Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default Anyway around 07 immobilizer?

Purchased an 07sti drive train recently. I was wondering how do i get around the fact that the 07 ecu has an immobilizer?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Master2192
RIP 10/12/83 to 02/10/08
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83254
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roy, Washington
Vehicle:
98 2.5 RS
04 WRX

Default

There is no going around it other than a standalone EMS. You will need to get all the parts needed for the immobilizer, as well as the original keys or a key made by Subaru (Subaru will need to change the immobilizer on the ecu)
Master2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default

What parts do i need? All i have is the motor, wiring harness, and ecu.
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
flstffxe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155358
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Vehicle:
2008 Forester
Steel Silver

Default

not sure but couldn't you get by with a 07 key and switch, replace yours and add in any missing wiring? a thought.
flstffxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
bmxpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89599
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: middle of nowhere, wyoming
Vehicle:
1995 almost 22B:)
red

Default

Hmm I would have to check again but I think the body integrated unit and the Gauge cluster are part of the immobilizer system too. NOt positive though....
bmxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Slack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17548
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default

From personal experience, I will tell you that trying to get a car running with a stock setup, including immobilizer equipment, is pretty much impossible. Go standalone or find another engine swap.

Mick
Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Rabidbyte
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36039
Join Date: Apr 2003
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5RS

Default

You need the Key, Immobilizer, ECU, and Antenna Halo. They all, except the antenna halo, have to be from the same car. If your mission any of these you are SOL. Wiring the immobilizer is no big deal.
Rabidbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Rabidbyte
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36039
Join Date: Apr 2003
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxpunk View Post
Hmm I would have to check again but I think the body integrated unit and the Gauge cluster are part of the immobilizer system too. NOt positive though....

The Gauge Cluster does not have to be present. The only thing that is connected to the Cluster is the LED.


-G
Rabidbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
JJ's Red Wagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 155937
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza w/EJ255
Red

Default

I believe the MY07 uses the CAN system so the gauge gluster is part of the imobilizer like the Legacy GT. You can use an MY04 sti ecu and just repin a few things if you want to avoid the imobilizer.
JJ's Red Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
RSmatt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 8039
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Feeding Hills, MA
Vehicle:
94 v2 STi RA - RHD

Default

The 07 STi is definitely not a CAN BUS system. Rabidbyte is correct. You will need the key , immobilizer box, ecu and halo. Wiring is no big deal. I've done quite a few immobilized STi's and 06+ wrx' without issue.
RSmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ's Red Wagon View Post
You can use an MY04 sti ecu and just repin a few things if you want to avoid the imobilizer.
Is there any negatives to using the 04 ecu?
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
Slack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17548
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default

I believe you also need to upgrade all four wheel hubs due to the ECU needing input from the abs/speed sensors.
Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #13
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
I believe you also need to upgrade all four wheel hubs due to the ECU needing input from the abs/speed sensors.
I plan on running 04 sti hubs to retain 5x100 already.
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 177
Join Date: Aug 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise,Idaho,USA
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmatt View Post
The 07 STi is definitely not a CAN BUS system. Rabidbyte is correct. You will need the key , immobilizer box, ecu and halo. Wiring is no big deal. I've done quite a few immobilized STi's and 06+ wrx' without issue.
if you have the tool to reauthorize the key

the other option would be a hydra...
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
flystiguy14
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74416
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: spanaway washington
Vehicle:
91 SS leggy
pearl white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
From personal experience, I will tell you that trying to get a car running with a stock setup, including immobilizer equipment, is pretty much impossible. Go standalone or find another engine swap.

Mick
This is not at all true, I have witnessed at least 3 swaps using the immobilizer. If you have all the components
you can just wire it in.
flystiguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
Slack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17548
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flystiguy14 View Post
This is not at all true, I have witnessed at least 3 swaps using the immobilizer. If you have all the components
you can just wire it in.
That is correct. BUT, if you have to replace any component down the line (even a key), you're screwed. The system would have to be reinitialized by a dealership and they won't touch any vehicle with that setup.

Either getting an 04 STi ecu or a standalone would be the savvy way to go.

Mick
Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default

Ok so what are the negatives to getting an 04 ecu?
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
flystiguy14
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 74416
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: spanaway washington
Vehicle:
91 SS leggy
pearl white

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
That is correct. BUT, if you have to replace any component down the line (even a key), you're screwed. The system would have to be reinitialized by a dealership and they won't touch any vehicle with that setup.

Either getting an 04 STi ecu or a standalone would be the savvy way to go.

