Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
raptor118
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14613
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

Default Opinions on Subaru Gold Plus Extended Warranty

Does anyone have any eperiences (good or bad) with the Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty? I'm thinking of getting th 5 yr/60k mile $100 deductible plan for $649. To go with an 6 yr/80k mile would cost ~$1078 + $200 surcharge for the turbo.

Thanks in advance for any information.

KC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
raptor118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
Rocketcar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12294
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
06 WRX Sea dan
Black

Irvine Subaru tried to sell me the extended warranty. I said no and a few moments later the guy ofered again at half price!!!
can you say pure profit!!?? the first price was 1400.00 the second $700.00. I like the idea of being covered for that long but not for the price. If you buy get a better price. That thing is almost pure profit for them they have room to drop. For me I'm happy with 4yr/48,000 on the drivetrain. By that time I'll be driving an STi.
Rocketcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
Sean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 518
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
762 PGT Impreza L,
Silverado EXT, Yaris

People called me an idiot for getting the 100k gold warranty with $50 deductable. My Father inlaw pressured me into it because "service is everything." I paid the $X thousand pretty much just to have him stop bothering me about it. I'm glad I did. So far I've had the following replaced under warranty (I basically got a lemon):

Transmission case
First-fifth gears
First-fifth synchros
Clutch (3x)
Throwout bearing (3x)
Clutch cable (2x)
Clutch fork (3x)
Distributor cap

Lots more, just can't think of it off the top of my head.

Fear the Trunkmonkey. There is no cone.
Trunkmonkey World Headquarters | Trunkmonkey Racing
sean@trunkmonkey.com | What is a Trunkmonkey?
Somebody set up us the WRX. All your rice are belong to us!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:52 AM   #4
SubyNewbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9529
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Forester 2.5X
Dark Grey

It all depends, if you plan to do any upgrades, don't bother, cuz most upgrades void warranty. If you rack up miles quickly, don't bother, you'll pay the money and the thing will run out before you even get to use it. Do you see my point ? If you plan to have much fun with the car, the extra money isn't worth it.
SubyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 12:39 PM   #5
raptor118
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

I decided to not buy the warranty with the car (5yr/60k/$100 for $649) and shop for it separately through other local dealers.

I verified with SOA that you can purchase the extended warranty any time before the factory one expires. The only increase is price would be due to inflation or raising rates. There is no "used" car rate that the sales person told me I would incur if I bought it later.

I sent out an email for quotes and got back a very wide range of prices. Once quote I got back was 6yr/80k/$50 for $684. So for another $45 I can get an additional yr, 20k miles, and a cheaper deductible.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:09 PM   #6
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5844
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

Default Gold Plus SOA Extended Warranty Cost

raptor118 ,

Were the prices you were quoted for one of the SOA Plans? Which one did you end up getting. I've been calling around and have been getting much higher quotes. I'd very much like to get a baseline for what's a good deal and what's a rip off for the Gold Plus SOA plan. Who did you send the emails to when you asked for quotes? I might try to use that technique...

Maybe we should get a new thread started with prices for the plans?

Thanks,
Tim
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 08:21 PM   #7
raptor118
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

The plans I'm looking at are the SOA Gold Plus plans. I was going to get the 5yr/60k/$100 warranty for $649 from the dealer selling me the car, but decided against it. I called SOA and they told me that I can get the warranty any time before the factory warranty expires and that it would be the same price (other than inflation and rate increases).

I went to the subaru site and entered my zip code (44145, I'm in Ohio) in the "find a dealer" box and emailed a few close by (although I suppose you can buy it anywhere nationwide). The quotes that I got back ranged from MSRP to 1/2 of MSRP. Ellacott-Shaker Subaru (ellacottsales@adelphia.net) quoted me the following:

6yr/80k/$0 $784
7yr/100k/$0 $1229
6yr/80k/$50 $684
7yr/100k/$50 $1104

I wonder if it is too good to be true. Maybe you can email them and see what they quote you.

For a list of MSRP warranty prices go to:
http://www.freehold.subaru.com/f_security2.html

My brother is buying a WRX and he's searching for best prices in NJ.

KC
Old 01-31-2002, 11:36 PM   #8
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

I'll send them an email in the morning asking for a quote. It'll be interesting to see what they say. The prices they quoted you are damn low compared to what I've seen. I wonder how it would work for me to buy it from them with me here in CO?

