Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Jonnyfive
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395731
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

Default Detailing starter package

So I've been on the wait list for the Detailer's Domain starter detail package for about a month now. What's another great starter package to buy so I can have all the basics needed to take care of my car at home? Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Stabile11b
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395607

You should really check out Stay Fresh Car Care.

They have amazing stuff! I found them at a Tampa show.

http://www.stayfreshcarcare.com/

Last edited by Stabile11b; 07-10-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Stabile11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
dpenn
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 141201
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
DGM

I have had good luck with Chemical Guys products...

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Car_Care...art_up_s/1.htm
dpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389296
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

Starter packages aren't always the best thing to get. Often times you get things you don't really need. You can get more for your money by buying other products individually.

If you let me know your needs I can recommend some products.
JustinTimeBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Jonnyfive
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

I've never detailed my car myself, so I have basically nothing. I'm not satisfied with the services/quality for the price I pay, so I figure I'll do it myself for awhile. I've been reading most of the stickies on here, and just need to start buying things now. I figured a starter kit was the cheaper way to go and would be an easier solution than buying 10-15 different things from different websites.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

You can get pretty much everything everything from sites like Autogeek, Detailed Image, and Detailer's Domain. Check out the detailing forums if you haven't already to get up to speed on proper technique etc.

I'd recommend:

3 Five Gallon Buckets (Home Depot has them for about $3, 2BM + 1 for wheels)
At least 2 Grit Guards
Quality Car Wash Soap (Meguiar's D110 Hyper-Wash - Dilluted 400:1!)
All Purpose Cleaner (Meguiar's D103)
Wheel and Tire Cleaner (Meguiar's D143)
Glass Cleaner (Sprayway is great)
Wheel Brushes (I love my Speed Master Wheel Brush from Autogeek)
Clay Bar Kit
Paint Protection (I recommend Sonax Polymer Net Shield)
Assorted microfiber towels and a few wash mitts (Check out The Rag Company, they have great prices)

You can get it all from one site, but I recommend getting microfiber related products from The Rag Company. They sound low quality, but they truly have the best prices around.

The Meguiar's products are gallons but they dilute, last a long time, and are cost-effective.

Last edited by JustinTimeBoost; 07-10-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Jonnyfive
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

Thanks for the advice! Is the paint protection you recommend the only product required after a wash? No other sealants, polishes, waxes, etc?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

It depends how crazy you want to get. Seeing as your just starting out, I just tried to recommend the basics.

To keep it simply once you've washed and clayed the car I would apply a sealant to protect the freshly cleaned and decontaminated paint. The Sonax Polymer Net Shield I mentioned is great and last many months, but there are other options as well.

Here's some more info: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

You'll find in detailing that not all products and brands are created equal. No brand makes the best of everything like many brand loyalists would like to believe. I have a bunch of different brands that I use and like.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
jdick0101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 357103

Depends what kind of condition your paint is in and what you are after.

After wash and clay, if your paint is in pretty bad shape you can use polish (machine, multistep, correcting, reviving, etc.). It depends on the level of correction you want and how much time and money you have to blow.

Polishes strip the wax on the car and correct the clear coat. you always want to protect after a polish. there are two main options for this. sealant and wax.

Wax will giv you a deeper, richer look to the paint, but will not offer the same protection as a sealant would.

I normally polish once a year, and wax 2-3 times a year depedning on the wax.

For normal week to week washing use the method JustinTime suggested.

I like to use a good detail spray before drying to neutralize the pH of the water sitting on my car to reduce water spots.

It's all about the time and quality of products you are willing to throw at it. I personally use Adam's Polishes for everything. They are pricey, but their stuff is pretty hard to mess up with.

Go onto their website and look at their videos. They have tutorials for every phase of washing/polishing/protecting. They obviously promote their own products in the videos, but you can use their techniques and swap out their stuff with some more affordable products.
jdick0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdick0101 View Post
It's all about the time and quality of products you are willing to throw at it.
Exactly. There's a whole world of high-level detailing to discover. Just depends how deep you want to get.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Jonnyfive
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

Great stuff guys, thanks so much!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
declansdad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 23248
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Ford F150 FX4
2012 OB 2.5i Limited

Since DD's stuff is out of stock, why not go to the source?

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-99-ad...etail-kit.aspx

Michael
declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Gr8Dane
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170688
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1994 Subaru SVX LSi
Laguna Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTimeBoost View Post
Assorted microfiber towels and a few wash mitts (Check out The Rag Company, they have great prices)

You can get it all from one site, but I recommend getting microfiber related products from The Rag Company. They sound low quality, but they truly have the best prices around.
^^^ This, a million times THIS!

Microfiber towels are an often-overlooked part of the process and the number of people that just assume "They're all alike" drive me insane. If you use ****ty towels from Autozone or Walmart on your paint, you're gonna regret it.

The Costco cheap packs of 36 work good for interior stuff, but don't touch your paint with them. (Seriously, don't)

For your paint, you can't go wrong with these.
Gr8Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Jonnyfive
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
DGM

Ha, thanks. I have the costco 36 pack actually.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

Yes, it's best to have different groups of microfibers. One's only for the paint, one's for interior, and older, worn one's for dirtier jobs, etc.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Jmgoelz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350901
Vehicle:
12 Wrx
Wrb

Just went on that website (rag company) and wow great prices and free shipping. I have a small detailing business (basic handwash to full paint corrections) and I get all my stuff from autogeek but they can't touch those prices. A couple good ones on there that I'm gonna jump on. (eagle edgeless blue looks like a woobie and its made in south korea so its good)
Jmgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #17
extransam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287109
Vehicle:
04 WRX 2.2 Hybrid
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane View Post
^^^ This, a million times THIS!

Microfiber towels are an often-overlooked part of the process and the number of people that just assume "They're all alike" drive me insane. If you use ****ty towels from Autozone or Walmart on your paint, you're gonna regret it.

The Costco cheap packs of 36 work good for interior stuff, but don't touch your paint with them. (Seriously, don't)

For your paint, you can't go wrong with these.
I can echo this, I have Costco 36 pack, and thought they were great until my paint starting marring after I started detailing on the side. My own car was getting marred by the rough edges and now I have work to fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTimeBoost View Post
Yes, it's best to have different groups of microfibers. One's only for the paint, one's for interior, and older, worn one's for dirtier jobs, etc.
Another site is microfibertech.com. Prices are somewhat more unless you buy in bulk (100+) but they are top notch quality.

Rather than a starter kit, if you plan on spending more than $200, go to autoality.com and buy a 1yr $50 membership. You get amazing savings (e.g. pads for $4, ONR for $11); I saved $60 on my first purchase that was $120 total (would have been $180 anywhere else).

Chemical Guys is a good starting company, but they make a lot of duplicate products and it almost seems disorganized. Not sure if you are interested in paint correction, as that is an entire other conversation, but hopefully these are a few more helpful tips!
extransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
JustinTimeBoost
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by extransam View Post
Rather than a starter kit, if you plan on spending more than $200, go to autoality.com and buy a 1yr $50 membership. You get amazing savings (e.g. pads for $4, ONR for $11); I saved $60 on my first purchase that was $120 total (would have been $180 anywhere else).
Autoality is great. AND they're local to me during the summer so no shipping charges!