Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 73805
Default Mitsubishi planning all-electric car for 2010

Mitsubishi planning all-electric car for 2010
http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/m...-car-for-2010/

After suffering a tumultuous past decade Mitsubishi is finally on the turnaround and has exciting products like the new Evo X and several upcoming concepts to keep us on out toes. Its president Osamu Masuko has now revealed the carmaker’s strategy for the future and plans to launch several new electric cars and efficient diesels and flex-fuel vehicles.

Masuko hinted that the next-gen Colt small car is being developed as a global model and could be sold in the U.S. for the first time. Instead of going down the hybrid route, which most other carmakers are heading in, Mitsubishi will be focusing on launching new ultra-efficient diesels over the coming years, as well electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-ins.
Development of EVs is already underway and is a top priority at Mitsubishi, Masuko explained to reporters from Edmunds. “We’d like to boost the numbers of electric vehicles. The technology that goes into them could be adapted to developing a hybrid. We’d like to build an electric vehicle and have it lead to a plug-in hybrid,” he said.

The common stumbling block for all carmakers pursuing EVs is battery technology. To overcome this, Mitsubishi will form a joint venture with GS Yuasa Corporation to develop new batteries for an EV that’s near completion. “Since there’s no big obstacle left in bringing it to the market, we’re developing it with a view that first sales are in sight,” Masuko boasted.

Pictured above is the Mitsubishi i MiEV concept car that was rumored to enter production next year but is now slated for a 2010 launch.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Yobz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 121490
Chapter/Region: NESIC

What's with the fuel cap on the car if it's an all electric car?
Yobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru

Member#: 44501
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

It's for the plug, perhaps?
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobz View Post
What's with the fuel cap on the car if it's an all electric car?
Perhaps because its a concept/test car developed using a regularly-fueled chassis...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

I read countless articles about "The Green World" and the Technology driving it.All of them say there is not a battery good enough yet for electric cars.But everybody has an electric car or one coming out.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
flyinpig
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43640
Vehicle:
2015 Levorg sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverboy View Post
It's for the plug, perhaps?
yup.
flyinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Default Mitsubishi and Subaru Electric Cars Go On Sale in Japan Next Month

Quote:
Friday is World Environment Day, and Mitsubishi used the occasion to unveil the final production version of its i-MiEV electric car, which goes on sale in Japan in about six weeks.
The company expects to distribute about 1,400 Mitsubishi i-MiEV models to companies and municipal bodies through March 2010 on what it calls a "maintenance lease," meaning just the costs of taxes, insurance, and regular servicing.
Individual consumers will be able to place orders for the MiEV starting late next month, with deliveries to begin in April 2009. The price will be 3 million yen (roughly $31,000).
The 2010 Mitsubishi i-MiEV uses a 16-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery from Lithium Energy Japan, the company's joint venture with lithium cell maker GS Yuasa. It powers a 47-kilowatt electric motor powering the rear wheels through a single-speed transmission.
The four-seat, five-door hatchback is one of the first of a wave of highway-capable electric vehicles to be offered by major automakers. Its range is 100 miles on the Japanese driving cycle.
The name combines the "i" model name of the base vehicle--yep, it's just known as the Mitsubishi "i"--with the abbreviation for Mitsubishi innovative Electric Vehicle. In case you're wondering, it's pronounced "EYE-meeve".
A few i-MiEVs are being tested in California by utilities and other fleet users. The company has suggested that it might offer the next i-MiEV to US buyers.
Mitsubishi's announcement comes the same day as Subaru announced that it would also offer its four-door Plug-In Stella for sale in late July as well. The company only expects to sell about 170 Subaru Plug-In Stellas through next March, or 15 percent of the i-MiEV volume.
The Subaru Plug-In Stella uses a much smaller 9-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery, also driving a 47-kilowatt motor. Its range is roughly 50 miles.

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news_details.php?id=1090
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Default Mitsubishi prices EV at $45,660

Quote:
TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp. has priced its new electric vehicle at ¥4.38 million, or $45,660 at current exchange rates, and wants EVs to account for 20 percent of its global output by 2020.

Mitsubishi unveiled the production version of its i MiEV battery-powered car today, saying it aims for 1,400 lease sales to corporate customers and local governments by March 31, 2010. The i MiEV goes on sale in Japan late next month.

Separately, Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. unveiled an electric version of the Subaru Stella small car, also priced above $40,000. But Mitsubishi's sales goals are more ambitious than those for the Stella and include some overseas sales. The Subaru Stella won't be sold outside Japan.

Europe gets a version of the i MiEV next year. The U.S. launch of the lithium ion battery-powered car comes after that. Those prices haven't been announced.

Individual sales in Japan start in April 2010. Mitsubishi will begin taking those orders in July.
Buyers can qualify for a $14,490 green-car subsidy from the government, bringing the cost down to $31,170.

99-mile range
The four-seat, bubble-shaped i MiEV is the centerpiece of Mitsubishi's plan to leapfrog bigger rivals such as Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. in environmentally friendly technology. Mitsubishi missed the hybrid-vehicle boom and wants to move straight into zero-emissions EVs.

The small commuter car has a single-charge range of 99 miles, which Mitsubishi says is good enough for 90 percent of the average Japanese daily driving needs. It can recharge its battery in 14 hours on 100-volt power, in seven hours on 200 volts and in 30 minutes on a high-output quick charger. For a bit of futuristic flare, the i MiEV is the first car from Mitsubishi to have light-emitting diode headlamps and taillights.

In tandem with the i MiEV launch, Mitsubishi outlined new green-car goals for 2020. Besides wanting EVs to account for 20 percent of its global production by that date, the company wants to halve the average carbon dioxide emissions of its global lineup.

In the factory, Mitsubishi aims to cut per-vehicle carbon dioxide emissions by 20 percent from 2005 levels.

Subaru, too
Fuji Heavy Industries launched lease sales of its own electric vehicle in Japan yesterday. It is a plug-in version of the Subaru Stella minicar.

Deliveries of the Stella start next month. Fuji is targeting leases of 170 units by next April.

The Stella EV is priced at $49,255 and is eligible for a government subsidy similar to that offered on Mitsubishi's i MiEV. Subaru has no plans to sell the car overseas.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...906049966/1186
Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru

Member#: 24654
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVANTI R5 View Post
I read countless articles about "The Green World" and the Technology driving it.All of them say there is not a battery good enough yet for electric cars.But everybody has an electric car or one coming out.
Its not that hard to make an electric car; the hard part is getting the range up and the price down to the point where they are competitive with gas cars.

Quote:
The common stumbling block for all carmakers pursuing EVs is battery technology. To overcome this, Mitsubishi will form a joint venture with GS Yuasa Corporation to develop new batteries for an EV that’s near completion. “Since there’s no big obstacle left in bringing it to the market, we’re developing it with a view that first sales are in sight,” Masuko boasted.
I would say the need to develop a new battery is a pretty big obstacle.
Mike Wevrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
b7g
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 135023
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 OBXT
325i

Damn It! It's too expensive. Mitsu needs to keep the price under $30k for the car to sell. At $40-45k it is priced in Europe and Japan, we will not buy them...
b7g is offline   Reply With Quote