Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #1501
Blazin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91328
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM/Brake dust

Default

Help!

7 channel Receiver
3+ HDMI In
Appropriate PRE-OUTS -- I'd like the ability to add some Emotiva gear in the future to power my big speakers (200w+ @ 8ohms)

Pretty simple, because as I've found to get those features you'll be looking in a price minimum of $400

I've looked at

Yamaha RX-V663 -- $399 JR (with a call in ) -- Great equipment, everyone knows but only 2 HDMI.. may not be an issue, but if I'm trying to future proof.. this really doesn't cut it
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K -- $429 JR -- Meh on pioneer, relabled elite series without THX, 3 HDMI, decent price:feature ratio
Marantz SR4003 -- $549 Crutchfield
Onkyo TX-SR806 -- $635 Amazon -- This is a great deal seeing as it's MSRP is $999 Future proof like crazy, 5 HDMI, 130W x 7, rated down to 4ohms, 10 Preamps including Zone 2

Denon - great stuff, too bad they don't offer preouts on anything less than $1000

So is there any option I'm missing, and what do you guys think?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #1502
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2011 GR-STI
& 2014 Legacy Ltd.

Default

Blazin,

My friend just picked up a new Marantz SR5003 shipped to his door for ~$600.00 It's a great receiver and adds Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. PM me and I'll let you know where he got it from.
jay25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #1503
punkrocksailor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43376
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Honestly, I'd get the Yamaha, I have the 863 and love it. Yamaha's almost always have the best sound and really easy menus. You really shouldn't be using too many HDMI's to the receiver and then up to the tv anyway. Anytime a signal has to be transferred it loses quality, I'll admit, HDMI is cool and I use it for some things but having just the audio going to the receiver and just the video going to the monitor/tv is by far the better way to go. The inputs make it a bit of a hassle but you get a Harmony One remote and you'll have no problems at all.
punkrocksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #1504
Blazin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91328
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM/Brake dust

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksailor View Post
Honestly, I'd get the Yamaha, I have the 863 and love it. Yamaha's almost always have the best sound and really easy menus. You really shouldn't be using too many HDMI's to the receiver and then up to the tv anyway. Anytime a signal has to be transferred it loses quality, I'll admit, HDMI is cool and I use it for some things but having just the audio going to the receiver and just the video going to the monitor/tv is by far the better way to go. The inputs make it a bit of a hassle but you get a Harmony One remote and you'll have no problems at all.
This really is a good point.. Everything I've read I can't find complaints about the Yamaha..

Everything else is kind of questionable..
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #1505
punkrocksailor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43376
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Default

personally I don't really understand all the 8 million HDMI inputs things are coming with nowadays, my Pioneer plasma has 5!!!! I'd prefer to have more Component as I use that to the video and optical or other digital to the receiver, but I guess some people must love it.
punkrocksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #1506
MrMcCrackin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89202
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: McCrackin Plumbing
Vehicle:
I'm # 1 when it
comes to # 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksailor View Post
personally I don't really understand all the 8 million HDMI inputs things are coming with nowadays, my Pioneer plasma has 5!!!! I'd prefer to have more Component as I use that to the video and optical or other digital to the receiver, but I guess some people must love it.
as long as its not HDMI pass through - its the best way to keep everything digital in a single cable
MrMcCrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #1507
jay25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4273
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2011 GR-STI
& 2014 Legacy Ltd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksailor View Post
You really shouldn't be using too many HDMI's to the receiver and then up to the tv anyway. Anytime a signal has to be transferred it loses quality,
If you want Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO you need to use HDMI and yes it is a night and day difference between previous formats.
jay25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1508
mac35
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25284
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: No. CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksailor View Post
personally I don't really understand all the 8 million HDMI inputs things are coming with nowadays, my Pioneer plasma has 5!!!! I'd prefer to have more Component as I use that to the video and optical or other digital to the receiver, but I guess some people must love it.
So you prefer to use a medium for audio cabling that can't carry the HD audio formats? OK, terrific.
mac35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #1509
punkrocksailor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43376
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Default

There are really three levels to consider and in short, Analog cables (more than two obviously), can carry the HD audio formats.

1. DD and DTS on DVD DD5.1 is limited to 448 kbps bitrates and is often encoded at less than that. DTS is limited to 1.5 mbps, but usually gets encoded at 754 or 768 kbps. The lower bit rates are used to save space.

