Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-11-2002, 08:52 AM   #1
PaulN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 566
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy GTB
Green

Smile Auto to Manual conversion successful!

Hi

As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I have just attempted to convert my automatic Legacy GTB to a manual conversion - It worked.

I did all the work myself and it cost 950 ($1400). The transfer box on my GTB was binding so it was like driving with the centre diff locked solid

Now after a week of skinned knuckles and lying in puddles (I can't fit the car in the garage and its rained a lot in the UK this week)

Problems:

One of the torque converter bolts was rounded off and so after removing the autobox I had to attack the TC from behind with an angle grinder!!

Are the downpipes different on the manual - The downpipes and particularly the brackets are hard up against the gearbox mounting - makes a nasty vibration inside the car at low speed. (should be cured by the new scoobysport downpipe next week!

Speedometer - the auto has 2 speed sensors with 2 pin connectors, the manual has 1 3 pin connector - anyone have a wiring diagram for this bit?

Is the footrest smaller on the manual - doesn't seem much room between the footrest and clutch

PLUSES!!

The car is much faster - although the VOD is more noticable - no doubt I will get used to driving around it, but the car just takes off over 5000rpm - I also put a Scoobysport centre pipe and rear box on the car - nice noise, but not intrusive at speed - new downpipe for secondary turbo next week.

I made my own speed shift - reduced overall height by 25mm (Might take it down a bit more) but increase the height of the linkage connection by 20mm (almost double) - nice short shift, abit notchy but I'll get used to it!

Higher gearing in top, up from 22mph/1000rpm to 25mph/1000rpm

Handling much better - car is more stable (possibly due to driving with what amounted to a solid centre diff with the auto).

Parts Changed

UK Impreza Turbo gearbox and rear diff (3.9)
GTB propshaft, 3" longer than auto propshaft
Clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder (+loads of piping???) from GTB
Impreza slave cylinder and clutch
GTB brake pedal
GTB ECU
GTB Starter motor
GTB centre console and gear gaiter/knob

I'll put a full acount with pictures on my website when I get home next week
www.nebbs.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by PaulN; 02-11-2002 at 09:17 AM.
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

I'm doing this next weekend in my "GTB" also known as a Touring Wagon in the US.

I've basically got all the parts you're using, save for the stock ECU, which does a fine job. The TCU will just be disconnected and removed.

I've had the parts for a week, i'm just waiting for shop time, it's agony!!!

Dave
Legacy Central
Team ARG
BC-BF LegacyWorks
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 10:08 AM   #3
PaulN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 566
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy GTB
Green

Good Luck (its a fun job!)

The reason I changed the ECU is that the manual has a 7500rpm redline (up from 7000rpm), with different ignition timing and idle speed to the autos.

It also gives slightly more boost than the auto version, I'm now running 1.1bar

Paul
PaulN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

Well, our EJ22T is just SOHC and redlines at 6500 in both versions. I have heard about a timing issue, but i'm probably going to add some kind of timing control later anyway.

I'm already using an AVC-R, my limit is not having and intercooler and this tiny RB52.

I am, however, enlisting the expertise of a Subaru mechanic to do the brunt of the really tricky stuff, while i generally get in the way and take pictures.

Dave
Legacy Central
Team ARG
BC-BF LegacyWorks
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
bbenson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 198744
Default Automatic is problemATIC

03 Impreza with a second auto trans with a blown input shaft bearing... manual tranny is the next step!
bbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
DS1
Vendor

Member#: 111780
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

From what I've seen most guys go with the speedo wiring is to grab a manual ecu and run the wiring straight through the firewall.

I just did this swap in my 00' legacy wagon but I swapped the entire bulk head harness to a manual one.

-Dylan @ DS1
DS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Smoke
Scooby Guru

Member#: 172486
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Keep these threads coming!
I plan to do this someday myself!!