Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #7526
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendyman View Post
I don't know where you got that info... daylight is about 4300K & that's most OEM HID output. Stock halogens produce about 3200K therefore they're yellowish.
Not the color, the output. IIRC, they're both something like 1800 lumens. I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware View Post
First post, long time lurker here from Australia.
Got new wheels/tyres today, thought I'd share:



Tenzo-R Concept 9's 17"

Next mods are short shifter, lip/mudflaps and a lowering.
Nice. I highly recommend an adjustable shifter. COBB on Mode makes them, they're fantastic.

I also got another set of wheels today.



Gotta get some tires and center caps. The caps will be easy, too many choices for tires.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JourdanWithaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #7527
aceofskies05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326539
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: GR
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5
newport blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzywhtboi82 View Post
So with out doing a retrofit at this time what would be the best watt and lumens to go with. I've got Sylvania zxe right now so if it ain't brighter than those then I wont do it.
Do you actually find the ZXE worth the insane cost? Do you have a pic of your output? I just cant see why anyone would buy 50+$ halogens like ZXE seems like a marketing rip off...
aceofskies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #7528
tupperware
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262990
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Sydney
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza R 2.0
Charcoal Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post

Nice. I highly recommend an adjustable shifter. COBB on Mode makes them, they're fantastic.
Have been looking at Cobb, and getting it sent from the states. I Just have to check fitment for US 2.5 models are the same as Aus 2.0 models.
tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #7529
krzywhtboi82
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280582
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: jackson mi
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i premium
ssm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofskies05

Do you actually find the ZXE worth the insane cost? Do you have a pic of your output? I just cant see why anyone would buy 50+$ halogens like ZXE seems like a marketing rip off...
If u compare em to any other halogen out there hell yes. I put em in my highs too and its like day time. Get pics later for ya
krzywhtboi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #7530
Fendyman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21542
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco, CA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware View Post
First post, long time lurker here from Australia.
Got new wheels/tyres today, thought I'd share:



Tenzo-R Concept 9's 17"

Next mods are short shifter, lip/mudflaps and a lowering.
G'day mate! My favorite color... the car & wheels.
Fendyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #7531
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware

Have been looking at Cobb, and getting it sent from the states. I Just have to check fitment for US 2.5 models are the same as Aus 2.0 models.
I would imagine it would fit, but I 2nd the Cobb. I have it in my car. It's on the lowest setting lol, so little space now

I would recommend a heavy weighted knob tho, it's fairly hard to put it in gear without it
Navysesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #7532
Fendyman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21542
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco, CA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
I also got another set of wheels today.



Gotta get some tires and center caps. The caps will be easy, too many choices for tires.
Whore... wheel whore that is.

I was going to buy THAT wheels but not a big fan of cleaning that many spokes wheel.

Plus, I don't have anymore storage space for another set.
Fendyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #7533
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Yeah, I saw you poking in that thread. But for $60, I'm glad they aren't steel.

But I do have a problem. There was a lot of head scratching when I got home. 15 wheels now crammed in the garage.
JourdanWithaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #7534
Fendyman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21542
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco, CA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Yeah, I saw you poking in that thread. But for $60, I'm glad they aren't steel.

But I do have a problem. There was a lot of head scratching when I got home. 15 wheels now crammed in the garage.
LOL

& what's wrong w/ steelies? They are SEXY... especially the black ones.