Mick
For the average joe walking in off the street probably not but if you were to take your car to a reputable shop like the one i work for then they SHOULD be able to get it done for you. At least one of the swaps that we have done have had to have the key reprogrammed.
flystiguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
Slack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17548
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default

Reprogramming keys is one thing, but if, let's say, a body integrated unit goes bad and needs to be replaced. Unless you work at a Subaru dealership and have access to a Subaru Select Monitor-2, then you couldn't re-initialize the system. I've talked with people that work for SOA and they said a dealership cannot legally will not touch a car that has a new Subaru immobilizer system installed into an older car that didn't originally come with that system. Is it a stupid rule for people like myself who want newer, technologically advanced engines swapped into their older cars? Yes. But unless you have a dealership who doesn't mind going against official policy and will hook your car up to the SSM-2, then installing such a system is not a wise way to go.

Mick
Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #20
hungy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 60877
Join Date: Apr 2004
Default

Hey guys,

I recently just obtained a 2006 Legacy GT that is going to become my donor car for my gc swap. My question in regards to the immobilizer is the LGT immobilizer different then the WRX/STI one? Do I need to swap the guage cluster from an LGT into the GC in order for the system to work. I will have the whole car and both set of keys by the way. Any input would be great. thanks
hungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 AM   #21
kaos200
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2692
Join Date: Oct 2000
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
From personal experience, I will tell you that trying to get a car running with a stock setup, including immobilizer equipment, is pretty much impossible. Go standalone or find another engine swap.

Mick
Not True. Totally stock swap is very much POSSIBLE, and recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidbyte View Post
You need the Key, Immobilizer, ECU, and Antenna Halo. They all, except the antenna halo, have to be from the same car. If your mission any of these you are SOL. Wiring the immobilizer is no big deal.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidbyte View Post
The Gauge Cluster does not have to be present. The only thing that is connected to the Cluster is the LED.


-G
Again Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
I believe you also need to upgrade all four wheel hubs due to the ECU needing input from the abs/speed sensors.
If you are wiring in DCCD, ABS, from the donor car. You must also swap in all 4 wheel hubs/sensors etc to be compatible.
I have done an 04 swap to an RS that was compatible because it was still using the old style ABS pump/computer but I believe we still swapped the hubs/sensors anyways.
kaos200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Seraphinwolf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150922
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fremont, NH
Vehicle:
97 OBS EZ30R
94SVX LSi Bourduex Pearl

Default

Doing a stock set up EZ30R into a 97 OBS. I feel your pain. Right Mick? Why didn't your's have ABS again?(one of the reasons he went Hydra and I"m buying his stock ECU and a few other bits.)
-Gaddis
Seraphinwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #23
mikeis300
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149526
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: portland metro area
Vehicle:
2002 aps dr65 hybrid
9.1x1 built block/heads

Default

i have a couple ecu's and matching keys ill try swapping them to see if they turn over the car. if they work i can setup up with a pair
mikeis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Subaruski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39905
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portlandia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeis300 View Post
i have a couple ecu's and matching keys ill try swapping them to see if they turn over the car. if they work i can setup up with a pair
what year ecus and keys do you have?
Subaruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
wrx_driver_2002
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 25952
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Under your hood :-)
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza Coupe
w/ "Extras" :-)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post
Reprogramming keys is one thing, but if, let's say, a body integrated unit goes bad and needs to be replaced. Unless you work at a Subaru dealership and have access to a Subaru Select Monitor-2, then you couldn't re-initialize the system. I've talked with people that work for SOA and they said a dealership cannot legally will not touch a car that has a new Subaru immobilizer system installed into an older car that didn't originally come with that system. Is it a stupid rule for people like myself who want newer, technologically advanced engines swapped into their older cars? Yes. But unless you have a dealership who doesn't mind going against official policy and will hook your car up to the SSM-2, then installing such a system is not a wise way to go.

Mick

That's why you go to an Independent shop that has a SSM2 and can reprogram the immobilizers WITHOUT SOA's help This only works for the 05's. The 06's and newer require the SSM3.
wrx_driver_2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verizon requires data plan to activate phone. Anyway around it? Mrhappy Off-Topic 28 04-17-2010 11:09 PM
07 wrx ecu, key, immobilizer, compatible with 06 sti? Dubstar112 Subaru Conversions 1 04-02-2010 12:37 AM
Military folk... Anyway around the permanent medical profile? Drink Off-Topic 19 07-20-2009 01:30 PM
Anyway around the 24.75 psi target boost limit in the 16bit ECU? Phatron Open Source Reflashes 10 11-06-2008 06:24 PM
05, with 07 motor with immobilizer problem. hitadeercivic Subaru Conversions 9 09-23-2008 11:46 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.