Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 7, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
opious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57718
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
99 Impreza OBS WGN
Silver now w/ 20mm rear!P

Exclamation I used to pull a P420 cel... but now i pull TWO!!!???

here's my situation:
THEN - I had a california emissions ej22 with a spun bearing or something and it burned through oil faster than anything i've ever seen (up to a quart every 150 miles). I pulled a p420 code every now and again after the engine was forced to accelerate under more strain or higher in rpms than usual, but i'd just clear it and it wouldn't come back for a few months.

NOW - I've replaced the ej22 with a same-year ej25 with 60k on it (running the cal-em ej22 intake manifold, sensors, and ecu, etc...). I did not replace the O2 sensor because when i had the exhaust manifold off i looked inside and the sensor looked fine. no carbon buildup i could see at all! Anyways, i was going into the holland tunnel and i felt my car bog down a little bit so i looked down at my dashboard a second or two before my check engine light came on. As soon as i got out of the tunnel i pulled over and plugged in my pocket cel reader that i keep under the seat (thank you advanced autoparts for having a bomb-ass sale!) and it came back with "2 CODES". i selected "read" and it gave me a P420. i hit down to see the next one and it spit out P420 again with a little symbol next to it that i don't recognize. i don't have the manual for my cel reader so i can't look it up. any ideas about the symbol or my problem? i know the rear o2 sensor doesn't usually affect the performance of the car so i don't know why it would bog down right before throwing TWO p420s at me!
opious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
ejicon
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2452
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
08 2.5 WRX
WRB Mica

I'm pretty sure it's not your second O2 sensor but your first one connected to the headers. Are you running stock headers or EL headers? I have Cobb headers on my car and have been shooting both these codes since day one. Since your car may not be modified, I'm guessing that bump just upsetted your 02 sensor. I've been told that the code can also be caused by 1: a bad O2 sensor or 2: a bad Cat. These codes will shoot when ever you're running pipes that provide a large amount of cooling. Cat's don't like too much coolness and they really don't like too much heat.: I've had the P420 code with the little symbol... looks like a 2. But I can't remember what this is for. Hope this helps out.

P.S. I would recommend clearing the code and wait a couple hundred miles to see if it comes back. If it does, check one of the above (1 or 2)
ejicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
opious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57718
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
99 Impreza OBS WGN
Silver now w/ 20mm rear!P

i forgot to include in my first post, but that is exactly what happened. going into the holland tunnel was the first time i got both p420 and it's p420 friend with the 2ish symbol. i just got it again out of nowhere on my way back to Woodstock to vote in the primary on tuesday. checked it out and it was the same thing. i have stock headers on it unfortunately (couldn't afford it then, and can't afford anything now). do you mean my map sensor? i thought the code i got was 2nd o2 sensor only. i suppose i could very well have a bad cat with the amount of oil the old engine was burning.
opious is offline   Reply With Quote