Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #26
SupersayianNeo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49804
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Matrix
Vehicle:
2222 WRXSpecV-Type-R
DICK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
slightly OT, BUT.

One of my BIGGEST peeves is how smokers are 'allowed' to litter. Why in gods name do we we allow people to throw cigarette butts on the ground, road, sidewalk, etc. Its a completely unacceptable behavior.

I'm all for entirely banning the sale, use, possession of tobacco products. It is for the benefit of even smokers themselves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_evo_jetta View Post
I ... TOTALLY agree!!!!
Try driving your convertable with top down when those mother ****ing **** suckers toss those filthy butts at you and your leather seats. ********/cum guzzling sobs....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SupersayianNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #27
Balantz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101457
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Czar of Sweet Dance
Moves

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeyd57 View Post
I have a question. Is cell-phone use banned in this state while driving also ? If not, it's a waste of effort. People have been smoking and driving since the car was invented. If the desired effect here is safety, then cell-phone use should be banned !

How many accidents have you seen where smoking was the cause of the accident ? Very few. If they are doing this for any reason other than safety, then it's an infringement of our rights !

And just for the record, I smoke, but I don't smoke in my STi.
Yes, it's banned. As is texting.

Personally, I'm all for this. Anything that makes it harder for people to smoke, and ESPECIALLY makes it harder for them to inflict second-hand smoke on their kids. It's a disgusting habit with no redeeming value whatsoever. I mean, with pot at least you get...you know...something. Besides lung cancer and nasty breath.
Balantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #28
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

While I'm against such BS as putting breathalyzers in cars, I don't think adults should be allowed to smoke around children in their vehicles, since the potential for long-term damage is there and much higher.
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #29
thopter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 54421
Join Date: Feb 2004
Vehicle:
94 Sprchrgd Miata

Default

Last year a local (Chicago) volunteer organization picked up 10,000 cigarette butts
PER HOUR while cleaning Lake Michigan beaches.

52 percent of all litter was smoking related, and discarded butts contain fun stuff like Cadmium, Lead, and Arsenic which can leach into the water and remain there for hundreds of years.

Perhaps a better alternative would be a law that forced smokers to eat their cigarette butts?
thopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #30
EnterTheDragon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6511
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West of the Atlantic
Default

if you smoke with kids in the car you deserve a fat fine for being a douchenozzle
EnterTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #31
registering
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89332
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2007 Miata
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
One of my BIGGEST peeves is how smokers are 'allowed' to litter. Why in gods name do we we allow people to throw cigarette butts on the ground, road, sidewalk, etc. Its a completely unacceptable behavior.
THANK YOU! Agree 100% I also hate driving with my top down and getting plastered with ashes everytime the dick in front of me decides to stick their cigarette out the window! (and yes, I go around them as soon as possible)
registering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #32
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtor
When are smokers going to get a lobby together?
Posterity. Anyone else find the irony in that statement?

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #33
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtor View Post
After that it'll be fatty foods. Police will start pulling over anyone with children in a car that just came out of a drive thru.
Don't fool yourself, this crap is already being set up.

Did you know Obama wants to (if elected president) send home report cards to parents if their children don't fit within a specified weight for their height?
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
Don't fool yourself, this crap is already being set up.

Did you know Obama wants to (if elected president) send home report cards to parents if their children don't fit within a specified weight for their height?
The parents are already apathetic to it anyways, so what good will that do?

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #35
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
The parents are already apathetic to it anyways, so what good will that do?

--kC
Apathy is no reason to excuse a government that wants to tell us how to live our lives and what is healthy and not healthy.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
Nico Flax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 109531
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ashburn Virginia
Vehicle:
2006 STI
2008 CBR1000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
Apathy is no reason to excuse a government that wants to tell us how to live our lives and what is healthy and not healthy.
That and also that their is no real way to just look at some magical chart and compare that to a weight of a kid and really scientifically say he/she is unhealthy. The BMI index is a joke and most people are obese or overweight according to that scale. Some people just still can't get it through their heads that some people are just bigger then others. Long as they eat right and get exercise they should be alright, no matter what they look like.
Nico Flax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #37
Nico Flax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 109531
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ashburn Virginia
Vehicle:
2006 STI
2008 CBR1000

Default

Also to those who are saying 'think of the children' or that it is 'everyones air'. Please try and find a conclusive report that shows that 2nd hand smoke is harmful and will cause cancer, etc. There is no such thing because the evidence a lot of people point to is tenuous at best. The thing that really opened the flood gates is a report by the EPA, and we all know how they work. And if that isn't enough a Federal Court reviewed study and said it provided no link between 2nd hand smoke and cancer, and that the EPA had intentionally cherry picked the results.

Now the littering stuff, complain all you want!
Nico Flax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #38
plunk10
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32342
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2004 :derp:

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersayianNeo View Post
Try driving your convertable with top down when those mother ****ing **** suckers toss those filthy butts at you and your leather seats. ********/cum guzzling sobs....
how many cigarettes have landed in your convertible hmmm?

probably zero.
plunk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #39
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 24654
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: saraseager.com
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
I'm almost libertarian, but I agree with this law. Provided that 2nd hand smoke is harmful, and there is evidence that it is, this law is protecting children who can't help themselves.
What's next, no smoking in your house if you have kids? No feeding them junk food?
Mike Wevrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #40
EnterTheDragon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6511
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West of the Atlantic
Default

can we agree that a house =! car?
EnterTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #41
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 24654
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: saraseager.com
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Default

^^No, not really. They are both personal space and as long as you follow the rules of the road you should be able to do whatever else you want in there (especially if it has nothing to do with driving safety)
Mike Wevrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #42
Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10852
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cleveland / UMD College Park
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
What's next, no smoking in your house if you have kids? No feeding them junk food?
This is a grey area. You should be able to smoke in your own home, but it's bad if you have kids.

Giving them junk food is slightly different, because you have to give them food of some sort. You're just giving the crap food. I don't think food intake should be regulated.

Smoking has no redeeming qualities for kids. You're just hurting them. There are laws that you have to take out the trash when you've got kids. You can't just fill up your house with garbage because it's unsanitary. Technically you should be able to fill up your hall with year-old banana peels if you want to since it's your home, but you can't because it's harmful to your children.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 AM   #43
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtor View Post
Why don't these bastards just come out and say it?

We want to ban smoking completely.

First it was "segregate smokers from non-smokers in private businesses", then it was "don't allow smoking inside most private businesses", then it was "don't allow people to smoke within 15 feet of a public building's entrance (because of the 3 seconds it could annoy people walking by), and now this.

When are smokers going to get a lobby together? You know after they get done with that group they're going to come after businesses that sell alcohol too. Your driver's license will get stamped when you have children and liquor stores will have to scan it and refuse to sell to you for concern of what it'll do to affect the child. After that it'll be fatty foods. Police will start pulling over anyone with children in a car that just came out of a drive thru.

You know what'd help alleviate the problem is removing the child guards on rear windows. If kids could open the back windows without restrictions they could get alot more fresh air into the car.

<end furious sarcasm>
Cool, have fun killing your kids!

Its a slippery slope I know. But I'm not offended by this. It's close quarters.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 AM   #44
Almost a Ghost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56155
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle:
2008 VW R32
Deep Blue

Default

I'm all for keeping smoking legal. Hell I think all cigarettes should be unfiltered and, if anything, more tar should be added. Hell, even double the amount of nicotine in them! No, I'm not a smoker, I'm just pro-Darwinism.
Almost a Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #45
Nico Flax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 109531
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ashburn Virginia
Vehicle:
2006 STI
2008 CBR1000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
Smoking has no redeeming qualities for kids. You're just hurting them. There are laws that you have to take out the trash when you've got kids. You can't just fill up your house with garbage because it's unsanitary. Technically you should be able to fill up your hall with year-old banana peels if you want to since it's your home, but you can't because it's harmful to your children.
Once again I have to say please show proof that 2nd hand smoke is bad. I know a lot of organizations such as American Cancer Ass., etc etc, say that, but their reports and projections are based on the original EPA report on 2nd hand smoke that was pretty much a lie, and a Federal Court agreed. Your right it probably has no redeeming qualities but it also has of yet to be proven to have negative qualities besides smelling bad.
Nico Flax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #46
Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10852
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cleveland / UMD College Park
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Flax View Post
Once again I have to say please show proof that 2nd hand smoke is bad. I know a lot of organizations such as American Cancer Ass., etc etc, say that, but their reports and projections are based on the original EPA report on 2nd hand smoke that was pretty much a lie, and a Federal Court agreed. Your right it probably has no redeeming qualities but it also has of yet to be proven to have negative qualities besides smelling bad.
I cannot find an article in a peer-reviewed journal because I am at home and not at school where I have free access to scientific journals. The best I can come up with is this:

http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/pubs/strsfs.html

Yes it is from the EPA, but it is apparently a rebuttal to your argument.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #47
phoenix96
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 14148
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT Ltd
2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Flax View Post
Once again I have to say please show proof that 2nd hand smoke is bad. I know a lot of organizations such as American Cancer Ass., etc etc, say that, but their reports and projections are based on the original EPA report on 2nd hand smoke that was pretty much a lie, and a Federal Court agreed. Your right it probably has no redeeming qualities but it also has of yet to be proven to have negative qualities besides smelling bad.


It's smoke. The same stuff that kills people in fires, plus extra chemicals from the cigarette. Is there really any question about it being bad?

http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2006pres/20060627.html

Yay, heart disease risk +25% to 30%, lung cancer +20% to 30%, nothing negative there at all.
But that's from the surgeon general, and we know he's been out to get those poor cigarettes for decades. Just another untrustworthy source along with the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, the World Health Organization/International Agency for Research on Cancer, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Heart Association, the EPA, etc.

Last edited by phoenix96; 02-01-2008 at 01:04 AM.
phoenix96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #48
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post


It's smoke. The same stuff that kills people in fires, plus extra chemicals from the cigarette. Is there really any question about it being bad?
Right, and do you see the concentration of smoke during a fire? Are similar levels present around smokers?

High concentrations of smoke from fires kill people due to lack of oxygen.

By your standards we should probably ban the use of fireplaces in the home, and campfires on camping trips if there are kids around.

My concern isn't smoking, I have two views of it, on the one hand, smokers do it to themselves, on the other hand, I think the government should come in on the _side of smokers_, my rationale for this is that smokers have to pay a tax to the govt for each cigarette they smoke, thus they pay more tax to the govt than you, however they are given less rights.

Our country was FOUNDED on taxation without representation, you tell me if that isn't happening to smokers? I see them being taxed more, but represented less.

Now, the only reason I care one iota about this topic is because what comes after the govt has killed smoking?

Fast cars?
Greasy food?

What is going to be next that is deemed to be the 'killer of everyone' that they have to regulate because of the premise that we are too stupid to take care of ourselves?

Could it be something you enjoy doing?

Do yourself a favor and join the fight now before they come after something you do enjoy, knowing that my freedom is intact (and will stay intact) is worth having to smell a cigarette in a restaurant while I'm eating.

The smell of people smoking = the smell of freedom!
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #49
Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10852
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Cleveland / UMD College Park
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

Default

The law isn't banning smoking, its banning smoking with children in the car. Why not have toxic chemicals spewed on the floor of your house if you kids are home? It's your house, you should be able to do as you please.

Banning smoking in bars is stupid because all the patrons and employees are making a choice to be at the bar. Children do not have the luxury of choosing which house they live in or the car that they ride in.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #50
Almost a Ghost
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 56155
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle:
2008 VW R32
Deep Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
Right, and do you see the concentration of smoke during a fire? Are similar levels present around smokers?

High concentrations of smoke from fires kill people due to lack of oxygen.
Dude. I can't believe how freaking ignorant you are. I mean it's freaking mind blowing how freaking ignorant you are.

Read up on smoke inhalation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_inhalation

Then again, what do I know about smoke inhalation. My lungs only got damaged in a house fire.
Almost a Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving to boston from washington state dirtydevils_89014 New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 20 09-09-2008 11:29 PM
Moveing out of state so i have to sell my cars. madmax03 Private Vehicle 'For Sale' Classifieds 0 06-07-2008 02:37 PM
News: Australia mulls car smoking ban Gil Off-Topic 108 02-28-2006 05:54 PM
Smoking Ban States?+ Hawkeye Off-Topic 105 01-19-2006 12:51 AM
OT: Washington state may become TWO states! RightyTighty North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 32 02-27-2005 05:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.