Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
billionaire7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122428
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: USA
Default GT37R Axis S5 Cosworth Head/Cam

I'm wondering what kind of power this would make...

Axis Stage 5 Motor
Garrett GT3782R
Cosworth Head
Cosworth 274/278 Cam
1600cc injectors
Hydra EMS
And about everything else needed to run to it full potential..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
billionaire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

It would make A LOT of power! Good luck.

Last edited by MJU1983; 10-17-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Trying to keep "on topic."
MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

530 something wheel and maxing 1000cc injectors...was it a stroker motor?

also your head/cam statement...makning a bold statement based off of no evidence?...if you have evidence, I'd love to see it

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 10-17-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
billionaire7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122428
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: USA
Default

^ True. I have made 488whp on 91oct and 56x on C16/28lbs with the Cosworth heads and 272/272 cam (street app.) along with the GT3582R. And this was all done on stock bottom end.

I'm asking because these Cosworth parts work well, very well! Along side a bulletproof motor, 9k redline, a stronger cam, and a turbo that keeps making power all the way to redline this combonation is capable of 700s. That is what I think...
billionaire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

I wouldn't see spinning a EJ257 with 278/274 cams and a 37r to 9k to be very productive...power should be topped off and falling before then.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 10-17-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
530 something wheel and maxing 1000cc injectors...was it a stroker motor?

also your head/cam statement...makning a bold statement based off of no evidence?...i fyou have evidence, I'd love to see it
I have seen everyones work / results. I know what works better and why: air flow.

MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Devan M
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 83435
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Team Crawford Performance
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJU1983 View Post
I have seen everyones work / results. I know what works better and why: air flow.

I assume you are referring to great results like these; http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1245492
Devan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
ejh25
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 65267
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaire7 View Post
^ True. I have made 488whp on 91oct and 56x on C16/28lbs with the Cosworth heads and 272/272 cam (street app.) along with the GT3582R. And this was all done on stock bottom end.

I'm asking because these Cosworth parts work well, very well! Along side a bulletproof motor, 9k redline, a stronger cam, and a turbo that keeps making power all the way to redline this combonation is capable of 700s. That is what I think...
9k redline?

Yikes.
ejh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan M View Post
I assume you are referring to great results like these; http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1245492
I certainly am partial to a certain builder, as you are. I apologize if I offended you.

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited by MJU1983; 10-17-2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Trying to keep "on topic."
MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
blowbyu24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84482
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA / Element Tuning
Vehicle:
2005 STI.UR gt4088r
E85 pro comp sti

Default

e85 maxes out injectors much much quicker
blowbyu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Jeremy@Cobb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 106514
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

Depending on the dyno 525WHP+ on C16 is not out of the question.

Should be similar to the following, but a little more lag due to the engine being smaller.
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Gallery/STI/Chase/dyno.jpg

What is the car going to be used for? .. a larger turbine housing will be needed for big power!
The car above uses a 1.06 exhaust housing.

- J.

Last edited by Jeremy@Cobb; 10-17-2007 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Keeping this thread on track.
Jeremy@Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowbyu24 View Post
e85 maxes out injectors much much quicker
true and I completely missed the e85 comment until you posted that

I really would love to do a flow bench comparison of axis, cobb, crawford and any other head...take velocity profiles on all of them and see which is the "best" on the bench. This is closest and most thorough comparison without doing numerous, tedious, head installs to get real power as the bench can only do so much.

still working on getting more toys...like an engine dyno

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 10-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@Cobb View Post
Please... do not post without info to back up your statement!

I have yet to see a Subaru head flow better than the Cobb CNC!

"the difference is night and day.. trust me... but... I have no proof"
I will give you credit in that they are better than your old stuff.

Last edited by MJU1983; 10-17-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: trying to stay on-topic
MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

well hear comes a he said she said pissing match...well, could have been in interesting thread.

I will say that I've been impressed with few of the builds that get done by some of the large engine builders/tuners...not going to name anyone, as I don't like pissing on others as I don't know if I can do any better but we'll see.
I do know of one that I would NEVER run though...and shipping from california would be costly anyhow
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

Sorry, didn't mean to ruin the OP thread. I will go and edit my posts to help keep this on track. Afterall, I love this site. <3
MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
Jeremy@Cobb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 106514
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

Good luck with your build!

Last edited by Jeremy@Cobb; 10-17-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Keeping the thread on track.
Jeremy@Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #17
billionaire7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 122428
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@Cobb View Post
Please... do not post without info to back up your statement!
I have yet to see a Subaru head flow better than the Cobb CNC!

"the difference is night and day.. trust me... but... I have no proof"

Remember it is easy to get the intake ports to flow well, the exhaust ports are another story.

Aside from all of this, the real proof is power.

http://www.harmanmotive.com/Gallery/STI/Chase/dyno.jpg

There is plenty more in this daily driver! The customer is currently happy with the current power levels.
I would be happy myself, with a 485whp California pump gas daily driver!

Build details...

Is this the STi with all the pink...
billionaire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

jeremy, what do you suspect to be choking off the top of the torque curve on that engine? I'm assuming it was just a EJ257 (or bigger?) w/heads, cams and 1.06 35r?...

still nice to see it just under 600 on c16...the nitrous run however...can you say goodbye drivetrain
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #19
Jeremy@Cobb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 106514
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaire7 View Post
Build details...

Is this the STi with all the pink...
Yes this is the "all the pink" car.
http://www.harmanmotive.com/Gallery/...ase/index.html
Jeremy@Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #20
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8785
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 c_turner@ix.
netcom.com

Default

I personaly would not bother with the 37R. I would go to the GT4094. This will ensure you will get up in the 600's. The compressor is to small on that 37 turbo.

Clark
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #21
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

I'm not a fan of th 37r either...
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #22
drewwrxrogers
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132574
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Missouri
Vehicle:
04 Aspen White Sti
GT35r, axis motor,280cams

Default

Axis Ron Ftw!!!!!!!
drewwrxrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #23
LiquidForce
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12811
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Roswell Ga
Vehicle:
2002 2.5l Wrx
517whp/516wtq (Stage pi)

Default

......

Last edited by LiquidForce; 10-17-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: everyone else was editing their post so I figured I'd edit mine.
LiquidForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
tino
Top Scoob 019
 
Member#: 43630
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Down Under
Vehicle:
2004 GT40R-built 2.5
604 whp @1.8 BAR on VP109

Default

i dont think those cams will push to 9k with that turbo..

more like 7500-8000rpm imo..
tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #25
MJU1983
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14364
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, '06 Armada
05 Vette & 05 STi (sold)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino View Post
i dont think those cams will push to 9k with that turbo..

more like 7500-8000rpm imo..
If that, need bigger ones!
MJU1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : heads cams valves springs reatiners, valvelocks fastlanerex Engine/Power/Exhaust 51 09-30-2010 06:17 PM
07 STi UR GT35R Kit, Cosworth heads/cams/block ChrisSK Proven Power Bragging 62 10-12-2007 11:54 AM
Cosworth Heads/Cams billionaire7 Engine/Power/Exhaust 1 08-23-2007 04:46 PM
FS- Axis stg2 9500rpm jun cammed heads +more WRXpkr Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 92 06-20-2005 05:36 PM
Axis stg2 9500rpm jun cammed heads WRXpkr Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 9 05-12-2005 10:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.