Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
Worknclassbug
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153236
Default A/C problem on '93 wagon

For some time I've had a problem with the a/c working intermitently. It would sometimes just not come on at all or just shut off after working for a while. Everything was coming on except the compressor. I finally tracked down the problem today. I pulled the glovebox out and dug around a little on the HVAC unit box. I pulled out the fan resistor module so that I could see inside the HVAC box. I could see the evaporator and the thin copper tube that should be the thermocouple device that turns off the compressor when the evaporator gets cold enough. I could not see where it went though. On top of the HVAC box I found another small black box that has two grey wires coming out of the top of the HVAC box going into the back of it and a regular wire connector on the front. I started the car and turned on the a/c and got nothing until I gave the little relay a little pull and then the a/c came on. When I pushed the relay back into it's little cradle I lost the a/c. As long as I had the relay pulled out of it's cradle and hanging the a/c worked. I tried the same thing again today and the same thing happened. I know I have a short somewhere. Probably in the grey wires going into the HVAC box. My question is where can I find a break down of the HVAC sytem of my car so that I can figure out what this relay/sensor thing is called and figure out where the grey wires wind up without pulling out the whole dash. Anybody have any ideas? I'm going to try to snap a picture of the thing tomorrow.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Worknclassbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Ej22techie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156051
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy L Sedan

it might be the evaporator sensor... they do go bad on these cars.
Ej22techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Worknclassbug
Scooby Newbie

It appears that is what I'm looking at. I'm gonna check on a new one tomorrow. Anyone ever replace one? Looks like it may be a pain.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Worknclassbug
Scooby Newbie

Turns out it wasn't that bad to disasemble the evaporator unit. The new sensor is $67 but it will be worth it if that fixes the problem. Getting one ordered tomorrow. It looks a little cheap. Looks like something I would make on my workbench. Maybe that's why it failed...lol.