Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #13026
3043imprez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306592
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Pa
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Lightning Red

Default





To say i'm impressed right now would be the understatement of the year. I just completed an 8.5 hour Odyssey, traveling from Pittsburgh to upstate NY in the midst of a winter storm. I can wholeheartedly say that the road conditions were the worst I've had to endure for such a sustained amount of time in my life, thus far. 90% of the journey was a snow-rain wintery mix on ice and slush filled roads with an avg speed of 40mph on interstate, state and local roads. The last hour we encountered unserviced local roads with 3-5in of snow cover and 30%+ inclines and declines. Several roads were closed by local authorities and we had to double back. The Impreza handled everything Mother Nature had to throw at it without hesitation. My wife was freaking out the entire 8+ hours. I was nervous as hell but never let on, the Impreza never gave hint to any worry I might have (needlessly) had. I've never had the pleasure of piloting a vehicle so surefooted in such horrible conditions. I just really can't believe how well this car was able to handle the obstacles thrown at it this evening. Well done, Subaru. I'm convincing my soon-to-be-retired dad to get rid of his quadcab Tundra and get a Forester tomorrow.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
3043imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #13027
Sellars21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304055
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i Rallisport
UEL Headers Magnaflow CBE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3043imprez View Post
To say i'm impressed right now would be the understatement of the year. I just completed an 8.5 hour Odyssey, traveling from Pittsburgh to upstate NY in the midst of a winter storm. I can wholeheartedly say that the road conditions were the worst I've had to endure for such a sustained amount of time in my life, thus far. 90% of the journey was a snow-rain wintery mix on ice and slush filled roads with an avg speed of 40mph on interstate, state and local roads. The last hour we encountered unserviced local roads with 3-5in of snow cover and 30%+ inclines and declines. Several roads were closed by local authorities and we had to double back. The Impreza handled everything Mother Nature had to throw at it without hesitation. My wife was freaking out the entire 8+ hours. I was nervous as hell but never let on, the Impreza never gave hint to any worry I might have (needlessly) had. I've never had the pleasure of piloting a vehicle so surefooted in such horrible conditions. I just really can't believe how well this car was able to handle the obstacles thrown at it this evening. Well done, Subaru. I'm convincing my soon-to-be-retired dad to get rid of his quadcab Tundra and get a Forester tomorrow.
That's awesome. I feel the same way. Suabru is a must for snow covered winter roads. Not sure how the sales are for theses things in Florida?
Sellars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #13028
3043imprez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306592
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Pa
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21 View Post

That's awesome. I feel the same way. Suabru is a must for snow covered winter roads. Not sure how the sales are for theses things in Florida?
Within the first 20 miles of the trip I witnessed a Suzuki sx4(?) get cut-off, lose control and careen off the road and up an embankment and also came upon a Cadillac (next step up from CTS) upside down in the middle of a bridge on I79.
3043imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #13029
DirknJirkn13
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249696
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2010 Outback Sport
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21 View Post

That's awesome. I feel the same way. Suabru is a must for snow covered winter roads. Not sure how the sales are for theses things in Florida?
Pretty much all Subaru's in Florida are either wrxs, stis, or brzs. Rarely do I see a 2.5i.
DirknJirkn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #13030
Sellars21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 304055
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i Rallisport
UEL Headers Magnaflow CBE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirknJirkn13 View Post
Pretty much all Subaru's in Florida are either wrxs, stis, or brzs. Rarely do I see a 2.5i.
Had a bit of snow here in eastern Canada today, broke traction for the first time in 8 months. Miss that sideways feeling. Suabru a need snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3043imprez View Post
Within the first 20 miles of the trip I witnessed a Suzuki sx4(?) get cut-off, lose control and careen off the road and up an embankment and also came upon a Cadillac (next step up from CTS) upside down in the middle of a bridge on I79.
And your thinking, that sucks, glad I have a Subaru
Sellars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #13031
Slacktron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339342
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3043imprez View Post
To say i'm impressed right now would be the understatement of the year. I just completed an 8.5 hour Odyssey, traveling from Pittsburgh to upstate NY in the midst of a winter storm. I can wholeheartedly say that the road conditions were the worst I've had to endure for such a sustained amount of time in my life, thus far. 90% of the journey was a snow-rain wintery mix on ice and slush filled roads with an avg speed of 40mph on interstate, state and local roads. The last hour we encountered unserviced local roads with 3-5in of snow cover and 30%+ inclines and declines. Several roads were closed by local authorities and we had to double back. The Impreza handled everything Mother Nature had to throw at it without hesitation. My wife was freaking out the entire 8+ hours. I was nervous as hell but never let on, the Impreza never gave hint to any worry I might have (needlessly) had. I've never had the pleasure of piloting a vehicle so surefooted in such horrible conditions. I just really can't believe how well this car was able to handle the obstacles thrown at it this evening. Well done, Subaru. I'm convincing my soon-to-be-retired dad to get rid of his quadcab Tundra and get a Forester tomorrow.
Awesome! Were you on all-season tires, or on winters already?