Tim
Old 02-01-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Sean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 518
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
762 PGT Impreza L,
Silverado EXT, Yaris

Quote:
Originally posted by SubyNewbie
It all depends, if you plan to do any upgrades, don't bother, cuz most upgrades void warranty.
Upgrades do not void the warranty! My short shifter did not void my tranny warranty (I had the tranny work done after the short shifter was installed). My cold air intake did not void my engine warranty (I had warranty work done to diagnose bucking at low RPMs). My opened scoops feeding my cold air intake did not void my electrical warranty (I had warranty work done to replace the distributor cap after salt got into the contacts).

The only way for an upgrade to void the warranty is of the dealer and/or SOA can prove that the upgrade directly caused the part failure. For example a turbo blowing a transmission or cracking a head or something.

Fear the Trunkmonkey. There is no cone.
Trunkmonkey World Headquarters | Trunkmonkey Racing
sean@trunkmonkey.com | What is a Trunkmonkey?
Somebody set up us the WRX. All your rice are belong to us!
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 07:30 AM   #10
raptor118
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
silver

Tim,

I also got an email back from one dealer offering to sell me the Gold Plus extended warranty for $100 over cost. OK, where do I get info on dealer cost for warranties? They publish the invoice prices for car, we need a consumer group to get them to publish warranty invoice prices...

I assume you can buy the warranty through any Subaru dealer. I would think that all they would need is the VIN number of your car and a credit card. But I haven't purhased one, so I can't say for sure. Maybe if you're right up against the 3yr/36k mile mark, they may want to verify your odometer.

KC
Old 02-01-2002, 09:15 AM   #11
FastPorsche
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11125
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Silverthorne

The dealer I leased my car from gave me the gold extended plan and I think the other dealer on this side of town gives them out to.
FastPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:25 PM   #12
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

I just sent this email to half a dozen dealerships. I'll let you know what happens.

Tim

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing the Subaru "Gold Plus" 7 years / 100,000 miles $0 deductible extended warranty for my 2002 Impreza WRX. The vehicle currently has 10,000 miles on it. I am not interested in purchasing a non-Subaru extended warranty. Please email me your lowest price quote for this specific warranty for my vehicle. I am sending this request to five other dealerships. I intend purchase the warranty from the dealership who offers me the lowest price.

Sincerely,
Tim
Old 02-03-2002, 11:17 AM   #13
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

Default Dealer Responses

So far, this is by far the best deal I've been offered. This guy said he would give any I-Club member this deal. He's located in Ft. Collins, CO, 50 miles north of Denver. I offer is for the Subaru Gold Plus 7/100000 $0 deductible.

Tim

Mr. Welty-
My name is Joel Cushing, Business Mgr at King Subaru. I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business and will give you a quote on the Subaru 7/100,000 mile warranty. My cost (as well as the cost for every other Subaru dealer in the Denver Region) for that warranty is a base cost of $1129.00 plus a $200.00 surcharge for the turbo. My total cost for this warranty (zero deductible by the way) is $1329.00, the minimum profit I must make to keep my dealer happy is 10%--so my bottom dollar to you would be $1461.00 (there is no tax on a service agreement in Colorado).
Once again the cost that I shared with you is the same for every dealer in the Denver Region, and if you wish to come in I will share the Subaru cost sheet with you. If you have any further questions, feel free to reply back to me here at my personal e-mail address: cush4christ@hotmail.com. Or, if you wish to speak to me you can call me at 970-667-8905, ask the receptionist for Joel and she will transfer you.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:23 PM   #14
gtguy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2184
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

Get the warranty. It's not that expensive compared to possibly repairing something that it covers. It extends the roadside assistance, and covers a rental car for any time that your car is disabled due to a covered repair.

If you don't use it, good for you. But it's like car insurance. It's a good thing to have if you need it, and compared to what the car costs, it's cheap.

Kevin
gtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:14 PM   #15
naveeny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12381
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS
Silver

Damn that is cheap. I have an impreza rs with no turbo so I don't have to pay the 200 dollar surcharge. I will probably give him a call.

However, I just noticed this. He doesn't mention the Gold Plus warranty. So he may be referring to the Classic warranty. Be careful.

