Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
toysnyc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164703
Default Engine problem on 96L wagon Automatic

Help!
Since the weather has gotten a bit chillier, my 1996 legacy wagon is having some problems.

When the engine is cold, it idles really high and, as the engine warms up and the rpms decrease, it revs then lowers and gets real bumpy - blub, blub, blubby.

Then, CEL comes on and the car wants to accelerate.

I popped the hood while this was happeneing and saw a spark on the box connecting the spark plugs.

As the engine warms up and I drive the car, the engine starts to run smooth again.

I ahve heard of this issue with other Subaru owners but never anything about what it is, what causes it and how to fix it.

Can anybody out there provide some insight? I already called cartalk but they don't seem interested in responding.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
toysnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
JaySVX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164676
Vehicle:
1994 Subaru SVX LSi
Barcelona Red

The legacy 2.5litre has hydraulic lifters, the 2.2litre may as well. If that's the case, cold starting when it's chilly may cause issues with hydraulic pressure due to the fluid condensing in colder conditions. It would certainly explain why the engine would run smooth when the car warms up. This is a real long shot, but might be worth looking into. This is also the reason your not supposed to just start up and go, you need to give it a few seconds for hydraulic system to build pressure.

Go to an auto shop and have them pull the codes that your getting on a cold start. That should give you a place to start at least. You can also buy the testers at many auto shops for as little as $50 or as much as $100.
JaySVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
toysnyc
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that idea - I hadn't thought of it at all. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the sparkplugs or the cables. It really feels like the engine is mis-firing.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
jreb10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 157205
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy L Wagon

"I popped the hood while this was happeneing and saw a spark on the box connecting the spark plugs."

I don't think you should be seeing a "spark". How old are your spark plug wires? Start up the car in darkness and see if the wires are arcing anywhere. If they are, you should replace them. I have heard that Subarus are quite picky about their spark plug wires and you should only use genuine subaru OEM wires.
jreb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
toysnyc
Scooby Newbie

THanks again. I just go the CEL read and it says that cylinder four is misfiring. MAkes perfect sense too. That is where the spark is - right at the terminal where the wire meets the terminal on the engine bloc.

How do I take taht wire out? Tried it and it is hard to get to and in there really tight.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
toysnyc
Scooby Newbie

Just replaced them. Now I have to wait till tomorrow morning to see what happens.