Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #1
supremekizzle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 398796
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Desert Silver

Default Think I just bought a car with bad head gaskets :'(

Bought a 2001 outback sedan today thinking all outback sedans had the 3.0 H6, turns out they don't. I wasn't worried about head gaskets on the H6 so I didn't look. Found out it was the 4 cylinder and looked under the engine cover underneath. It looks like a lot of oil down there there's also some gunky looking stuff coating the coolant overflow reservoir. Damn it. I don't know what to do. Literally just bought it and have no money for repairs. Here are some pics underneath: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9X5Kpe-7UfaV3Bfay1YT09kNGM what do I do? Try and sell it right away? Head gasket repairs are like $2000. I could cry right now.
supremekizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Panora
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453901
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
1888 WRX STi
DGM

Hmm... interesting the previous owner wouldn't have mentioned cracked heads in the sale? Was there anything discriminate the seller said prior? Looks like this issue may have been on going as the build up looks pretty bad under there. I have a similar problem and am considering a rebuild. Any local buddies perform engine work around MN? There may be some one on the regional section who could help out or at least take a look
Panora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
supremekizzle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Desert Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panora View Post
Hmm... interesting the previous owner wouldn't have mentioned cracked heads in the sale? Was there anything discriminate the seller said prior? Looks like this issue may have been on going as the build up looks pretty bad under there. I have a similar problem and am considering a rebuild. Any local buddies perform engine work around MN? There may be some one on the regional section who could help out or at least take a look
Nope, didn't say anything. Like I said too, I was pretty naive and ignorant due to thinking it was the H6 and didn't ask really. It almost looks like it's coming out of the oil pan too, or is that pretty common for it to run down the oil pan from the head gasket? Also, cracked head? Where do you see that? I can't tell.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
SnowroxKT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 451846
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
08 Impreza 5d
Black

You could try to change the coolant and oil and add the coolant additive as a
temporary fix.
SnowroxKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
iTater
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394663
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Don't do the coolant additive, it will clog your heater core.
iTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
SubieManTrav
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453966

If I were you, I'd do a little more investigating to make sure it is the headgasket first. Try checking the coolant and oil to see if it's contaminated. Also, does the exhaust blow white smoke? Does the coolant temperature gauge go higher than normal when the car is warm? These are all indicators of headgasket failure. You never know... Your car may just be a little dirty!
SubieManTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
wtdash
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 59182
Vehicle:
2002 WRX GG>>
2016 Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieManTrav View Post
If I were you, I'd do a little more investigating to make sure it is the headgasket first. Try checking the coolant and oil to see if it's contaminated. Also, does the exhaust blow white smoke? Does the coolant temperature gauge go higher than normal when the car is warm? These are all indicators of headgasket failure. You never know... Your car may just be a little dirty!
+1

Also, the Phase 2, '99+ 2.5 engines were more EXTernal leakers, which means as long as you watch the oil level EVERY fill-up (until you determine how much is leaking/burning/etc.), just keep topping it off as needed.

BUT if it's overheating - did you test drive it? - that DOES mean HG failure almost always.

I'd clean it up, change the fluids, ADD THE CONDITIONER as the Subaru brand won't clog your radiator....Subaru has been using it for years now.

Also, if you don't know the history it's due for a T-belt job - waterpump, pullies, tensioner @ 105k miles. Probably a tune-up, too. Tbelt breaks it takes the heads and pistons w/it.

Or unload it, and move on.

Td

Last edited by wtdash; 09-05-2016 at 02:31 PM.
wtdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Lesson learned, hopefully. You never even popped the hood before buying it? Didn't check oil, coolant, brake fluid, nothing? Jesus.

Next time, spend the $100 to have the car looked over by a shop BEFORE buying. It could save you thousands.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 AM   #9
supremekizzle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Desert Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
Lesson learned, hopefully. You never even popped the hood before buying it? Didn't check oil, coolant, brake fluid, nothing? Jesus.

Next time, spend the $100 to have the car looked over by a shop BEFORE buying. It could save you thousands.
It was $500 with 130,000 and super clean. I figured worst case scenario I'd sell it or part it out.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Bigturbotyler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454146

I thought my forester had a headgasket problem, it turned out to be the valve cover gaskets. So just clean the car first and see where it goes from there.
Bigturbotyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
SnowroxKT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 451846
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
08 Impreza 5d
Black

Any updates?
SnowroxKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
decoder22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437335
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

it really doesn't look like a head-gasket issue, do you have pictures of the inside of the coolant reservoir also have you opened the radiator caps check the color and condition of the coolant, looks more like valve covers, cam seals etc, if you are questioning the coolant you could always drain all the coolant and see what it looks like and how it comes out. also you can get a loaner tool and do a compression test.
decoder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i-hatch -
now with a HID retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdash View Post
+1

I'd clean it up, change the fluids, ADD THE CONDITIONER as the Subaru brand won't clog your radiator....Subaru has been using it for years now.

Td
The Subaru conditionner is a rebranded RadWeld. And it will clog the core.
They use it so as to mask the symptoms, not to fix anything...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1351375

Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
downsouthman1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447549
Vehicle:
2015 WRX 6MT Premium
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post
It was $500 with 130,000 and super clean. I figured worst case scenario I'd sell it or part it out.
No $500 car is going to have no issues.
downsouthman1 is offline   Reply With Quote