I'm hoping my all-seasons (Michelin Defenders) will be able to hold up to the winter as I can't get a set of dedicated snow tires until next winter.
Slacktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #13032
3043imprez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306592
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Pa
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellars21 View Post
Had a bit of snow here in eastern Canada today, broke traction for the first time in 8 months. Miss that sideways feeling. Suabru a need snow.

And your thinking, that sucks, glad I have a Subaru
By the time I passed the Cadillac on its roof, I was definitely rethinking my decision to challenge the weather conditions lol
3043imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #13033
3043imprez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306592
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Pa
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacktron View Post
Awesome! Were you on all-season tires, or on winters already?

I'm hoping my all-seasons (Michelin Defenders) will be able to hold up to the winter as I can't get a set of dedicated snow tires until next winter.
I'm on all season kumhos right now with about 50% of their treadlife...definitely contemplating the 'rally route' now.

My VDC light only came on once, and thats because I gave a litttle extra gas on an onramp to see what it would actually take for it to come on....

Can anyone suggest some good rally-esque tires??
3043imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #13034
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3043imprez View Post

I'm on all season kumhos right now with about 50% of their treadlife...definitely contemplating the 'rally route' now.

My VDC light only came on once, and thats because I gave a litttle extra gas on an onramp to see what it would actually take for it to come on....

Can anyone suggest some good rally-esque tires??
A lot of my rally racing friends run snows like Nokian Hakkapelitta, Blizzaks, or winterforces but, they run them to stay in a more competitive class.
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #13035
DownhillSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342985
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac13 View Post
Mines still sitting in my back seat from last winter when it fell off lol
Does it have a part number visible on the piece? Thanks!
DownhillSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #13036
subaruimp2.5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 371054
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Default

I have a 2010 2.5i and lately I've notice when I start the car on a cold start the clutch has a winding noise and it started on cold starts when the weather got cold and also my steering wheel squaks every morning on cold start. And sometimes when turning it without moving the vehicle.
And one last thing that's minor sometimes my handbrake light comes on randomly and stays on then randomly turns off.
Anybody would know what the reason for this would be? For any of these 3?
subaruimp2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #13037
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruimp2.5 View Post
I have a 2010 2.5i and lately I've notice when I start the car on a cold start the clutch has a winding noise and it started on cold starts when the weather got cold and also my steering wheel squaks every morning on cold start. And sometimes when turning it without moving the vehicle.
And one last thing that's minor sometimes my handbrake light comes on randomly and stays on then randomly turns off.
Anybody would know what the reason for this would be? For any of these 3?
The squealing is because your drive belts are loose, just tighten them up a little, it's easy work! And the clutch issue may be a throw out bearing.
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #13038
Navysesal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 305008
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2008 outback sport
Newport Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dillon View Post

The squealing is because your drive belts are loose, just tighten them up a little, it's easy work! And the clutch issue may be a throw out bearing.
It really depends, with the squeal problem, i thought it was the throw out bearing or the clutch fork or something. But it ended up being no grease in the clutch fork area; That visible hydraulic part with the boot that goes down to the tranny
Navysesal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #13039
KartRacer3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268328
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Norcal
Vehicle:
2011 2.5i prem pckg
SSM

