Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
66Mope
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151927
Vehicle:
1966 Satellite
Yellow

Default looking at a 2002 Legacy this weekend--what should I look out for?

It's an automatic wagon with 80k miles. Anything I need to look out for? Sounds like the head gasket thing is still an issue for some 2002 Legacys but Subaru "fixed" the problem half-way through the year or something? Will the VIN be useful in telling if this one is exempt? Or should I not even consider cars with this engine?

"Certain 1999 through 2002 2.5L equipped vehicles may experience an external coolant leak at the head gaskets. As a precautionary measure, SOA is adding a special conditioner to the engine cooling system. This conditioner prevents leaks from occurring and corrects existing leaks.
Only early Phase II 2.5 liter engines are affected. Phase I 2.5 liter engines (some 1999 model year and prior years) are not affected. Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those 2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles."

http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I just want a safe, reliable AWD family hauler and this is my first time looking at Subaru. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
66Mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Dobbs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28291
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Tuning Subarus in RMIC

drive more than one... that will make any specific problems very obvious
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
66Mope
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151927
Vehicle:
1966 Satellite
Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
drive more than one... that will make any specific problems very obvious
I'm not too worried about the test drive part. I'm wondering if there are specific things to look for on this generation of Legacy, and how worried I should be about this head gasket issue on a 2002.
66Mope is offline   Reply With Quote