Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59648
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Default 2.5 DOHC swap to 2.2 SOHC compatibility?

Edit: Ok I have a new question at hand but didn't want to start a new thread. Would the ECU/wiring/intake manifold from my DOHC motor bolt onto and run a SOHC 2.5L engine? I know the SOHC's are better motors thats why I'm wondering. But if the blocks are pretty much the same and it will bolt in I think that'd be a better idea than another DOHC. Please chime in with opinions/advice! Thanks!

Alright, I know this seems like a stupid idea to begin with but hear me out. I got a 97' Outback with a bummed 2.5 N/A DOHC motor for free. I'm guessing the headgaskets blew but I'm not sure. I want to get it drivable to use as a daily driver back and forth to school to eliminate my current car payment. Judging as its a free car I don't really want to put a whole lot of money into it. The cheapest I found a replacement 2.5 N/A DOHC motor for was over 1500 bucks. Thats not all that bad but still more than I'd like to spend. I was wondering if the 2.2 N/A SOHC motors would swap in without much hassle (wiring, etc.) because I can get those motors for a couple hundred bucks. I know the power and torque of the 2.5's is worth sticking with it, but the fear of it blowing another headgasket after I replace the motor is what has got me weary. I know first hand the strength and reliability of the 2.2's which is why I'm considering swapping down a grade.

So my question is will the 2.2 N/A motor swap into the Outback without having to cut and splice connectors, etc.?

My other option if that doesn't work is to just suck it up and buy a used low mileage 2.5 motor and have the headgaskets replaced with something stronger than OEM, like Cometic, before putting it in the car. This is the more expensive route but if its will be the easiest than I'm for it.

Any and all advice, input, guidance, etc. is much apreciated!!

Robbie
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by suby53; 01-30-2008 at 01:50 PM.
suby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

If properly repaired that engine shouldn't blow the head gasket again. There's just been a lot of improperly repaired ones out there that have made for a lot of false impressions about the true reliability of those engines. Shoddy mechanic work doesn't make the engine unreliable. This repair should not be done without milling the heads flat. That's the step many cheapo shops skip. Do it right and it will last.

Putting an Ej22 into your car will cause problems. It will overfuel with the smaller displacement. It will run ok. But it will get crap for gas mileage and may be too rich to pass emissions...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Ya I had a feeling the smaller motor would drown in the 2.5's fuel.

I don't really want to try and rebuild the motor that is in there because I don't know how severe the damage is to the cylinder walls, valves, etc. So I'm pretty set on just finding a new/used one to put in there. A local shop here in Salt Lake gave me the quote for $1450 with a 6 month/unlimited mileage warantee. They say the motors they sell have between 20-40k miles. I like the idea of the motor having the warantee in case anything happens to it, and that it is from a company I'd assume it has been compression checked and leak down tested prior to sale so that would be a nice piece of mind. I will talk to them about weather or not they test the motors before I'll buy one.

Do you think one of these motors would last a long time if driven nicely and well maintaned (synthetic fluids, new plugs & wires, etc.)?

I just don't want it to blow up while its my only car and leave me without a car with class and work everyday!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

They are just buying a takeout motor from one of the many Japanese importers out in California or down in Texas. They all say the motors have the same mileage and they all have the same 6 month warranty. It's really no different than the WRX swaps that so many of us buy. It's a crapshoot. 90% of the time you are fine. I've bought close to a dozen JDM engines at this point in my life and never had a bad one...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Well thats good to hear! I think I'll just get the new/used motor and try and sell the heads off the old block if they aren't trashed. Thanks Matt!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Who is doing the work, if I might ask? There's a handful of members here affiliated with reputible shops if you want a second opinion. Just post up in the RMIC forum and ask for referrels...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

I will be doing the work. I have pulled and swapped the motor in my 95' Impreza a few times so I don't think a simple straight over swap will be too hard. I will definitly post my project in the RMIC forum and see if anyone would like to lend a hand!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Bump for new DOHC EJ25 to SOHC EJ25 swap question!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

The intake manifold won't bolt onto the SOHC motor. The ECU will run it, but you'll have to make a couple small changes. The wiring harness from the DOHC motor should be transferred to the SOHC motor and try to use as many of the additional sensors from the DOHC motor instead of the SOHC sensors. Your DOHC motor had an EGR system which the SOHC doesn't have, so you will get a CEL light for it (unless you just hook up the solenoid and bolt it out of the way). The cam sensor plug will probably need extended slightly to reach the different position of the SOHC.

Outside of that, and maybe a harness plug here and there, it should run fine.

Holler back if you neead any more info.
Jay Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by suby53
Edit: Ok I have a new question at hand but didn't want to start a new thread. Would the ECU/wiring/intake manifold from my DOHC motor bolt onto and run a SOHC 2.5L engine? I know the SOHC's are better motors thats why I'm wondering. But if the blocks are pretty much the same and it will bolt in I think that'd be a better idea than another DOHC. Please chime in with opinions/advice! Thanks!
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
suby53
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
97' Legacy Outback

Awesome thanks Jay! I figured a few things would need to be swapped over and changed around. As of now I think I am going to pull the stock motor apart and if it is not torn up and the cylinder walls, heads, valves, etc. are still in good shape then I am probably going to rebuild it. Maybe go with a thinner Cometic Copper head gasket and have the heads milled for some higher compression with new valve guide seals, valve grind job, piston rings, bearings and seals. It all depends on how the motor looks. I'm pulling it apart this weekend and I'll post some pics of it.