Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
SubyWRXSti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79008
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Blitz STI
WRB INGS+1

Default Aggressive set up on Zerosports's car

I have been reading that Subaru's wheel bearing goes to poop very fast if you run aggressive wheel set up.

However, I just found out not long ago that Zerosports's car runs advan RS with +22 offset. Just wondering what are the modification needed to the car if such an aggressive set up is desired?

They run their car in Timeattack events which is way harsher than regular DD.

And also, I'm not sure why is it running such set up is bad for the bearing probably need some mechinical engineering background to explain it.

Any Idea?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SubyWRXSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
WAYGONE1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139073
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Default

Go to Tire racks web site i think they have a guide on this stuff. Im not sure u could run a 22 without a wide body, that would push the wheel out really far.
WAYGONE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
waktasz
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 86356
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

The Zerosports car is an STI right? Much better wheel bearings on those.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
TurbojonLS
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 38772
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NOVA
Vehicle:
2 Cars, No Bling

Default

Plus, its a race car. Which means it gets lots of attention, and frequently has parts replaced.
TurbojonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

...d000000000000000000000000000d...

race cars and street cars usually share at least ONE part.....the car that they LOOK like
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
moonlightspoon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 62164
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cherry Hill
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS

Default

As said above, they probably can replace them very often and use either stock STI or maybe even some kind of aftermarket bearing. Running the stock bearings on my RS for 106,000 miles is no big deal with the correct offset, but I'm sure they spend the time and money to tear down and rebuild the suspension every 1,000 track miles or whatever with new hardware.
moonlightspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
jdmdave
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116197
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 sti obp
sqc # 177 , lisc # 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
The Zerosports car is an STI right? Much better wheel bearings on those.
their show cars are stis, their track cars are wrxs.
jdmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
scby rex
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 104878
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: copperas cove
Vehicle:
02 wrxbastardchild
aw, MPS 2.34 breaking in

Default

^wrong, they all start life as a spec c. I japan you can order them anyway you want. So Zero/sports uses the 5 speed ra with a stock center diff, but a 20k lsd. The 5 speed is about 65lbs lighter than the 6. So when everything revolves around weight savings they use the 5. The Zero/sports car is WAY lighter than a regular street version. This is why their bearings are ok+ I agree with the above posts that they have a WAY more advanced service schedule. Most race teams, even grassroots guys, retorque and inspect EVERYTHING after and before a race. So in the time attacks, were all their worried about is 1 FAST lap, the wheel bearings would get replaced before each event. my .02
scby rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
jdmdave
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116197
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 sti obp
sqc # 177 , lisc # 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scby rex View Post
^wrong, they all start life as a spec c. I japan you can order them anyway you want. So Zero/sports uses the 5 speed ra with a stock center diff, but a 20k lsd. The 5 speed is about 65lbs lighter than the 6. So when everything revolves around weight savings they use the 5. The Zero/sports car is WAY lighter than a regular street version. This is why their bearings are ok+ I agree with the above posts that they have a WAY more advanced service schedule. Most race teams, even grassroots guys, retorque and inspect EVERYTHING after and before a race. So in the time attacks, were all their worried about is 1 FAST lap, the wheel bearings would get replaced before each event. my .02

http://www.zerosports.co.jp/concept/index.php#

go to the either the btz601r(there current t/a car), the btz301-r , or btz201

and read the chasis codes.. which are gda.

gda is wrx in japan, gdb would be sti. (spec c or other wise)

once again their track cars are wrxs do some research before u tell people there wrong

edit oh and all spec cs come with six speeds.. no gd chasis sti comes with a 5 speed from the factory
jdmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
scby rex
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 104878
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: copperas cove
Vehicle:
02 wrxbastardchild
aw, MPS 2.34 breaking in

Default

Yes they do, have you seen the zero/sports car inperson of ever watched option video featuring the zero cars? YOU do your research. I study the hell out of the zero cars. They use the spec c chassis as it is the lightest and they order it with the 5 speed. Yes you can order it like this in JAPAN. US sti owners for the most part have no clue the options that arent on the US spec "STi". Ok sorry to the OP, now back OT
scby rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
David Glasscock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25033
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: lakewood wa
Vehicle:
06 sti my $$ pit
05 xt my DD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyWRXSti View Post
I have been reading that Subaru's wheel bearing goes to poop very fast if you run aggressive wheel set up.

However, I just found out not long ago that Zerosports's car runs advan RS with +22 offset. Just wondering what are the modification needed to the car if such an aggressive set up is desired?

They run their car in Timeattack events which is way harsher than regular DD.

And also, I'm not sure why is it running such set up is bad for the bearing probably need some mechinical engineering background to explain it.

