Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
deadend9009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173016
Default EJ25 Phase 1 ---->A good investment?

Hey there im new here. I searched a bit but i would really like some concrete information from people's experience with these cars. I just sold my vw to get a subbie. I was wondering what has been everyone's experience with a 98-99 Legacy Outback. I know its a ej25 which is phase I and isn't the most reliable engine.

If you have one, what is your experience with it? I like the ground clearance and looks over the regular brighton and L model, but cannot afford a GT, which has the same engine. I know they are prone to piston slap and head gasket failures, but whats everyone's take on these engines? How long did yours last?

Im good with my hands, so i most likely swap out the engine if needed, but i'd rather not.

Help?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
deadend9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Milage? Intended usage? Though piston slap is fairly common, it helps to let the engine warm up before driving it. The head gaskets have been redesigned, so if they haven't been changed yet, don't be suprised if they let go.

I happen to like the EJ25D....others prefer the SOHC model....both are good engines despite the beating the DOHC gets for it's headgasket history.

Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
greenspeed
*** Banned ***

Member#: 151248
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Whore Door

I bought a 98 gt and blew a rod...I will find out if the culprite was the head gasket this week. I know for a fact that I love the look of um...so i was hooked...
greenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
gtbensley
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 167448
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 2013 wrx hatch
Plasma blue pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspeed View Post
I bought a 98 gt and blew a rod...I will find out if the culprite was the head gasket this week. I know for a fact that I love the look of um...so i was hooked...
Some people have problems others dont. I love my car and have never had a problem with it. It does have a hardly noticeable piston slap but it does go away when warm.
gtbensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I've never had any piston slap issues with mine. And although I've been a victim of the bad headgaskets, overall I think the internet opinion of the headgasket problem is inflated quite a bit from the reality. Basically, it's the way the internet works - people don't come on here and post about how their car runs perfectly fine, they come on here to report problems. Thus there are a disproportionate number of "my HGs blew!" comments here.

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
deadend9009
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173016

Hum....looks like i'll soon be the owner of a 99 Outback...thanks guys!
deadend9009 is offline   Reply With Quote