08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Mitsubishi Motors lineup at 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show
New European Lancer sedan
Tokyo, August 29, 2007 -- Mitsubishi Motors Corporation and its European unit Mitsubishi Motors Europe B.V. will unveil the European market version of the new Lancer sports sedan at the 62nd Internationale Automobil Ausstellung (IAA; commonly known as the Frankfurt Motor Show). In addition to the Lancer, the Mitsubishi innovative Electric Vehicle (i MiEV*1) will be shown to the European public for the first time (press day only) and the MITSUBISHI Concept-cX*2 compact SUV will have its global unveiling. In total, 19 models (17 during press pre-viewing) will be on display. Held at the Frankfurt Messe Complex, the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show will be open to the public from September 15 through 23, with press and media pre-viewing September 11 through 14.
The new Lancer sedan has already been launched in North America, Russia and Japan (Japan-market name: Galant Fortis) and has been well-received as a "global standard sporty sedan" that achieves the optimum balance between quality of ride, road performance, safety, environmental and comfort performance.
To meet European market requirements, three engines are available in the new Lancer: a new 1.8-liter DOHC MIVEC with aluminum cylinder block [max. output 105 kW (143 PS)]; a 2-liter turbocharged diesel [103 kW (140 PS)]; and a 1.5-liter DOHC MIVEC [80 kW (109PS)] unit.
The MITSUBISHI Concept-cX is a new-generation compact SUV that realizes the ideal balance between environmental and everyday practical performance. The concept car is powered by a new Euro 5 compliant high-output, high-efficiency 1.8-liter clean diesel engine mated to Mitsubishi's new Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission) that delivers superior power transmission efficiency. This powertrain delivers zippy performance with excellent fuel economy and low emissions. Among the number of new environmental technologies applied in the Concept-cX is the extensive use of interior trim materials made from Mitsubishi's own Green Plastic -- made from bamboo and other plant-based resins -- part of an effort to stop global warming and slow the depletion of oil reserves.
The Mitsubishi Motors Frankfurt Motor Show press briefing is scheduled to start at 10 am on Tuesday September 11 and will be held at the company's stand.
*1 i-EV in Germany-market
*2 cX: compact crossover
1. New European Lancer sedan product features
- The packaging realizes generous living space with a body that is wider and taller but only slightly longer than the current model. The wider track realizes better stability.
- The exterior design creates a body with vibrant looks and a strong road presence using proportions comprising a large cabin wrapped in sporty, wide-stance styling and by combining the Mitsubishi Motors hallmark inverted-slant nose with a trapezoidal grille. The new Lancer is the first model to employ the new design identity that will mark Mitsubishi Motors sedans to be introduced in future.
- The following powertrain configurations are available: A new 1.8-liter DOHC MIVEC engine with aluminum cylinder block [max. output 105 kW (143 PS)] mated to either the INVECS-III 6-speed Sport Mode CVT or a 5-speed manual transmission; a 2-liter turbocharged diesel engine [103 kW (140 PS)] mated to a 6-speed manual transmission; and a 1.5-liter DOHC MIVEC engine [80 kW (109PS)] mated to a 4-speed manual or a 5-speed automatic transmission. All the powertrains deliver responsive power and excellent environmental performance. The high-rigidity platform, used on the Outlander and Delica D:5*3, delivers outstanding crashworthiness; a revamped suspension underpins and supports high levels of handling and response together with safety performance.
- Features enhancing passive and impact safety include: SRS airbags (driver and front passenger airbags, driver knee airbag, side and curtain airbags); adaptive front lighting (AFS) that improves the driver's field of vision at night; and rain-sensitive auto wipers.
- The European Lancer's utility and convenience specification includes a Rockford Fosgate premium sound system, giving superior sound reproduction, as well as with paddle shifters that allow the driver to change gear without taking his hand off the steering wheel. Standard on all models is Mitsubishi Motors Cocochi interior that includes a pollen-removing air filter in its occupant-friendly specification.
*3 Only available in Japan
2. MITSUBISHI Concept-cX product features
- The MITSUBISHI Concept-cX is a compact car that creates a new SUV/sports hatchback crossover category; a crossover that stirs a sense of adventure to "cut a swathe" through the hustle and bustle of urban life. The design gives the exterior a purposeful and functional form using a dynamic wedge shape and large tires. The front visage combines the inverted-slant nose with trapezoidal grille that defines the new Mitsubishi Motors design identity and tailors this to the car's crossover pedigree to project an appearance that is aggressive and powerful. The interior uses a modern and sporty design that engenders a sense of expectation about the car's performance and melds this with a high level of comfort. By visually accenting the strength of the underlying frame structure and through the contrasting use of soft padding, the design creates an interior space that wraps its occupants in a protective and comfortable cocoon.
- The concept car uses a new high-output, high-efficiency 1.8-liter clean diesel engine, featuring a variable geometry (VG) turbocharger for optimum boost control and a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) with diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system for compliance with Europe's Euro 5 emission standards. The power unit is mated to Mitsubishi's new Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission) which delivers superior power transmission efficiency in a powertrain that realizes zippy performance with excellent fuel economy and low emissions.
- MITSUBISHI Concept-cX employs interior trim materials made from Mitsubishi's own Green Plastic -- made from plant-based resins -- in a step to stop global warming and slow the depletion of oil reserves.
- In its packaging MITSUBISHI Concept-cX 's 4100 mm compact body makes for easy maneuverability around town and the high driving position improves visibility and brings the easy drivability expected of a SUV. Utility is enhanced with the split tailgate already well received on the Outlander for the way it facilitates loading and unloading of luggage. In the performance department, Concept-cX also uses Mitsubishi's electronically-controlled 4WD system and large 225/45R19 tires to deliver outstanding handling performance and stability both on tarmac and off-road.