2. DD and DTS on BD Lossless codecs cannot be sent over optical and coax connections. BD players output companion DD and core DTS tracks over those connections. But, the larger Blu-ray disc size means these legacy codecs can use higher bit rates. DD is usually done at 640 kbps and DTS at 1.5 mbps. Higher bit rates mean less data is discarded in the lossy compression process, resulting in better sound at the end. Any player and receiver will give you the higher bit rate versions of legacy DD and DTS.

3. Lossless HDMI and multichannel analog support lossless audio.

Personally, I find a significant quality improvement going from the first level to the second. There's a wow factor with that change. The improvement going from the second to third level is much more subtle. I think lossless tends to be a bit clearer and more detailed. But, I don't know that I could pick out the lossless tracks consistently in a blind test.
punkrocksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #1510
thesmokingman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17751
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want to believe...
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
944 Turbo track

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay25RS View Post
If you want Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO you need to use HDMI and yes it is a night and day difference between previous formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac35 View Post
So you prefer to use a medium for audio cabling that can't carry the HD audio formats? OK, terrific.

Yea, I was ugh facepalm over here too.
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #1511
punkrocksailor
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43376
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Personally I can only think of 2-3 inputs that truly need HDMI or 5.1-7.1 analog:

Bluray
High end gaming (360, PS3, PC)
and SACD or similar

I don't think cable/sat is needed as they compress everything and do not use the latest audio.

I wasn't saying I didn't like HDMI, as I use it and am fond of it. I was just stating that it's getting to be the ONLY thing people care about and for many applications don't "need".
punkrocksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #1512
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocksailor View Post
personally I don't really understand all the 8 million HDMI inputs things are coming with nowadays, my Pioneer plasma has 5!!!! I'd prefer to have more Component as I use that to the video and optical or other digital to the receiver, but I guess some people must love it.
because optical is a dinosaur... it can't pass the newest audio codecs...

component is decent for video, but it's tougher and tougher to deal with trueHD, dts hd ma, and uncompressed w/o hdmi...

it's the wave of the future... might as well deal with it...
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #1513
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

FYI, to those looking for a receiver... many good Onkyos available for a killer price on accessories4less.com
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #1514
nicad
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 33971
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin View Post
Soooo looking to power my DIY speakers a little more efficiently.. I think I'm going to pick up a Emotiva UPA-2 amp to power them, or in the future some other front floorstanders what would you call my nominal impedance? I've been saying 8, my receiver has ratings down to 3, so I figure either way I'm safe but what's your take?

does your receiver/source device have preamp outputs? If so try picking up a behringer A500.

what DIY speaker design did you build? I'm about to start building my statement monitors from htguide

also just got off the phone with Kevin @ exodus audio. ordering my malestrom-x this week

sub for reference: 18" driver with 33mm of linear Xmax

nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #1515
tritech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124747
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco
Default

bit of an update for my theater build.

Screen and projector are up and all components are mounted in the rack. Fabric for the walls should be in within 2-3 days, along with the rest of the acoustic materials.

It looks amazing! So glad I spent a bit more on the RS2.





thats my dyson in the lower right for size reference.






tritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #1516
NJSwamplands
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97227
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NJBumplands™
Default

looks great
NJSwamplands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #1517
Blazin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91328
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM/Brake dust

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicad View Post
does your receiver/source device have preamp outputs? If so try picking up a behringer A500.

what DIY speaker design did you build? I'm about to start building my statement monitors from htguide

also just got off the phone with Kevin @ exodus audio. ordering my malestrom-x this week

sub for reference: 18" driver with 33mm of linear Xmax

I built my design DIY speakers.. its available on HTguide, it was my senior capstone project last year.. may not be the prettiest beasts, but they are loud and sound pretty good :P

Search: "Chimera"
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #1518
DHGurs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187414
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pembroke, NH
Vehicle:
89 3 25ix/90 325i/10
STi SE/13 Legacy 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritech View Post
nastytheater.gif
That looks awesome. Congrats on doing it right with a nice screen. I can honestly say I have never seen a rack mounted Wii!
DHGurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1519
Blazin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91328
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM/Brake dust

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicad View Post
does your receiver/source device have preamp outputs? If so try picking up a behringer A500.
THat's a great deal

230w x 2 @ 4 ohms
160w x 2 @ 8 ohms
$199

I'm holding out for a while though.. saving the money and doing things right for a home theater..

I know one thing I'm craving now is an Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB projector

My roommate and I are going seperate ways next month and he's buying all my old equipment off me for a steal..

