Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
NYCshopper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5126
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: www.nugateway.com
Default GM plans to make hybrids in China

GM plans to make hybrids in China

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7116443.stm



Quote:
General Motors (GM) plans to start making hybrid cars in China, its latest step into the fast growing market.
The car will be made in a joint venture with Shanghai Automotive, and will come off the production line in time for next year's Beijing Olympic Games.

GM announced last month that it is building a research centre in Shanghai to develop hybrid technologies.

Hybrid cars are designed to use a combination of power sources, usually petrol and electricity.

The Chinese government's National Development and Reform Commission is understood to be drafting plans to provide subsidies for low-emission vehicles.

The rules are expected to require that some of the components be made in China.

Currently Toyota is the only company making hybrids in China - it sold 2,000 there last year.

GM also announced that it will launch its plug-in hybrid, the Chevrolet Volt, by the end of 2010.

It has not given details of which model it will be building in China.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NYCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Hazdaz
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 14611
Join Date: Jan 2002
Default

Quote:
GM announced last month that it is building a research centre in Shanghai to develop hybrid technologies.
If we had an administration that had a damn clue and pushed for alternative fuels and hybrid technology, that research facility might have been opened up here in the US and brought jobs into the US. Just more proof that as a nation, investing in these technologies can help the economy and create jobs.
Hazdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
shamrock 05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120057
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: *outskirts of motor city*
Vehicle:
2004 "Bugeye" WRX
WRB

Default

^^And everyone wonders why this country is failing in the job market. Thats it USA, keep sending jobs out of this country. The guy that came up with this idea should have been shipped out of here next day air for this decision
shamrock 05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Chromer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20325
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 Yamaha WR250R
07 Suzuki DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock 05 View Post
^^And everyone wonders why this country is failing in the job market. Thats it USA, keep sending jobs out of this country. The guy that came up with this idea should have been shipped out of here next day air for this decision
Probably they did. Likely he's in charge of the program, and got a huge bonus.

Maybe it's not well known, but China's expected future fuel economy standards look like they will be quite strict. In a couple years there won't be a currently-made US vehicle that meets the standards.

If GM wants to be there long-term, they need to have saleable vehicles. And they do want to be there long-term, it will be a massive market soon, as will India.
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Hazdaz
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 14611
Join Date: Jan 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Probably they did. Likely he's in charge of the program, and got a huge bonus.

Maybe it's not well known, but China's expected future fuel economy standards look like they will be quite strict. In a couple years there won't be a currently-made US vehicle that meets the standards.

If GM wants to be there long-term, they need to have saleable vehicles. And they do want to be there long-term, it will be a massive market soon, as will India.
All the more reason to tighten our standards also. I have been saying for this ages now - the more strict US rules become, the more competitive Detroit will be to sell their cars throughout the world... and this story proves that out. Instead of relying on US-based R&D to get these hybrid vehicles, they have to go all the way to China and hire engineers there.

How does the US as a nation plan on staying #1 in the world, with this kind of 'brain drain' happening. All the latest technologies (in many industries, not just cars) are being developed abroad because we have an administration that thinks Jebus is going to come and save us, so in turn we don't have to do anything.
Hazdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
JoeyW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100192
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazdaz View Post
How does the US as a nation plan on staying #1 in the world, with this kind of 'brain drain' happening. All the latest technologies (in many industries, not just cars) are being developed abroad because we have an administration that thinks Jebus is going to come and save us, so in turn we don't have to do anything.
well it just seems like the US doesnt plan on staying on top do they
JoeyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM plans to shift overseas production AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 7 05-13-2009 01:00 AM
GM Plans To Issue 60 BILLION Shares Of Stock AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 20 05-11-2009 01:30 PM
GM plans to make Chevrolet a global brand like Toyota, VW NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 6 03-10-2007 12:43 AM
Fiat may team up with Chrey to make cars in China NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 1 10-31-2006 08:24 AM
If you could pick one GM car to make a getaway on the freeway, what would you pick? mr_disco Off-Topic 73 05-31-2003 06:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.