Any Idea?
i saw you leaving topfoods on sat, wish i would have gotten there sooner to check out the car. i noticed the wing i really liked it, i just need to see it up close now, so show me your car..
David Glasscock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
jdmdave
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 116197
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 sti obp
sqc # 177 , lisc # 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scby rex View Post
Yes they do, have you seen the zero/sports car inperson of ever watched option video featuring the zero cars? YOU do your research. I study the hell out of the zero cars. They use the spec c chassis as it is the lightest and they order it with the 5 speed. Yes you can order it like this in JAPAN. US sti owners for the most part have no clue the options that arent on the US spec "STi". Ok sorry to the OP, now back OT
well if u know so much about the zerosports cars can u answer me why a company that has been tuning subarus for long then u have owned one, made the major mistake of listing all their btz timeattack cars as wrxs (gda chassis) and there czs cars as gdbs. apparently u know more on this subject then me. so please enlighten me

oh and even if they were spec cs.. why would they list as gdas. all spec cs regardless of how they are ordered are chassis code gdb.

and please correct me by showing me some proof that the spec cs come with 5 speeds.

to the op i am sorry for the thread jack
jdmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
ayobreezie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117855
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento, CA
Vehicle:
2003 O.O
AWP

Default

Applied Model Codes:
1.8L (NA-Impreza): 5 (ie: GC5 is a 1.8L Impreza Sedan)
2.0L (pre-MY01 WRX): 8 (ie: GC8 is a 2.0L Impreza WRX Sedan)
2.0L (MY01+ WRX): A (ie: GGA is a 2.0L Impreza WRX Wagon)
2.0L (MY02+ WRX STi): B (ie: GDB is a 2.0L Impreza WRX STi Sedan)

2.2L (NA): C (ie: GFC is a 2.2L Impreza Wagon)
2.5L (NA-Impreza): E (ie: GME is a 2.5L Impreza Coupe)
2.5L (NA-Legacy): 6 (ie: BE6 is a 2.5L Legacy Sedan)
2.5L (XT): 9 (ie: SG9 is a 2.5L Forester XT)
2.5L (STi): F (ie: GDF is a 2.5L Impreza WRX STi Sedan)
3.0L (H6): 9 (ie: BE9 is a 3.0L Legacy Sedan)
ayobreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
leafpyle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 143017
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYGONE1 View Post
Go to Tire racks web site i think they have a guide on this stuff. Im not sure u could run a 22 without a wide body, that would push the wheel out really far.
I know, when referring to ADVAN RGs that the offsets range from +47 to +22. The +22 is known as "GT-R offset".

EDIT: This thread could use some pics:






http://www.jtuned.com/content/templa...d=585&zoneid=1
leafpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
EarlQHan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90215
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Where am I not?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafpyle View Post
I know, when referring to ADVAN RGs that the offsets range from +47 to +22. The +22 is known as "GT-R offset".

EDIT: This thread could use some pics:






http://www.jtuned.com/content/templa...d=585&zoneid=1
SO HOT. Anyways, back on topic. You have an 06 which means you have 5x114. If you want the GTR face your best options would be the 17x9.5 +35 or 18x9 +29. You will need to run an aggressive alignment, meaning -2 or less (-3 all around should do it). You will need to run skinny tires, probably no wider than 245 (depending on how much you pull the fenders). You will probably have to roll the front and cut the rear lip. And you will need stiff springs to keep the tire off the fender (coilovers make height adjustment, stiff spring rate, and camber setting easy). It's not hard, but body work and low offset seems to be enough to scare off pretty much all Subaru owners.
EarlQHan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
YCT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122167
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago Dirty South
Vehicle:
07 Acura TL TypeS
Kinetic Blue Pearl

Default

man thats sexy
YCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
scby rex
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 104878
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: copperas cove
Vehicle:
02 wrxbastardchild
aw, MPS 2.34 breaking in

Default

If you want to see a 5spd in the z/s cars watch option video #14 as "Tarzan" Yamada runs it around tsukaba
OR the modified mag issue with the z/s sti in in.
scby rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 WRX wgn aggressive set up 18x9, +35 offset, 245x40x18, cobb springs. to do or not? yurka89 Tire & Wheel 3 11-02-2009 10:30 PM
Anyone Have a Video Recording System Set Up in There Car? MacintoshMan Car Audio, Video & Security 6 11-05-2008 08:59 PM
best top mount set up on a budget?? Silver_Fox Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 14 10-08-2004 01:35 AM
Current set up for TXS car? Gman094 Interior & Exterior Modification 2 05-11-2003 09:40 PM
What is the best set up on Tec3 ChAi Engine Management & Tuning 2 03-21-2003 11:48 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.