A while ago, I picked up a set of 15" black steelies off 02 TS wagon... just looking for a set of snow tires for a good price & I'll be set.
Fendyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #7535
Sellars21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304055
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i Rallisport
UEL Headers Magnaflow CBE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navysesal

I would imagine it would fit, but I 2nd the Cobb. I have it in my car. It's on the lowest setting lol, so little space now

I would recommend a heavy weighted knob tho, it's fairly hard to put it in gear without it
Is this the one you guys are talking about, it looks great.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Tal...r-p/212317.htm

I don't mind the stock height, closer to the steering wheel, but if I could keep that and still reduce the throw, I'm in, great price too.
Sellars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #7536
premier00000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251060
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzywhtboi82 View Post
So with out doing a retrofit at this time what would be the best watt and lumens to go with. I've got Sylvania zxe right now so if it ain't brighter than those then I wont do it.
Why not just modify an H9 bulb to fit? It has the same optics as the H11, but has twice the lumens, and you wont blind oncoming traffic like you would with HID's without retrofitting. You'll notice they will provide more usable light than the HIDs too, and not to mention they're much cheaper than HIDs.

But the lifespan of H9 compared to H11 is about half (500-750 hours).
premier00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #7537
Eric91Z
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216858
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Central Iowa
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza OBSlow
Steel Silver/Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Alright guys, need opinions here.

SPT exhaust or Nameless performance?

A local guy is selling an SPT which is rare around here to find. I dig the looks, not sure how it sounds, but anything has to be better then our stock exhausts.

The Nameless looks excellent also with the small tube mufflers. Sounds great from the limited videos i've seen.

The SPT I can probably get for $250-$300, where as the Nameless is $430.

I was initially going to grab the Nameless but since the SPT popped up locally is that a good buy?
Not sure if your car is a sedan or hatch, but I have the WRX SPT catback on my hatch and it fits perfect and sound is better than stock, but still ok for driving through neighborhoods at night and no drone on the highway. At times I wish it were a little louder, but for daily driving it is fine.
Eric91Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #7538
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

My H9's are still going strong more than a year later..
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #7539
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21

Is this the one you guys are talking about, it looks great.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Tal...r-p/212317.htm

I don't mind the stock height, closer to the steering wheel, but if I could keep that and still reduce the throw, I'm in, great price too.
Yep that's the one, just raise the knob adjustable side and you should be good
Navysesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #7540
bradyarz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272381
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza OBS
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier00000 View Post
Why not just modify an H9 bulb to fit? It has the same optics as the H11, but has twice the lumens, and you wont blind oncoming traffic like you would with HID's without retrofitting. You'll notice they will provide more usable light than the HIDs too, and not to mention they're much cheaper than HIDs.

But the lifespan of H9 compared to H11 is about half (500-750 hours).
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
My H9's are still going strong more than a year later..
...and also this. It took me all of 10 seconds with the dremel on each bulb, and I've enjoyed higher light output ever since. I'm not quite up to a year, but definitely more than 6 months with plenty of nighttime driving. In fact, I leave my headlights on almost all the time, since the subaru automagically turns them off when I turn off the car.
bradyarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #7541
krzywhtboi82
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280582
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: jackson mi
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i premium
ssm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyarz

This

...and also this. It took me all of 10 seconds with the dremel on each bulb, and I've enjoyed higher light output ever since. I'm not quite up to a year, but definitely more than 6 months with plenty of nighttime driving. In fact, I leave my headlights on almost all the time, since the subaru automagically turns them off when I turn off the car.
But doesn't a h9 only come in a standard halogen? So how can it be brighter than what I have now?
krzywhtboi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #7542
premier00000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251060
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyarz View Post
...and also this. It took me all of 10 seconds with the dremel on each bulb, and I've enjoyed higher light output ever since. I'm not quite up to a year, but definitely more than 6 months with plenty of nighttime driving. In fact, I leave my headlights on almost all the time, since the subaru automagically turns them off when I turn off the car.
I've had my H9s in since May 2010, and put on over 30,000 miles since then and I drive mostly when its dark.
premier00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #7543
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzywhtboi82 View Post
But doesn't a h9 only come in a standard halogen? So how can it be brighter than what I have now?
They draw more amps, same way a 100 watt bulb is brighter than a 60 watt bulb in a house. It is actually a high beam headlight on a tribeca.. or some other car if that one isn't correct.

