Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #10276
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer3 View Post

Oh okay awesome. Yeah no problem man. It's just overkill but I figure since your going to be revving 3k or higher for long periods of time, keeping the oil fresh wouldn't hurt too much hah.
Great idea for the bushings, I need to do mine
In terms of brakes you should be good to go. Your pads are most likely going to fad after a couple laps just so you know though. I've gotten mine to fade on a really aggressive mountain run.
The helmet should be okay unless the organizations rules state otherwise. The thinner the shoes the better.
I'll have to decide about the oil cooler reason I was thinking away was because of how I wanted to put it in the scoop I'll see about mounting it behind the bumper and decide but it might be much for the amount of track days I'll be doing

I'll check into pumas, and what do you think about mechanics gloves?

Now for brakes I'm thinking the rotors should be fine maybe getting a fresh set of pads before hand so they have some life in them not sure about going too aggressive of a pad/ brake set up as this is my daily driven and want something that's good for everyday
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #10277
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver08Waggs View Post

I'll have to decide about the oil cooler
Yeah I think you'd be fine without it. Mechanics gloves aren't bad, just don't use them on your car and then drive with them lol.
Rotors will be fine like you said and just stick with the hawk hps or equivalent then. Their cheaper and still pretty reliable.
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #10278
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer3 View Post

Yeah I think you'd be fine without it. Mechanics gloves aren't bad, just don't use them on your car and then drive with them lol.
Rotors will be fine like you said and just stick with the hawk hps or equivalent then. Their cheaper and still pretty reliable.
Cool man thanks a lot, and is that why there's grease all over my car I used the same glove I work in the car with duh lol

Any suggestions for gloves and shoes that I should check out
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10279
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

I revved over 3k RPM for 13 hours on the way down to GA, and 13 hrs on the way back to NY.. my car liked it. Oil change day before, but not directly after.
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #10280
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Well that was quick..

fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #10281
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
I revved over 3k RPM for 13 hours on the way down to GA, and 13 hrs on the way back to NY.. my car liked it. Oil change day before, but not directly after.
That's what I was thinking change it a day or 2 before then track day and put 3k on that oil
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #10282
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver08Waggs View Post
hey guys im going to be doing the azp track even in June and i wanted to know what you guys suggest i should do to prep the car before i go and what i should possibly change. im doing a new clutch and coolant hoses and colder thermostat next week thinking of doing cooling ducts for the brakes and maybe an oil cooler because my friend is giving me one and with the wrx hood i would try and mount it up top. any suggestions would be great.
thanks in advance
Here's a checklist that I found...

http://www.pulpracing.com/track_checklist.htm



Some bright colored nomex gloves would be a good idea. Other drivers will need to see your hand if you point them past so a bright color or something that contrasts against the color of your car is a plus.

Wear whatever shoes you are most comfortable in. I bought a pair of Piloti shoes and I switched back to using my DC Sneakers. Having proper shoes is good, but if you're not comfortable with them, they can be a hindrance.

I think the brake ducts and oil cooler might be overkill.

It sounds like you already did some brake upgrades (rotors, pads, and fluid) which should be fine. However, you still want to make sure that you have at least 50% left on your pads. Also, bring an extra set to the track just in case.

Some events will require you to take your car it a shop and go through a safety inspection. Through that, they will go through all the nuts/bolts and bushings to make sure everything is good to go and there aren't any potential hazards.

The event may also require tow hooks. So you may want to look into that. They will also have regulations on the helmets as well.

You'll probably also want a set of wheel chocks. Engaging the ebrake when you park the car after a session while it's still hot is not a good idea.

Also load up an extra set of wheels and tires along with the tools to change them as well as a jug of extra fuel.

Basically, bring spares of everything.

Also, read up on all the regulations for the event and track. They should have a list of requirements.



Sorry if I repeated myself and didn't make any sense somewhere. I typed this up while working.
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #10283
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Did you get stickers?

Did anyone with Konis get any stickers? I sent a request to Koni but I haven't heard anything back.
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #10284
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Did you get stickers?

Did anyone with Konis get any stickers? I sent a request to Koni but I haven't heard anything back.
Negative on the stickers. Now I want some though.. haha

What setting do you have your Konis at for DD and track use? I will be pairing these with RCE blacks. After reading lots of info on these I have decided a 1/4 or 1/2 turn past full soft will probably be most ideal for daily driving. Especially in MN where we have terrible road conditions 9 of 12 months a year.

