyone tried to get this swap CARB approval?

EG33 in a GC

I mean I read the guidelines for California, engine must be same year or newer than the car, ect..

I mean people can get LS1 swaps into 240sx's and RX7's approved why not this?
PseudoKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #310
sick1.8t
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22345
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2003 RSX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirul View Post
whats the up pipe look like on this? i'm interested to see how it was routed up to the turbo.
sick1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #311
sick1.8t
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22345
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2003 RSX
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirul View Post
whats the up pipe look like on this? i'm interested to see how it was routed up to the turbo.
sick1.8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #312
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoKirby View Post
hey has anyone tried to get this swap CARB approval?

EG33 in a GC

I mean I read the guidelines for California, engine must be same year or newer than the car, ect..

I mean people can get LS1 swaps into 240sx's and RX7's approved why not this?
LS1's can be bought as crate motors which means you can buy a 2009 really if you want so that is put as a mute point. What you have to do it get an inspection done by the state by the officail state department. They go over the whole car with a visial inspection and sniffer test and the like. I'll be having to deal with this after my 30R is running and i move to Cali.
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #313
kingbobdole
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85055
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: colorado
Vehicle:
1989 XT-6

Default

Bump! Anyone running ethanol in their EZ swapped cars? I got my fuel trim number back to the negatives so I'm thinking of giving it a splash.
kingbobdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #314
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbobdole View Post
Bump! Anyone running ethanol in their EZ swapped cars? I got my fuel trim number back to the negatives so I'm thinking of giving it a splash.
Jeff is. Do a search. I don't remember if he posted the results though.
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #315
tripperking
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29484
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Vegas
Vehicle:
98 RS
Red

Default

subscribed
tripperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #316
sponaugle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4498
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Oregon
Vehicle:
WRX H6-3.0 Turbo
www.surgelinetuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbobdole View Post
Bump! Anyone running ethanol in their EZ swapped cars? I got my fuel trim number back to the negatives so I'm thinking of giving it a splash.
yes.. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1645176

Jeff
sponaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #317
kingbobdole
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85055
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: colorado
Vehicle:
1989 XT-6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
Awesome car... but that's a little different... I'm a D, N/A and using stock management...

I actually threw two gallons in the mix tonight... Ima watch my fuel trims well. Should be ok. I hope
kingbobdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #318
barto84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199099
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: toowoomba Australia
Vehicle:
2006 my06 sti
crytal grey

Default

hey guys just wanted to post up wat we're doin in australia if someone hasnt already. Im doin ez30 in a 06sti with a gt4092 turbo. just waitin on some parts to get it together. cant wait to finish it to see wat power we will get
barto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #319
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto84 View Post
hey guys just wanted to post up wat we're doin in australia if someone hasnt already. Im doin ez30 in a 06sti with a gt4092 turbo. just waitin on some parts to get it together. cant wait to finish it to see wat power we will get
I would put money down on about 600WHP. LOL Perrin Performance and the other Jeff(from 3 posts up) were one of the first and that's what they were making with simular builts. Oh is that a single or twin scroll turbo?
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #320
barto84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199099
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: toowoomba Australia
Vehicle:
2006 my06 sti
crytal grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
I would put money down on about 600WHP. LOL Perrin Performance and the other Jeff(from 3 posts up) were one of the first and that's what they were making with simular builts. Oh is that a single or twin scroll turbo?
-Gaddis
its goin to be a twin scroll im doin a ez30d tho
barto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #321
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto84 View Post
its goin to be a twin scroll im doin a ez30d tho
Ah then only mostly(death. [Had to say it The Princes Bride ROcKS!]) the same build. I would guess power output at around 450-550 WHP depending on work done to the engine in that case. Keep us posted.
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #322
Baldturbofreak
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36886
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Honeoye, New York
Vehicle:
2002 WRX,95 Tvette
Black/Red

Default

So jsut read thru the whole thread. It gives me evil ideas.

Now on engine management, has anyone made a Obd2 pcm work to the point that it can pass the readiness monitors?
All other aspect of fabrication seem well within out shop's capabilities, as does the electronics, but IM no software engineer.

My 02 wrex jsut broke the ringland in #3. Just kicking ideas around...
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #323
sponaugle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4498
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, Oregon
Vehicle:
WRX H6-3.0 Turbo
www.surgelinetuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto84 View Post
hey guys just wanted to post up wat we're doin in australia if someone hasnt already. Im doin ez30 in a 06sti with a gt4092 turbo. just waitin on some parts to get it together. cant wait to finish it to see wat power we will get
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
Ah then only mostly(death. [Had to say it The Princes Bride ROcKS!]) the same build. I would guess power output at around 450-550 WHP depending on work done to the engine in that case. Keep us posted.
-Gaddis
With a 4094, I would agree that 450-550 would not be a problem. Jeff Perrin's 4094 setup was in the mid 500s without much work, and my 35R EZ30R is at 505whp on E85. We are both running the Supertec pistons and Pauter rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak View Post
So jsut read thru the whole thread. It gives me evil ideas.

Now on engine management, has anyone made a Obd2 pcm work to the point that it can pass the readiness monitors?
All other aspect of fabrication seem well within out shop's capabilities, as does the electronics, but IM no software engineer.

My 02 wrex jsut broke the ringland in #3. Just kicking ideas around...
To have the car pass rediness codes, you would need an ECU that implements OBD2... of course the aftermarket ECUs (link, Vipic, Autronic, Hydra, Motec, etc) do not do that. If you could get a factory H6 engine control to work, as well as to get the systems need for the 'Readiness Monitors' to pass, you would be good to go. That can be a bit more of a pain depending on what year ECU you use. For the newer EZ30R cars, most of the ECUs have the immobilzer, so you need to get around that first.

Jeff
sponaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #324
Baldturbofreak
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36886
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Honeoye, New York
Vehicle:
2002 WRX,95 Tvette
Black/Red

Default

So basically id be way farther ahead to just run the motor using a Megasquirt (cakework if you've done a dozen or two), keep the wrex ecm in the car and load the outputs with a dummybox.
Does anyone know if the crank trigger/cam trigger is the same on the H6 as the H4?
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #325
Drakar
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68402
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2009 Forester XT
Camellia Red Pearl

Default

didn't all EZ30 ecu's run as OBDII and EG33 96/97 obdII? you could use either and run N/A or piggy back for boost?? yes no?

could you run an early EG33 (ie obd1) off a newer ecu and just update the sensors and tune out the others?
Drakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vag-Com cable resource thread cooleys04 Open Source Reflashes 270 03-31-2014 06:49 PM
The Impreza @$$ Thread - The Beautiful Impreza Backside! PICS! Upscale_Automotive Member's Car Gallery 8 10-03-2007 05:56 AM
The 2008 Impreza Photoshop thread...post them here adizon Member's Car Gallery 307 09-20-2007 12:36 AM
The 2006 Impreza/Impreza WRX/Impreza WRX-STi thread (merged thread) wrxpeed News & Rumors 938 05-17-2005 12:11 AM
Photo - Anders "loving on" the H6 Impreza Fred South East Region Forum 8 02-23-2004 06:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.