Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
potsy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139431
Default help with 97 obs

Got in the car, mind you it's about 5 degrees outside if that even matters, but yes this is only my second subaru. Speedo and Odometer are not working, i'm like no big deal. Check engine comes on, i am like great. Get on the freeway and can't go any higher than 4500 rpm, sometype of limiter kicks in. The car is 100% stock, and i haven't had a chance to scan the car due to the time and weather outside. Tomorrow, i can. But does anyone have any idea if the problem is solely one problem or possibly multiple. Haven't had any problems with the car until about 15 minutes ago. Thanx--
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
potsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

No speedo= CEL and "limp mode" where the engine will not rev past 4-4500rpm. The cold weather is effecting the electrics. See if you can get the car into a warmer environment for a few hours and check to see if the problem persists.

Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
potsy
Scooby Newbie

Sounds good. I am hoping for the speed sensor to be unplugged or inop on the trans,, does this sound feasible?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Mighta got moisture in the connector somehow and then froze.......

It's tough to troubleshoot this kind of stuff. WD40 is good for getting & keeping the moisture out.

Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
potsy
Scooby Newbie

Thanx man,, by the way where in ohio you from? I'm in youngstown. Take it easy.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
johnny p
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141232
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
95 wrx
kinda blue

Your speed sensor is in your gauge cluster.
johnny p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
potsy
Scooby Newbie

Yeah found that out yesterday checking it out at work. Cable driven trans to speedo,, from speedo to ecu. cable was good speedo was good,, the coupler with shaft going to the trans, that i had unscrewed was broke. the bushing seized,, after 206,000 miles,, not bad. Cleared codes, i can rev,, and we have some snow today, can't wait, to drive. Thanx for your help
Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Kansei
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173080
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.0 GT
Forest Green Metallic

If you guys dont mind telling me, I think youre talking about a legacy here, but I dont know... if you are, I've been having some trouble like that but I think that there are two VSS's, at least thats what the book says. but if you could help me identify where the VSS I need to check is and how easy it would be to look at, that would be great. And I'm not to entirely automotive inclined, but I know enough for a 17 year-old
Kansei is offline   Reply With Quote