@Silver08Waggs, you could try some Tigers for driving shoes (specifically the Ultimate 81 model). I've had probably 10 pairs of these since owning my car and they always feel the best.
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #10285
Steve2.5i
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293006
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Well that was quick..
Lemme know how the install goes.
Steve2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #10286
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Oh and @JourdanWithaU

Here you go, if you already haven't..

http://www.koni-na.com/qrlabel/form.htm
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #10287
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Did anyone with Konis get any stickers? I sent a request to Koni but I haven't heard anything back.
None here as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2.5i View Post
Lemme know how the install goes.
He's getting them installed at a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Oh and @JourdanWithaU
Here you go, if you already haven't..
http://www.koni-na.com/qrlabel/form.htm
Thanks, I just filled it out
Also I would try like 3/4-1 full turn in the front as I started out like you did and it ended up being a little to bouncy (granted I have stiffer spring rates lol).
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #10288
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer3 View Post
None here as well


He's getting them installed at a shop.


Thanks, I just filled it out
Also I would try like 3/4-1 full turn in the front as I started out like you did and it ended up being a little to bouncy (granted I have stiffer spring rates lol).
I'll see what NF says
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #10289
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Here's a checklist that I found...

http://www.pulpracing.com/track_checklist.htm



Some bright colored nomex gloves would be a good idea. Other drivers will need to see your hand if you point them past so a bright color or something that contrasts against the color of your car is a plus.

Wear whatever shoes you are most comfortable in. I bought a pair of Piloti shoes and I switched back to using my DC Sneakers. Having proper shoes is good, but if you're not comfortable with them, they can be a hindrance.

I think the brake ducts and oil cooler might be overkill.

It sounds like you already did some brake upgrades (rotors, pads, and fluid) which should be fine. However, you still want to make sure that you have at least 50% left on your pads. Also, bring an extra set to the track just in case.

Some events will require you to take your car it a shop and go through a safety inspection. Through that, they will go through all the nuts/bolts and bushings to make sure everything is good to go and there aren't any potential hazards.

The event may also require tow hooks. So you may want to look into that. They will also have regulations on the helmets as well.

You'll probably also want a set of wheel chocks. Engaging the ebrake when you park the car after a session while it's still hot is not a good idea.

Also load up an extra set of wheels and tires along with the tools to change them as well as a jug of extra fuel.

Basically, bring spares of everything.

Also, read up on all the regulations for the event and track. They should have a list of requirements.



Sorry if I repeated myself and didn't make any sense somewhere. I typed this up while working.

good call on the gloves, shoes too.

the more i think about the oil cooler and what bad things could happen im leaning away from it, brake ducts are something i still may consider, to keep temps down.

when i do the clutch im gonna look over alot of the car because it will be on a life so i can check over brakes more closely along with the suspension components.

the shop thats holding the even will give a free pre-track inspection at their place so im going to do that.

i was looking into tow hooks, any links to ones available for our cars.

for extra wheels i only have my stock wheels guess those will have to do. and extra jug of gas didn't even think of that.

thanks for all the help guys, other then maybe a tow hook like i think im good
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #10290
reide181
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276915
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh (South Hills)
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
Satin White Pearl

Default

One from this weekend!

reide181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #10291
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Negative on the stickers. Now I want some though.. haha

What setting do you have your Konis at for DD and track use? I will be pairing these with RCE blacks. After reading lots of info on these I have decided a 1/4 or 1/2 turn past full soft will probably be most ideal for daily driving. Especially in MN where we have terrible road conditions 9 of 12 months a year.

@Silver08Waggs, you could try some Tigers for driving shoes (specifically the Ultimate 81 model). I've had probably 10 pairs of these since owning my car and they always feel the best.
I think I'm at 0.5 turn in the front and 1 or 1.25 turn in the rear. I can't remember, I'd have to double check. But I know the rear is firmer than the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Oh and @JourdanWithaU

Here you go, if you already haven't..

http://www.koni-na.com/qrlabel/form.htm
Yep, that's the form I filled out. Haven't heard anything from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver08Waggs View Post
good call on the gloves, shoes too.

the more i think about the oil cooler and what bad things could happen im leaning away from it, brake ducts are something i still may consider, to keep temps down.

when i do the clutch im gonna look over alot of the car because it will be on a life so i can check over brakes more closely along with the suspension components.

the shop thats holding the even will give a free pre-track inspection at their place so im going to do that.

i was looking into tow hooks, any links to ones available for our cars.

for extra wheels i only have my stock wheels guess those will have to do. and extra jug of gas didn't even think of that.

thanks for all the help guys, other then maybe a tow hook like i think im good
The extra wheels/tires don't have to be anything special. Just something that will get you home should something happen to the wheels/tires you take out on track.

For the tow hook, the organizers might have a size and number requirement. If the stock tow hook is big enough and you only need one, you're set. If you need two, you can get a new for something like $20-$30. The part number is 57805fg000
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #10292
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post

I think I'm at 0.5 turn in the front and 1 or 1.25 turn in the rear. I can't remember, I'd have to double check. But I know the rear is firmer than the front.

Yep, that's the form I filled out. Haven't heard anything from it.

The extra wheels/tires don't have to be anything special. Just something that will get you home should something happen to the wheels/tires you take out on track.

