Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #7351
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

I searched the forums and saw one for sale and pm'ed the guy and he still had it
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #7352
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09subi2.5i View Post
I keep hearing of aggressive cam gears, but I can't find any thing other than the headers and crank pulley. What company makes cam gears for our cars?
http://deltacam.com/
http://www.techworkseng.com/Products...ngine_Cams.htm
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #7353
09subi2.5i
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 331636
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bronx NY/Philly PA
Vehicle:
09 impreza
paprika

Default


Thank you sir, although i think i will stay with crank pulley and headers. Installing those cam gears is too much work!
09subi2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #7354
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09subi2.5i View Post
Thank you sir, although i think i will stay with crank pulley and headers. Installing those cam gears is too much work!
Your welcome and tell me about it
Maybe a few years down the road once my clutch goes out, I'll install a lightweight flywheel and at the same time do the cams...who knows lol.
**Maybe I'm just crazy but are our rear lower control arm's different than the sti's version? I thought the sti's have the pillowball bushing style.
Also has anyone considered upgrading to these? I just found out that they will fit and I am in love http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-LEGAC...60915417105%26

Last edited by KartRacer3; 11-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #7355
Sellars21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304055
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i Rallisport
UEL Headers Magnaflow CBE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09subi2.5i

Thank you sir, although i think i will stay with crank pulley and headers. Installing those cam gears is too much work!
What kind of gains are we talking about with a more aggressive cam?
Sellars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #7356
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkallday2.5i

what kind of supporting mods are needed?
Struts that can handle an aggressive drop with those s-techs
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #7357
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer3
Your welcome and tell me about it
Maybe a few years down the road once my clutch goes out, I'll install a lightweight flywheel and at the same time do the cams...who knows lol.
**Maybe I'm just crazy but are our rear lower control arm's different than the sti's version? I thought the sti's have the pillowball bushing style.
Also has anyone considered upgrading to these? I just found out that they will fit and I am in love http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-LEGAC...60915417105%26
People said that the ones for the STI can fit the WRX's , which in theory, should fit ours. When I was considering it, I took a look under the car and they were pretty much identical. Plus the guy from import image racing said it would fit the WRX's lol

And thankyouthankyouthankyou for that link I was searching high and low for those bad boys. You 100% sure they would fit? I think I'm falling in love too lol
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #7358
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSP671 View Post
People said that the ones for the STI can fit the WRX's , which in theory, should fit ours. When I was considering it, I took a look under the car and they were pretty much identical. Plus the guy from import image racing said it would fit the WRX's lol

And thankyouthankyouthankyou for that link I was searching high and low for those bad boys. You 100% sure they would fit? I think I'm falling in love too lol
Mhmm thats what I thought too but if the sti's offer the pillowball bushing style over the wrx/2.5i regular bushing style than I might as well get the sti version that is a lot cheaper than going aftermarket!
Yeah I just happen to find it on ebay haha. The wrx suspension components are nearly identical to ours however I know that the front swaybar is the only difference that I tend to find (due to turbo/downpipe/etc?) but this thread says that they will fit wrx's:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...303381&page=16
Check out page 16 or post #384!

09subi2.5i- if you got a tune after you get them installed I would say maybe...maybe 25 wheel horsepower

Last edited by KartRacer3; 11-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #7359
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

Depends on what you are going for. You going for the adjustability or to get that stiff nimbleness (doubt thats even a word lol)? I think an aftermarket aluminum one would be better than the lame stamped metal that looks like I can bend it if I wanted to.
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #7360
gbkallday2.5i
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329199
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fultonville NY
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSP671

Struts that can handle an aggressive drop with those s-techs
what kind of struts could handle that?
gbkallday2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #7361
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21

What kind of gains are we talking about with a more aggressive cam?
The Subaru boxer motors don't respond well to mods so maybe an increase of 30hp with an aggressive cam. A buddy of mine made about 60whp on his Honda with cams, exhaust, intake and tune. Unfortunately, I don't see a Subaru making that much more power with those mods
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #7362
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dillon View Post
The Subaru boxer motors don't respond well to mods so maybe an increase of 30hp with an aggressive cam. A buddy of mine made about 60whp on his Honda with cams, exhaust, intake and tune. Unfortunately, I don't see a Subaru making that much more power with those mods
If only we had V-tech
lol jk.
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #7363
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkallday2.5i

what kind of struts could handle that?
Honestly, idk. I haven't run those setups to know which is superior. If all your looking is to go low, do it right. I was thinking the same thing a year ago and I'm glad i didn't go that route. Just upgrade to coilovers (installation is waaay easier too). If your on a tight budget, buy racelands. $500 dollars and a 2yr. warranty. Entry level coilovers range from $1,000+ such as ISC, BC Racing, Tein, Fortune Auto etc...most with a 1 yr. warranty. S-techs will just bounce you all over the place, granted I have BC's and they are a bit bouncy, but with coilovers you can adjust the dampening to soften up the rebound to allow more suspension travel to absorb most of the road slop. Plus you can manipulate the ride height to your liking. Its best to do it right the first time around.
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #7364
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSP671 View Post
Honestly, idk. I haven't run those setups to know which is superior. If all your looking is to go low, do it right. I was thinking the same thing a year ago and I'm glad i didn't go that route. Just upgrade to coilovers (installation is waaay easier too). If your on a tight budget, buy racelands. $500 dollars and a 2yr. warranty. Entry level coilovers range from $1,000+ such as ISC, BC Racing, Tein, Fortune Auto etc...most with a 1 yr. warranty. S-techs will just bounce you all over the place, granted I have BC's and they are a bit bouncy, but with coilovers you can adjust the dampening to soften up the rebound to allow more suspension travel to absorb most of the road slop. Plus you can manipulate the ride height to your liking. Its best to do it right the first time around.
or if you wanna lay frame; save up for air suspension
Navysesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #7365
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer3
If only we had V-tech
lol jk.
Yea, but we have some variable valve timing thingy... I think it's called AVCS.
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #7366
Cmac13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312011
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Vehicle:
2009 impreza 2.5i
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dillon

