Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
ZeppelinPie792
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160287
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Pearl Blue

Default Switching airbag from A to B - Help!

I would like to get an STi steering wheel for my 2.5i, as I love leather steering wheels. I would also like to pay 50-100$ for one without an airbag instead of 350$ for one with an airbag. I have been told that I can just switch the airbag from my steering wheel to the new one. I can't find anywhere on how to do this, and don't want to screw up anything trying myself.

...Help?
ZeppelinPie792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
ZeppelinPie792
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Pearl Blue

..bump
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
tludwins539
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 149764
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2007 2.5i
OBP

You will have to get the full steering wheel with airbag for it to work/look correct. Your airbag will not fit into a STi steering wheel. The only thing you can do is offset the cost of the STi steering wheel and airbag by selling yours.
tludwins539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
shemoves
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80663
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Perhaps you could get one off a wrecked car (rear ended or rolled)?

Even if swapping airpbags were possible, that is not something I, an amateur mechanic, would want to perform. Perhaps you are a pro though. As other have said, I do not think it will fit though due to their differing shapes.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
ZeppelinPie792
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Pearl Blue

That's interesting, I thought an 05+ STi would fit the 05+ impreza airbag. Even the WRX one too, but if you say it is hard, it is not something I will try to attempt in fear of my safety.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
WagonR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

I added an 07 WRX wheel to my 07 2.5i, and used the 2.5i airbag. There is no difference between the 05-07 2.5i airbag and the 05-07 WRX airbag, and the 05-07 sti airbag is exactly the same, except it has the sti logo, instead of the Subaru stars. So you can use your airbag with a 05-07 WRX wheel, or an 05-07 Sti wheel. I hope that helps.
WagonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
WagonR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Satin White Pearl

To answer your original question; there is a write up on scoobymods.com for putting an "impreza wrx steering wheel in forester XT" that has a link to the install, and has a picture that describes how to disconnect the airbag during the swap. It is the older style wheel, and a different car, but the procedure is exactly the same.
WagonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
ZeppelinPie792
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Pearl Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
To answer your original question; there is a write up on scoobymods.com for putting an "impreza wrx steering wheel in forester XT" that has a link to the install, and has a picture that describes how to disconnect the airbag during the swap. It is the older style wheel, and a different car, but the procedure is exactly the same.
I saw that, but I wasn't too sure if there was something about switching the airbag out too, like if it had some difficult procedure. Well, I guess I will just have buy off a steering wheel and get a torque wrench and find out!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
kpluiten
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tludwins539 View Post
You will have to get the full steering wheel with airbag for it to work/look correct. Your airbag will not fit into a STi steering wheel. The only thing you can do is offset the cost of the STi steering wheel and airbag by selling yours.
This is not true. The form factor should be the same as all the 05-07 impreza's share the same driverside airbag module. Chances are that the bags are also tuned the same across all the 05-07 imprezas seeing as how the chasis is relatively unchanged. (and by tuned I mean the ballistic performance of the airbag inflator)

This should be and easy switch. Literally unbolt, remove, replace, rebolt. If you do not have one already, buy a service manual for your car off of ebay (on CD or something). If I recall correctly one of the mods on here sells these on ebay.
kpluiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
ZeppelinPie792
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Newport Pearl Blue

Oh, alright, I thought it would be something more...complicated.

Thanks man a lot.