For the tow hook, the organizers might have a size and number requirement. If the stock tow hook is big enough and you only need one, you're set. If you need two, you can get a new for something like $20-$30. The part number is 57805fg000
You still happy with the Koni setup?

Bummer about the sticker situation. Try filling out the form again lol.
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #10293
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Loving my current set-up. I'm torn. I still want to get a set of Ground Control sleeves. But what I have now is so good. I love it, but I don't want to love it.

The only weird thing is that they seemed to have gotten stiffer recently. But that might be attributed to the new wheels. And/or possibly the new harness bar.

But seriously, the car feels so good.
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #10294
Silver08Waggs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283606
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Red Bank,NJ
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Loving my current set-up. I'm torn. I still want to get a set of Ground Control sleeves. But what I have now is so good. I love it, but I don't want to love it.

The only weird thing is that they seemed to have gotten stiffer recently. But that might be attributed to the new wheels. And/or possibly the new harness bar.

But seriously, the car feels so good.
What set up are you running and if it's konis can u get ground controls? I thought we couldn't
Silver08Waggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #10295
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Loving my current set-up. I'm torn. I still want to get a set of Ground Control sleeves. But what I have now is so good. I love it, but I don't want to love it.

The only weird thing is that they seemed to have gotten stiffer recently. But that might be attributed to the new wheels. And/or possibly the new harness bar.

But seriously, the car feels so good.
Good to hear. I don't know much about the ground control kit but these Konis should tide me over for at least a little bit. As we both know though.. It's never enough.
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #10296
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver08Waggs View Post
What set up are you running and if it's konis can u get ground controls? I thought we couldn't
Koni inserts, 2012 WRX Springs, Whiteline 22mm Adjustable rear sway.

In competition I run stock premium alloy wheels with new 205/55/16 Direzza ZII tires.
These feel great. Very comfortable to daily and ****tons of grip.

For DD I run 17x9+45 Enkei RPF1s with old 235/45/17 Z1 Star Spec tires.
These don't feel as good. Still lots of grip and more responsive. But they're a little loud and tramline a bit. But they look awesome.

I also have a harness bar. Some say that that can stiffen up the chassis. But I don't know how much I believe that. I installed it last Thursday and I'll be taking it out on Monday. I don't plan to always daily the bar.


I don't see why a Gound Control kit wouldn't work with the Konis. Maybe I'll have to send them another email. If I can't get ground control, I'll be after some RCE springs.

EDIT: Here's my current alignment if you guys are interested in that too. http://i.imgur.com/CVYu5pQ.jpg

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 04-26-2013 at 01:42 AM.
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #10297
Steve2.5i
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 293006
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post

Koni inserts, 2012 WRX Springs, Whiteline 22mm Adjustable rear sway.
http://i.imgur.com/CVYu5pQ.jpg
How do u like the 22mm rsb? Could u explain ur thoughts on how it reacts with ur setup?
Steve2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #10298
JourdanWithaU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146287
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NOR-CAL (South Bay Area)
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i 5D
Sunlight Gold Opal

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2.5i View Post
How do u like the 22mm rsb? Could u explain ur thoughts on how it reacts with ur setup?
I like it a lot. It really brings the rear together and it makes it really easy to get some good rotation out of the car. I initially wanted a 24, but I caught the 22 in the classifieds for a pretty good deal. It's currently set at the middle setting and it's working pretty good.



My GoPole arrived today.



I'll probably record my commute tomorrow to test it out.
JourdanWithaU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #10299
BWX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236305
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Central.. NY
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i 4dr 5spd
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post

EDIT: Here's my current alignment if you guys are interested in that too. http://i.imgur.com/CVYu5pQ.jpg
Did you ask them to do anything specific, like get as much camber as possible or anything like that? I've never had an alignment yet (bought new in '09), it never needed it, although the steering wheel is a little off center from new, but that didn't bother me enough to get it fixed since my alignment always felt good otherwise.
BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #10300
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Did you ask them to do anything specific, like get as much camber as possible or anything like that? I've never had an alignment yet (bought new in '09), it never needed it, although the steering wheel is a little off center from new, but that didn't bother me enough to get it fixed since my alignment always felt good otherwise.
You can pop your airbag out yourself and then adjust the steering wheel if you need to.
fancyfootwork15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 2.5i and 08 Sti Suspension WRXbrother Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 03-24-2012 02:14 PM
Will an 08 WRX intake fit an 08 2.5i? Racing101 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 26 01-19-2012 11:57 AM
08 STI Wing on 08 2.5i impreza juny102004 Interior & Exterior Modification 13 01-18-2012 09:46 AM
Will 08+ WRX gauges swap into 08+ 2.5i? Simeon Priest Interior & Exterior Modification 10 03-26-2010 02:17 PM
08 2.5i mod question deunique1 Impreza Forum 1 10-03-2007 02:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.