Edit- for anyone curious..
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #7544
bradyarz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 272381
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza OBS
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
They draw more amps, same way a 100 watt bulb is brighter than a 60 watt bulb in a house. It is actually a high beam headlight on a tribeca.. or some other car if that one isn't correct.
According to an email I have from Daniel Stern, the bulbs are easiest to find as a high beam for a 2008 chevy mailbu
bradyarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #7545
Sellars21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304055
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i Rallisport
UEL Headers Magnaflow CBE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX

They draw more amps, same way a 100 watt bulb is brighter than a 60 watt bulb in a house. It is actually a high beam headlight on a tribeca.. or some other car if that one isn't correct.

Edit- for anyone curious..
Did you just have to cut off that one little spot on both lights, I don't have the stockers to compare. This might be a goon option while I wait for my new kit to arrive.

Also can this only be done with a dremel, would an exacto knife suffice??
Sellars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #7546
premier00000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251060
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza Outback
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21 View Post

Did you just have to cut off that one little spot on both lights, I don't have the stockers to compare. This might be a goon option while I wait for my new kit to arrive.

Also can this only be done with a dremel, would an exacto knife suffice??
I do it with a pair of wire cutters and needle nose pliers. The bulbs are also used as late model corvette high beams.

Here are a few links with details on what ya have to do. It takes less time to do it than it does to look it up.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2083911

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...onversion.html

http://www.rx8club.com/do-yourself-f...socket-119161/


You can also do the same with 9005 bulbs to fit 9006 sockets. (for the fog lights)
premier00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #7547
aceofskies05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326539
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: GR
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5
newport blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21 View Post
Did you just have to cut off that one little spot on both lights, I don't have the stockers to compare. This might be a goon option while I wait for my new kit to arrive.

Also can this only be done with a dremel, would an exacto knife suffice??
I used a dremel with a cone tip to drill down. It was really easy if you are careful
aceofskies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #7548
aceofskies05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326539
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: GR
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5
newport blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzywhtboi82 View Post
If u compare em to any other halogen out there hell yes. I put em in my highs too and its like day time. Get pics later for ya
cool im interested in seeing a comparison pic
aceofskies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7549
tupperware
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262990
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Sydney
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza R 2.0
Charcoal Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendyman View Post
G'day mate! My favorite color... the car & wheels.
Howdy? (not sure how Americans greet each other haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navysesal View Post
I would imagine it would fit, but I 2nd the Cobb. I have it in my car. It's on the lowest setting lol, so little space now

I would recommend a heavy weighted knob tho, it's fairly hard to put it in gear without it
Yeah, I have read about using a weighted knob. Just tricky as its one of Australia's stupid road laws that all knobs need a H pattern on it, or you can get a fine.

Been trying to get in contact with Rally Armour about fitment for their muds also - never got back to me annoyingly!
tupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #7550
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware

Howdy? (not sure how Americans greet each other haha)

Yeah, I have read about using a weighted knob. Just tricky as its one of Australia's stupid road laws that all knobs need a H pattern on it, or you can get a fine.

Been trying to get in contact with Rally Armour about fitment for their muds also - never got back to me annoyingly!
Wow really? Can you buy stickers and put them on top?

For the mudflaps,
Just grab some polyurethane or some cutting board material and make some like the "ikea DIY mudflaps"
EDIT: http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...485#post113485

Or just buy it and make your own holes

Check out Flapatax tho, I've had then for about 1.5 years now and their still strong
Navysesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 2.5i and 08 Sti Suspension WRXbrother Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 03-24-2012 02:14 PM
Will an 08 WRX intake fit an 08 2.5i? Racing101 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 26 01-19-2012 11:57 AM
08 STI Wing on 08 2.5i impreza juny102004 Interior & Exterior Modification 13 01-18-2012 09:46 AM
Will 08+ WRX gauges swap into 08+ 2.5i? Simeon Priest Interior & Exterior Modification 10 03-26-2010 02:17 PM
08 2.5i mod question deunique1 Impreza Forum 1 10-03-2007 02:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.