Yea, but we have some variable valve timing thingy... I think it's called AVCS.
Yup kicks in at 4 k rpm, it give me whip lash lol
Cmac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #7367
gbkallday2.5i
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329199
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fultonville NY
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSP671

Honestly, idk. I haven't run those setups to know which is superior. If all your looking is to go low, do it right. I was thinking the same thing a year ago and I'm glad i didn't go that route. Just upgrade to coilovers (installation is waaay easier too). If your on a tight budget, buy racelands. $500 dollars and a 2yr. warranty. Entry level coilovers range from $1,000+ such as ISC, BC Racing, Tein, Fortune Auto etc...most with a 1 yr. warranty. S-techs will just bounce you all over the place, granted I have BC's and they are a bit bouncy, but with coilovers you can adjust the dampening to soften up the rebound to allow more suspension travel to absorb most of the road slop. Plus you can manipulate the ride height to your liking. Its best to do it right the first time around.
I am new to the whole suspension modifying so dont bash on me to hard.. with just getting the raceland coilovers that is all that I am going to need? nothing extra? what can your BC's do that the racelands can't? even though the racelands are cheaper are they still a good coilover, or should I just save up and get one of the $1,000+. I am on a tight budget so.. but the racelands are still a good(decent) coilover correct?
thank you!
gbkallday2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #7368
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkallday2.5i

I am new to the whole suspension modifying so dont bash on me to hard.. with just getting the raceland coilovers that is all that I am going to need? nothing extra? what can your BC's do that the racelands can't? even though the racelands are cheaper are they still a good coilover, or should I just save up and get one of the $1,000+. I am on a tight budget so.. but the racelands are still a good(decent) coilover correct?
thank you!
Based on what I've read, other people seem to like the Racelands. They do not have adjustable dampening (adjustable shock stiffness) like every other coilover out. And, they have a set spring rate (spring stiffness) while some companies offer different rates and I know ISC will do custom spring rates at no charge. You may want to consider new rear lower control arms or the whiteline rear camber bushing kit because lower = more camber and the rear can not be adjusted without aftermarket parts. If your on a budget just go for the Racelands. I believe they are $550 after shipping. The next cheapest is ISC which can be had for $875 shipped.
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #7369
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

I heard of some rusting out, some failures here and there (replaced under warranty though lol). Like what Dillon said, dampening control to stiffen up or soften the compression and custom spring rates. I bought BC's for a better piece of mind because I wouldn't want it to catastrophically fail with my daughter in the car ( knocks on wood) although it could happen with any coilover. With the racelands, I think ride quality would be the biggest problem. If aesthetics is what your after and could care less on how it feels, then I would say just go ahead and try the racelands out. People say BC's are the best bang for the buck which I could say is true, but me? I would personally go with a set of Racecomp Tarmac II :drool: but I suck at saving money lol

Maybe read up on this if your really considering racelands
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2042948

About the rear control arms, you can get about -3* of camber naturally. If your gna run crazy offsets and need the extra camber or stiffen up the rear, then I would say go for it.
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #7370
Slow Scoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 320464
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Monmouth, NJ
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
ABP

Default

I know ive been asking alot about wheels lately but since my only options for offset are +25 and +42. Im wondering what kind of work I would need to do to get +25 to work. 17x9 +25
Slow Scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #7371
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Scoobie
I know ive been asking alot about wheels lately but since my only options for offset are +25 and +42. Im wondering what kind of work I would need to do to get +25 to work. 17x9 +25
Roll/pull all the fenders, a 235/40 tire, coilovers.

Edit: I'd definitely recommend the higher offset. It'll fit your car much better!

Last edited by Digital Dillon; 11-10-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #7372
BSP671
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 288190
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Spark Silver

Default

+25? Daaamn
BSP671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #7373
Cmac13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312011
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Vehicle:
2009 impreza 2.5i
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Scoobie
I know ive been asking alot about wheels lately but since my only options for offset are +25 and +42. Im wondering what kind of work I would need to do to get +25 to work. 17x9 +25
I don't know about +25 that would take some negative camber to prevent those from rubbing (like -4 or -5 maybe) I have +35 with rolled fenders and -3 camber. I would go with the +42 and if you want a wider stance get 5 or 10mm spacers
Cmac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #7374
KevinKe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 283593
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southeast New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Red

Default

I'm looking at buying a set of wheels+tires from a user here.

The wheels are 16's, but the tires are 225/60/r16.

Using http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, it shows that the combination is about 26.6" in diameter.

Stock wheel/tire diameter is 24.9", so it's only about a 1.7" difference.

I really hope they fit, lol

Anyone run something similar?
KevinKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #7375
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

nvm found my answer lol

Last edited by Navysesal; 11-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Navysesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 2.5i and 08 Sti Suspension WRXbrother Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 03-24-2012 03:14 PM
Will an 08 WRX intake fit an 08 2.5i? Racing101 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 26 01-19-2012 12:57 PM
08 STI Wing on 08 2.5i impreza juny102004 Interior & Exterior Modification 13 01-18-2012 10:46 AM
Will 08+ WRX gauges swap into 08+ 2.5i? Simeon Priest Interior & Exterior Modification 10 03-26-2010 03:17 PM
08 2.5i mod question deunique1 Impreza Forum 1 10-03-2007 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.