Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Cold Start Issue 08 Impreza 2.5i

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought an 08 Impreza and I love the car to death. However, there seems to be an issue with the car when I cold start it. I live in northern california and on a few occasions there has been a strange issue with the car starting in the morning. I put the key in, turn it just enough to let the gauges do their thing and let the fuel pump prime. When I turn it further to start, you hear the car try to start, then suddenly theres a loud clunk and all it quiet. I still contiune to hold the key in the turned start position, and the car trys to start again and does.

Does anyone know what that clunking sound could be?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
drumaboi628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 152978
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Default

i say bring it back to the dealer cause its still under warranty and also its waaaaaay to early to start having problems...

and to answer your question, no i dont know what is wrong...

i live in chicago with like 10 degrees and it still starts fine...
drumaboi628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

I have no idea, but def bring it in to the dealer. Obligatory...make sure all your fluids are at their proper levels.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
mopartodd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164929
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Outback
Satin White

Default

Maybe your having an issue with the starter or interlock relay. Take it back to the dealer.
mopartodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i,'65 Stang
'80 Vette L82,'73 914 2.0

Default

Bring it to the dealer. Any problems should be covered under warranty.

I live in Denver and it was -3 deg F this morning and it started with no problems.
subyski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

I guess I'll bring it in. I just don't have another car to drive.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
piker28
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22664
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: north nj
Default

for the issue your having make sure you leave it there overnight so the car will be nice and cold when they try to start it
piker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
EvoSpeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155430
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Vehicle:
2008 Nissan
SE-R Spec V

Default

Not normal i live in norcal and my 07 has no issues.
EvoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
drumaboi628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 152978
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
I guess I'll bring it in. I just don't have another car to drive.
oh you dont have to worry about that...if they said they need you to leave the car over night, they should give you a rental with no cost or what so ever.
drumaboi628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
piker28
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22664
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: north nj
Default

^^and what makes you so sure on that? Because i know for a fact the dealer i work at would not unless it is warranty work even still they might not if you dont tell them you want one
piker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
drumaboi628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 152978
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
^^and what makes you so sure on that? Because i know for a fact the dealer i work at would not unless it is warranty work even still they might not if you dont tell them you want one
oh im only speaking from experience....bought it in a couple times and they offered me a rental since it will take more than 3 hours...

but yea, i guess it might be different since its not the same dealer...

GOOD LUCK!
drumaboi628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

Made an appointment to drop it off this friday and let them try to reproduce the problem saturday morning. Heres to hoping that the problem gets fixed and it doesn't take very long.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
RaceFaceXC
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 165749
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: stupid Florida
Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

Default

good luck.. curious to know what they find out.
RaceFaceXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

Car didn't do it while it was at the dealership. It was cold and rainy all week, and did it several times in the morning, but the one day they had to the car to start it, no rain. Wasn't as cold as it usually was when I get around at 8 am to start it. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens more often she'll go to the dealer again.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
HondaH8er
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3097
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: www.rs25.com Beaverton, OR
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus ST
Performance Blue

Default

Do you have a camcorder? Maybe try to get it on video and show it to them.
HondaH8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #16
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
^^and what makes you so sure on that? Because i know for a fact the dealer i work at would not unless it is warranty work even still they might not if you dont tell them you want one
Wow.. I thought the dealership in my town was bad.. but at least they'll give you a loaner.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #17
piker28
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22664
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: north nj
Default

^well its a cash money business if you give everything away for free where is the money to be made? And yes although we have a large amount of cars to rent out, its not like its enough to cover even half the work that comes in on one day
piker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
pleiadi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158257
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.0R
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
I put the key in, turn it just enough to let the gauges do their thing and let the fuel pump prime.

Try to put the key in and turn it to the start position immediately.
pleiadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
rhinh25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 148146
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
Hey Everyone,
When I turn it further to start, you hear the car try to start, then suddenly theres a loud clunk and all it quiet.

Does anyone know what that clunking sound could be?
when you say a "loud clunk", do you mean like a tin-can noise that was crushed by a hand, then released? that type of noise?

and when you were sitting in your car, did the noise come from the arm rest of your car (right by the e-brake)?

because ive had that same problem, but the only difference is that i never brought it in to the dealership, it just never showed again.... just sharing my experience.
rhinh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #20
joker75
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 168516
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
2008 Imprexa 2.5i
Spark silver

Default

Thanks for jinxing me. The same night I read this me 08 impreza 2.5i did a similar thing. I started cranking it and it took a little longer than usual, then it made a loud noise and stopped cranking. I cranked it over again and it fired up fine.

After I got it started I realized that the sound was almost like one cylinder fired and the ECU thaught it was started and quit cranking, but the engine did not have enough momentum to continue rotating.
joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinh25 View Post
when you say a "loud clunk", do you mean like a tin-can noise that was crushed by a hand, then released? that type of noise?

and when you were sitting in your car, did the noise come from the arm rest of your car (right by the e-brake)?

because ive had that same problem, but the only difference is that i never brought it in to the dealership, it just never showed again.... just sharing my experience.
Sounded like it was coming from the engine, as for the type of sound you describe it pretty well.

Its good to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Since we are on the topic of problems, I have another one. On some occasions when I start the, it sounds like the starter whines. Almost as if I hold the key in the start position too long. I told this to the dealership they say its normal when you in defrost mode or the ac is on. However it happened this morning and none of those were on. Anyone else experience this?
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #22
EvoSpeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155430
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Vehicle:
2008 Nissan
SE-R Spec V

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
Since we are on the topic of problems, I have another one. On some occasions when I start the, it sounds like the starter whines. Almost as if I hold the key in the start position too long. I told this to the dealership they say its normal when you in defrost mode or the ac is on. However it happened this morning and none of those were on. Anyone else experience this?
This is normal, it happens to my car in morning. Its not a nasty whine, more like a "whirr" for a second or two after cold start.
EvoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Boggie1688
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 165955
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe the starter was going out already, or that I was holding the ignition for too long.
Boggie1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a Catback for an 08 WRX fit on an 08 Impreza 2.5i? StickyBrokeConfused Newbies & FAQs 5 12-05-2013 11:33 AM
08 Impreza 2.5i 5-speed Throttle Hang Fix? rick92008 Newbies & FAQs 15 04-17-2008 12:34 PM
08 Impreza 2.5i or 08 SI? jtom12 Impreza Forum 8 02-05-2008 06:03 PM
08 Impreza 2.5i ? 240c Normally Aspirated Powertrain 106 01-11-2008 02:10 PM
08 Impreza/2.5i Endlinks are out from Goup A! PATR1KI Brakes, Steering & Suspension 1 12-13-2007 02:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.