Default

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Wish the best to all of you and your subaru's.
KartRacer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #13040
ajracerfan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221308
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Buda, TX
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Orange

Default

I may have asked this question before a long time ago, apologies if I have. I just ordered this: http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1286 but I have a potential problem. My front fender liner on the passenger side is nonexistent. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I plan on replacing it anyway soon, but I wanted to know if it not being there would hinder installation of the lip. Happy thanksgiving!
ajracerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #13041
Gdspliff
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348014
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA.
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i
Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajracerfan View Post
I may have asked this question before a long time ago, apologies if I have. I just ordered this: http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1286 but I have a potential problem. My front fender liner on the passenger side is nonexistent. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I plan on replacing it anyway soon, but I wanted to know if it not being there would hinder installation of the lip. Happy thanksgiving!
You won't have a problem with installation
Gdspliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #13042
Cmac13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312011
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Vehicle:
2009 impreza 2.5i
white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillSubie View Post
Does it have a part number visible on the piece? Thanks!
Edit : Idk what's going on it won't let me post this is the third time 59123FG 010 that's the number on it

Last edited by Cmac13; 11-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Cmac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #13043
chvvkumar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271655
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Peoria, IL
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i Sedan
Silver

Default

So today, while doing the H11 to H9 conversion, I noticed something running intermittently on the engine. As someone who has no deep understanding of the mechanical subsystems, I am curious to what it is.

Here is a little video I took of it. It's the wheel spinning to the right on the engine. Would it be something related to the AC/Heater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbggL4lZSs
chvvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #13044
Digital Dillon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 288727
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Sturbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX premium
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
So today, while doing the H11 to H9 conversion, I noticed something running intermittently on the engine. As someone who has no deep understanding of the mechanical subsystems, I am curious to what it is.

Here is a little video I took of it. It's the wheel spinning to the right on the engine. Would it be something related to the AC/Heater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbggL4lZSs
That would be your AC, it turns itself on/off automatically
Digital Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #13045
chvvkumar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271655
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Peoria, IL
Vehicle:
2009 2.5i Sedan
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dillon View Post
That would be your AC, it turns itself on/off automatically
I guessed as much

Thanks for clarifying that
chvvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #13046
Keif
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 107302
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Default

Yeah, it has some sort of clutch system on it so the compressor doesn't turn when the AC is off.
Keif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #13047
3043imprez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306592
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Western Pa
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Lightning Red

Default

I don't know about you guys, but Det. Brian O'Conner's undercover work on the underground street racing scene 12 years ago played a pretty significant part in contributing to my love of import tuning...very sad.
3043imprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #13048
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3043imprez View Post
I don't know about you guys, but Det. Brian O'Conner's undercover work on the underground street racing scene 12 years ago played a pretty significant part in contributing to my love of import tuning...very sad.
I agree, it was a sad thing. Both he and Rodas were great guys, and both experienced race car drivers. Rodas had extensive experience driving his carerra gt, so not sure exactly what happened. But both will be greatly missed.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #13049
SCNEot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 344260
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza OBS
Sage Green

Default

Only a mechanical malfunction could have stopped these two.
SCNEot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #13050
aceofskies05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 326539
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: GR
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5
newport blue

Default

Looking for a double din touch screen radio for xmas this year. Whats everyone recommend? I just want Bluetooth and XM radio. If I get xm, do I need to buy extra XM adapter stuff or does it come with everything I need? Thoughts? Recommendations? Is it pretty straight forward to do yourself? Or should I bring it in?
aceofskies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 2.5i and 08 Sti Suspension WRXbrother Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 03-24-2012 02:14 PM
Will an 08 WRX intake fit an 08 2.5i? Racing101 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 26 01-19-2012 11:57 AM
08 STI Wing on 08 2.5i impreza juny102004 Interior & Exterior Modification 13 01-18-2012 09:46 AM
Will 08+ WRX gauges swap into 08+ 2.5i? Simeon Priest Interior & Exterior Modification 10 03-26-2010 02:17 PM
08 2.5i mod question deunique1 Impreza Forum 1 10-03-2007 02:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.