Onkyo HTIB HT-S790 - 7.1, 110wx7, 230w powered sub
Toshiba 65hm167 - 65" 1080p DLP
Toshiba SD-5000 - Upconverting 1080i DVD player

So I'm taking that money and growing it for my new equipment in a year and a half or so
Blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #1520
JDM5LugHatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1312
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA
Vehicle:
'06 Integra Type S
Magnesium

Default

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the DVD player from turning on when I switch to DVD on my Onkyo 606? Reason being I have my PS2 (yeah I know old skool and I don't feel the need to drop the coin on a PS3 at this time besides I have a Wii which gets more use) hooked up to the component ports for DVD and the Wii is hooked up to Cable I believe it is. So if I want to play the PS2 and switch to DVD the DVD player automatically turns on and which requires me to turn it off as the HDMI from the DVD overrides the PS2 component input. The DVD player is a Sony Upconvert if matters.

The speakers finally came in today as well. I went with 2 pairs of Energy C-100's that I picked up off of woot and after doing a lot of research they seemed to be what I am looking for. So I will try to get them hooked up tonight. However, I am still waiting/hoping for woot to put the C-C100 center channel up for sale again as it seems to be pretty damn hard to find and more expensive than what they had it for. That and waiting on a new base from OmniMount for my Gemini 2 stands I picked up at Circuit City the other night for 30% off. The base plate on one of the stands was larger than the other 3 and the cover/beauty plates don't fit.

Any other advice for setting up the Onkyo to perform at optimum levels would be more than appreciated as well. So far I am enjoying the Onkyo and new TV and hopefully the speakers.
JDM5LugHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #1521
EJS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85756
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX SRR on Gold
2011 Tundra DC RW

Default

My 2pair of C-100s should come today too. And now Im eyeing these... http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...-iq7-black-ash

I just need to upgrade to a 7.1 now
EJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #1522
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM5LugHatch View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the DVD player from turning on when I switch to DVD on my Onkyo 606? Reason being I have my PS2 (yeah I know old skool and I don't feel the need to drop the coin on a PS3 at this time besides I have a Wii which gets more use) hooked up to the component ports for DVD and the Wii is hooked up to Cable I believe it is. So if I want to play the PS2 and switch to DVD the DVD player automatically turns on and which requires me to turn it off as the HDMI from the DVD overrides the PS2 component input. The DVD player is a Sony Upconvert if matters.

The speakers finally came in today as well. I went with 2 pairs of Energy C-100's that I picked up off of woot and after doing a lot of research they seemed to be what I am looking for. So I will try to get them hooked up tonight. However, I am still waiting/hoping for woot to put the C-C100 center channel up for sale again as it seems to be pretty damn hard to find and more expensive than what they had it for. That and waiting on a new base from OmniMount for my Gemini 2 stands I picked up at Circuit City the other night for 30% off. The base plate on one of the stands was larger than the other 3 and the cover/beauty plates don't fit.

Any other advice for setting up the Onkyo to perform at optimum levels would be more than appreciated as well. So far I am enjoying the Onkyo and new TV and hopefully the speakers.
why on earth would your dvd player turn on when you switch to the dvd input? Mine does, but that's because of the harmony remote... something odd going on here...
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #1523
JDM5LugHatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1312
Join Date: Apr 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA
Vehicle:
'06 Integra Type S
Magnesium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
why on earth would your dvd player turn on when you switch to the dvd input? Mine does, but that's because of the harmony remote... something odd going on here...
If I knew I wouldn't be asking...
JDM5LugHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #1524
tritech
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 124747
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
why on earth would your dvd player turn on when you switch to the dvd input? Mine does, but that's because of the harmony remote... something odd going on here...

Some HDMI devices can be turned on when they sense a source changing to it. It should be an option on the dvd player to disable that. What model is it?

Have you looked into all the menus on the receiver?
tritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #1525
SkirtBoy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11056
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Vehicle:
2009 MB CLK 350 CPO
Black on Tan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
why on earth would your dvd player turn on when you switch to the dvd input? Mine does, but that's because of the harmony remote... something odd going on here...
Some sort of Wake on LAN function?
SkirtBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The official Post pics of your Home Audio/Video setup? V2.0 GRUMPY514 Off-Topic 74 07-30-2008 09:50 AM
VA: Home Audio/Video/Game AspenWhite Non-Subaru Stuff 5 03-06-2007 09:43 AM
WRX parts, home Audio/Video stuff, and more... NicFunkadelic NESIC Private Classifieds 6 02-15-2007 10:38 AM
Home audio/video wiring gurus, need a bit of help. trail*of*dead Off-Topic 16 12-23-2006 02:25 AM
Home audio/video goodies for sale! Tivo! Replay! Pronto! BiggSean Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 7 02-26-2006 11:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.