Last edited by naveeny; 02-04-2002 at 12:33 PM.
naveeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:41 PM   #16
naveeny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS
Silver

Quote:
6yr/80k/$0 $784
7yr/100k/$0 $1229
6yr/80k/$50 $684
7yr/100k/$50 $1104
I don't know about you guys but look at the price difference in one year and 20k Its almost double the price.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #17
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

It makes sense to me that the probability of something expensive breaking on the car during the 6th and 7th years or 80k - 100k mile range is much greater than the odds of something breaking before then. Based on the 37% price increase from years 6-7/80-100, Subaru must things the odds good enough that they are going to try and discourage the purchasing of this warranty.

Either that or I'm just a sucker...

Tim
Old 02-09-2002, 05:11 PM   #18
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

Default Bought the Warranty

I drove up to Loveland, CO today and bought the warranty. $1461.00 as promised for the SOA GoldPlus 7/100k/$0 split into 10 equal interest free payments. The process took less than ten minutes and I left feeling confident I paid a good price and was not lied to.

If anybody is interested in buying a SOA warranty, they should considering giving Joel a call. He said he'd give anyone on the I-Club the same deal (10% over cost - he showed me his invoice cost before I paid) and that he could FedEx the documents if needed to anywhere across the country. I pasted his information below.

Joel Cushing
King Subaru
401 South Lincoln Avenue
Loveland, Colorado 80537
(970) 667-8905
cush4christ@hotmail.com
http://www.kingsubaru.com/

Tim Welty
Old 03-10-2002, 04:44 PM   #19
NMWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8269
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default Extended Warranty Info

Thanx to all for info.

NMWRX
NMWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 05:13 PM   #20
exz3owner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16094

hmmmm....interesting. I used to work in that business, and I had a conversation with a buddy who still does, (at a bmw/subaru dealer). He said the 0 deductable, 100k/mi 7yr SOA warranty cost them just under $1000.

prices don't change across the nation. maybe he was mistaken, but i doubt it...
exz3owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #21
naveeny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS
Silver

Quote:
hmmmm....interesting. I used to work in that business, and I had a conversation with a buddy who still does, (at a bmw/subaru dealer). He said the 0 deductable, 100k/mi 7yr SOA warranty cost them just under $1000.
Can you ask him what the dealers cost is for the warranty? It would be appreciated very gratefully by everyone who owns a Subaru.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:30 PM   #22
LWG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15921

Timmay,
Where in CO did you buy your WRX?

I am going to get one in April and no-one acts like they will deal on these. Seeing how I am stubborn and cheap I will not pay remotely close to MSRP for a Subaru.
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:32 PM   #23
Apisatrox
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9523
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
Rally Ridge Blue

Lucky? not lucky?

I found a dealership that gave me a 5 year 100,000 mile gold 0 deductable for just over 1,000 bucks.

And since I put well over 25,000 miles a year on my car; it didn't make sense to play the extra 200-300 bucks to add on extra years to the warrenty.

Not sure if you drive that much, or have the option at all.

Bryce
Apisatrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:12 PM   #24
Timmay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blaze Yellow

Default WRX

LWG,

I ordered a blaze yellow WRX from Burt Subaru early in 2001. I chose Burt because my wife bought a 00 2.5 RS there, and the dude we dealt with seemed pretty cool. However, buying my WRX from Burt was not a pleasant experience and I do not intend to go back. Not even to use my free oil change coupons. I've also done business with the people at FlatIrons in Boulder. They were a bit more courteous, but they still played all the stupid dealership games and I felt they were somewhat misleading. I have some friends who bought from FlatIrons and had a postive experience. You should check on the Rocky Mountain forum, I think somebody recently bouhgt a car from there. The guy I dealt with in Loveland (Joel Cushing - King Subaru) when I bought my extended warranty seemed honest enough. I don't think he'd lie to you, which is enough in my books. Tell him I sent you if you give him a call. His contact information is a bit further up in this thread.

Tim
Old 03-12-2002, 12:49 AM   #25
2roos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12634
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Platinum Silver Metallic

Go to John Marzolf in Pueblo, talk to Tarrah (see the Dealerships Forum). I bought my WRX for $300 over the true total invoice price, the invoice price included all the options. Also, they were great to deal with - no games, the car came in on time as ordered. The only better deal I have seen is the offer from IMBA, the mountain biking club. If you are a member for at least 6 months, you can buy any Subaru at the actual invoice cost.

Also, Marzolf sold me a $0 deductable, 7yr/100k mile, Gold Plus warranty for $1129.
2roos is offline   Reply With Quote