Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
BakedPotato
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 159677
Vehicle:
1996 Legacy Outback

Default Coolant circuit problem

I replaced the coolant temp. sender (the one that goes to the gauge) this past June because the gauge wasn't moving. That solved the problem and now the gauge is reading accurately.

However, about 2-3 months ago, the CEL came on and when I scanned it I got Trouble Code P0115, which is "Coolant temp. sensor circuit malfunction." I reset it and all was well for a few days until the light came back on. Scanned it, same code; reset it, came back on within a week. I keep getting the same TC, I keep resetting it, it keeps coming back on 2-3 days later.

The sensor, as I mentioned, is new; the gauge is reading fine; and the coolant is within the proper temp. range (measured independent of the gauge).

Any advice?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BakedPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

There are 2 coolant temperature sending units - a single wire one that drives the gauge in the instrument cluster, and a dual (I think) wire one that feeds the ECU. If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you replaced the one for the gauge, which just has a single wire with a spade connector hooked to it. Am I right?

I doubt the CEL would be tripped by the sending unit that drives the gauge in the instrument cluster. It's more likely it's being tripped by the larger sending unit that feeds the ECU.

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote