Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #101
wrxsti.l
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156973
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Vehicle:
2002 ADM WRX STi
STi Black/Blue

Default

I think my question got lost before, and sorry if this sounds like a broken record, but will this work with the Australian Domestic Market (AUDM) 2002 WRX STI 2.0L?

The definition is in the latest versions of both ecuflash and enginuity, so can I assume it would work?

If needed I can forward the AUDM 2002 STI ROM for patching - just let me know.

Cheers.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrxsti.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #102
Wheeler Bement
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15652
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sugar land, katy
Vehicle:
2002 2.5L WRX Wag.
160K club

Default

Question--why use mph with for LC? why not use engine load? I would think if you made it check engine load...then maybe you could also do the flat foot shifting just as easily?

Also, is the LC a fuel cut, ignition cut, somethingelsecut?
Wheeler Bement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #103
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Bement View Post
Question--why use mph with for LC? why not use engine load? I would think if you made it check engine load...then maybe you could also do the flat foot shifting just as easily?
ok, how about an actual algorithm if you think it is that easy? I will happily code it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Bement View Post
Also, is the LC a fuel cut, ignition cut, somethingelsecut?
in case you missed it, it is RTFM cut
http://tinywrex.wordpress.com/2008/0...-how-it-works/
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #104
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti.l View Post
The definition is in the latest versions of both ecuflash and enginuity, so can I assume it would work?
You cannot assume it would work based on that argument. The only way i can tell you for sure is when i disassemble the ROM, i have already AUDM STi in the works but send in your ROM as it might be a different revision
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #105
Wheeler Bement
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15652
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: sugar land, katy
Vehicle:
2002 2.5L WRX Wag.
160K club

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswrex View Post
ok, how about an actual algorithm if you think it is that easy? I will happily code it
easy there, didn't mean to step on any toes...just asking.

but sinced you asked, maybe somethign like this???
read engine load
if engine load > engine load threshold then
no adjustment to real RPM
else
adjust real RPM by RPM delta
pass control to rev limiter check (fuel cut)


maybe it isn't that simple, but I'm not a programmer, heck, I don't even know if it would work in realtiy. I have never logged a WOT throttle launch before. you may need a combo of load and speed for If/else statement.

Last edited by Wheeler Bement; 02-05-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Wheeler Bement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #106
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Bement View Post
easy there, didn't mean to step on any toes...just asking.
Dont worry i dont have any toes for you to step on
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #107
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Bement View Post
easy there, didn't mean to step on any toes...just asking.

but sinced you asked, maybe somethign like this???
read engine load
if engine load > engine load threshold then
no adjustment to real RPM
else
adjust real RPM by RPM delta
pass control to rev limiter check (fuel cut)


maybe it isn't that simple, but I'm not a programmer, heck, I don't even know if it would work in realtiy. I have never logged a WOT throttle launch before. you may need a combo of load and speed for If/else statement.
I will stop everything i am doing right now, code what you propose for your ROM but you have to promise that you will be the 1st to try it and record it on video. RIGHT NOW!
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #108
AruisDante
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122365
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
1999 BMW 330i ZHP
GSM

Default

Spare the guy, he hasn't thought about the fact that it would be trying to rev limit every time he let off the gas during normal driving.

FFS is really NOT something you want to implement in a system where you can't just turn it off.

Also, the correct way to implement it would be the following:

:Check Clutch Switch
:Check Speed
:If Clutch Switch = ON && Speed < Speed Threshhold
:Limit RPM to LC RPM
:If Clutch Switch = ON && Speed > Speed Threshold
:Limit RPM to FFS RPM
:If Clutch Switch = OFF
:Normal Rev Limit

Youl could remove the clutch switch requirement for the LC RPM if you wished, which would allow for the Vallet Mode functionality. Although while cool, who has the time (or a laptop handy) to flash a ROM before giving the car to a vallet?

Of course I don't know how to write it in assembly since i don't know what op-codes or registers the ECU has, nore what memory addresses it uses for the RPM limit or clutch switch values. I'm assuming since it's 16bit it uses at most the first 4 bits for the op-code, and that obviously it has brNZP op-code, but beyond that, I know nothing about programing the Subaru ECU in assembly.

Now, as for the Enginuity thing... Does it have the ability to actually look at sections of the ROM file upon loading a map? If it does, you just need to put something in the definition of the ROM files that he's written LC for that says when this version of the ROM is loaded, check at adress XXXX for some marker YYYY (probably a zero terminated string, since obiovusly there's filler data that he's writing over, otherwise you wouldn't get values for the LC stuff even when it's not patched)

Last edited by AruisDante; 02-05-2008 at 10:51 AM.
AruisDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #109
Rogan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142133
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia - hate it
Vehicle:
3 Jeeps
And a Saab

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswrex View Post
I am almost sure that this rom you flashed is not patched properly.
See the comparing of flash blocks? FB09-FB10 is the area of the maps and it seems that it is the only one that has a change (you changed the LC parameters) whereas one or more of FB01-FB08 should show a change as the code is changed!
Post a screenshot of TinyPatcher running and showing in the end "xx bytes patched"
Here ya go, xswrex

I just "repatched" the ROM. I'll try to reflash it, shortly, and get screenshots of that, too..

Unless it works this time and I will feel really stupid


Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #110
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
Spare the guy, he hasn't thought about the fact that it would be trying to rev limit every time he let off the gas during normal driving.

FFS is really NOT something you want to implement in a system where you can't just turn it off.

Also, the correct way to implement it would be the following:

:Check Clutch Switch
:Check Speed
:If Clutch Switch = ON && Speed < Speed Threshhold
:Limit RPM to LC RPM
:If Clutch Switch = ON && Speed > Speed Threshold
:Limit RPM to FFS RPM
:If Clutch Switch = OFF
:Normal Rev Limit

Youl could remove the clutch switch requirement for the LC RPM if you wished, which would allow for the Vallet Mode functionality. Although while cool, who has the time (or a laptop handy) to flash a ROM before giving the car to a vallet?

Of course I don't know how to write it in assembly since i don't know what op-codes or registers the ECU has, nore what memory addresses it uses for the RPM limit or clutch switch values. I'm assuming since it's 16bit it uses at most the first 4 bits for the op-code, and that obviously it has brNZP op-code, but beyond that, I know nothing about programing the Subaru ECU in assembly.

Now, as for the Enginuity thing... Does it have the ability to actually look at sections of the ROM file upon loading a map? If it does, you just need to put something in the definition of the ROM files that he's written LC for that says when this version of the ROM is loaded, check at adress XXXX for some marker YYYY (probably a zero terminated string, since obiovusly there's filler data that he's writing over, otherwise you wouldn't get values for the LC stuff even when it's not patched)
look now what you did! you spoiled all the fun, i almost had that video

Problem is that the clutch switch signal is not available in any of the roms i have disassembled and physically accessed so far.

You dont have to know assembly language or any language for that matter in order to produce pseudo code, proof is what you did above. Just a bit of logic and a bit of knowledge how things work. I wont go into details about subaru ecu opcodes and addressing, thats out of context here and lots of info is available on openecu.org. Anyone interested can grab a processor specific manual and read all about it.
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #111
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchslap View Post
Here ya go, xswrex

I just "repatched" the ROM. I'll try to reflash it, shortly, and get screenshots of that, too..

Unless it works this time and I will feel really stupid
Now, this is most certainly patched. Have a nice launch
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #112
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.8@150

Default

My buddy installed this last night and launched a few times. Works great on his USDM 02 WRX.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #113
AruisDante
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122365
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
1999 BMW 330i ZHP
GSM

Default

Mind linking me to the info? OpenECU isn't exactly the most orginized of information sources. I'd need the info for an 04 STi ECU. I'm also curious as to loop this check into the normal operation of the ECU.

Something you should REALLY state to people, because I bet someone will not think about it, is that your threshold for tuning off the rev limit (unelss you're doing it for a vallet mode) MUST be less then the speed that will be reached in 1st gear at the LC rev limit. Otherwise, you'll never turn off the LC limit.
AruisDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #114
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
Mind linking me to the info? OpenECU isn't exactly the most orginized of information sources. I'd need the info for an 04 STi ECU. I'm also curious as to loop this check into the normal operation of the ECU.
you wish it would be that easy.There is no specific info for 04 sti or any other model

processors http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=5
map structures http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=503

have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
Something you should REALLY state to people, because I bet someone will not think about it, is that your threshold for tuning off the rev limit (unelss you're doing it for a vallet mode) MUST be less then the speed that will be reached in 1st gear at the LC rev limit. Otherwise, you'll never turn off the LC limit.
i believe the instructions i provide are clear enough
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #115
AruisDante
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122365
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Worcester, MA
Vehicle:
1999 BMW 330i ZHP
GSM

Default

I didn't mean to sound pushy, I just thought it might be a good warning to put in somewhere to save you from people saying "Why is the launch control limit not turning off" when they set the delta RPM to something above 3200RPM and a threshhold above 20MPH (why they'd set a threshold that high, I don't know, but hey, you never know how stupid people can be).

As for the ECU info... according to that thread, the '04 STi has a 32bit ECU, but I thought they didn't switch to 32bit till 07?
AruisDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #116
Rogan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142133
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia - hate it
Vehicle:
3 Jeeps
And a Saab

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rexwagon View Post
My buddy installed this last night and launched a few times. Works great on his USDM 02 WRX.
yeah, i got it to work, finally.. several issues were due to Administrative privs in Vista..
Also, I was on 1.30 ECUFlash. updated to 1.34 The added LC functions are blue. All others are black.

At any rate, I set the rpm delta to 3000 (7100 limiter) and 5mph in the speed entry.

~4000 she started limiting, built about 8psi (GT32/55 turbo) in about 3-4sec., and feathered the clutch out, just to keep from blowing my 5spd trans out of the car, and she rolled out a tad then went straight to 7k..

Thanks!
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #117
Benchmark Tuning
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 154444
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 9120 Medill Ave
Vehicle:
2008 08 STi, Typhoon
06 STi, 847-960-8676

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
I didn't mean to sound pushy, I just thought it might be a good warning to put in somewhere to save you from people saying "Why is the launch control limit not turning off" when they set the delta RPM to something above 3200RPM and a threshhold above 20MPH (why they'd set a threshold that high, I don't know, but hey, you never know how stupid people can be).

As for the ECU info... according to that thread, the '04 STi has a 32bit ECU, but I thought they didn't switch to 32bit till 07?
no.. 32 bit came out for the sti in 04-07 and for the wrx in 06-07, then 08 is now CANbus for imprezas as well as 07-08 legacys
Benchmark Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #118
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.8@150

Default

I think everyone who uses this should consider giving the guy a donation. We've all been waiting for some time for someone to develop it.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #119
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
I didn't mean to sound pushy, I just thought it might be a good warning to put in somewhere to save you from people saying "Why is the launch control limit not turning off" when they set the delta RPM to something above 3200RPM and a threshhold above 20MPH (why they'd set a threshold that high, I don't know, but hey, you never know how stupid people can be).
i hear you... but i wont be a judge in the Darwin Awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AruisDante View Post
As for the ECU info... according to that thread, the '04 STi has a 32bit ECU, but I thought they didn't switch to 32bit till 07?
its a mixed thing but it certainly before 07
USDM 04->
EDM-late 05?06->
JDM sames as EDM?
ADM??
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #120
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchslap View Post
yeah, i got it to work, finally.. several issues were due to Administrative privs in Vista..
Also, I was on 1.30 ECUFlash. updated to 1.34 The added LC functions are blue. All others are black.

At any rate, I set the rpm delta to 3000 (7100 limiter) and 5mph in the speed entry.

~4000 she started limiting, built about 8psi (GT32/55 turbo) in about 3-4sec., and feathered the clutch out, just to keep from blowing my 5spd trans out of the car, and she rolled out a tad then went straight to 7k..

Thanks!
yabadabadoo! Dont mean to jinx it but you have a GT32 with a 5spd transmission and it is still alive?
I blew my tranny to pieces with an APS SR55
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #121
Rogan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 142133
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia - hate it
Vehicle:
3 Jeeps
And a Saab

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswrex View Post
yabadabadoo! Dont mean to jinx it but you have a GT32 with a 5spd transmission and it is still alive?
I blew my tranny to pieces with an APS SR55
LOL There's more than just a GT32.. 2.5L, 9.5:1, cromoly rods, rotated 2.5", 46mm ewg, modded injectors, tgv deletes, aeromotive fuel rails, walbro, it goes on and on..

Believe me, I try to be as nice as possible to the trans, 99.9% of the time. but i know that .1% will bite my laurels soon..

/threadjack
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #122
turboge
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35076
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin/Round Rock
Vehicle:
2004 507whp Wagon
Silver

Default

Quick question, is the default for the two limits set to 0 (disabled) or is it another value?
turboge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #123
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboge View Post
Quick question, is the default for the two limits set to 0 (disabled) or is it another value?
Default when you patch a rom is 0 (which means features disabled)
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #124
turboge
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35076
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Austin/Round Rock
Vehicle:
2004 507whp Wagon
Silver

Default

Thanks Tiny. Did you need me to send over some stock 32-bit roms as well?
turboge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #125
xswrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 87255
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greece
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
given up emptying PMs...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboge View Post
Thanks Tiny. Did you need me to send over some stock 32-bit roms as well?
yeah sure
xswrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Launch Control on 2004 WRX Doomsti AccessPort 18 11-16-2012 04:16 PM
Launch Control on 32bit ECU Nuke209 Open Source Reflashes 126 05-17-2008 11:49 AM
Help with wiring in launch control on an 05 WRX. Sir Wagon UTEC 2 03-07-2008 05:45 PM
Failed NY state Inspection because of Launch Control on UTEC? vipernj Engine Management & Tuning 2 01-24-2006 07:10 PM
utec remote switch launch control on 4eat topgrinder Engine Management & Tuning 1 03-27-2003 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.