Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Bullwinkle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154661
Question Legacy Brighton Rear Whl Brg question

After buying two separate wheel bearings from ebay sellers, I have a question as to their compatibility. One is an NTN bearing from Subaru so that's not the problem. The other is an NTN bearing with the same physical dimensions, except for a small recess cut in the middle of the outer race(maybe .010" deep and 15 mm wide) and it has a plastic sleeve inside the inner race. I lightly tapped the plastic piece out of there and the far side bearing came out with it. Out of this I have a few questions:

1. Is there a problem using this bearing if it is the right dimensions? I'm assuming the machine shop can deal with the pressing of the hub into the innner race one half at a time

2.Since it appears that the Subaru NTN bearing has the darker molybdumum grease in it and the generic NTN has some Vaseline-looking stuff, should I take it apart and use the better grease or is the white stuff likely superior to the moly grease ie. some sort of synthetic?

3. Any special tips to get the rear knuckles off without major hammer/profanity/stress?

Thanks

DM&FS
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote