Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 26, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
SaltWaterSubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389951
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
07 Impreza 2.5i se
black

Default Clutch Problems (long and detailed)

Warning long detailed post!!
So I finally replaced my clutch after 195,000kms. It was very worn and is on it's third engine and second tranny (details in last paragraph). I still can't believe just how much life I got out of that clutch. I couldn't get my preferred trusted mechanic to do this job since he was on vacation and I was trying to get on the road for my own little vacation.

The old worn out unit was replaced by an OEM exedy clutch kit, and according to the "new" shop I took it to, the flywheel was smooth and did not need to be machined or replaced. They also mentioned the car was in excellent condition.

As I started the car and let it warm I noticed a rattling sound, no big deal I figure it is just the cat back exhaust or something still very annoying and shouldn't have been given back to me like that but they seemed very busy and gave them the benefit of the doubt. I almost stalled the car when I first tried moving as the clutch bite point was almost at the floor. I drove home and all seemed well.

I decided to drive around town for a while to make sure it was at least somewhat broken in and ready for a 700km drive, that's when the problems started.

As I drove, the bite point seemed to get further and further out (now it's at about 50% form the floor, the old one was at about 90%). I noticed a clinking sound (metal on metal) when I would push the clutch in to change gears. My car began to back fire on it's way up in the RPMs and I couldn't go past about 1/4 throttle or it would surge and pop. This is not entirely new as the old clutch would do this periodically when I let it out too fast. This is not flywheel shudder as I am a familiar with that.

I want to call it slip but the RPMs are not shooting up like they would near the end of the last clutch's life. It's at the point now where if I give it a sudden shot of gas in neutral, the gear lever shakes ferociously and and the exhaust back fires on it's way up. the car will not accelerate unless I am extremely gentil and is preforming worse with the new clutch then ever before. This "slip" as i'll call it happens in every gear at any RPM at any speed with anything over 1/4 throttle and will accelerate while it's happening but it's painful. It's at the point now where it's almost impossible for the engine to be stalled by the clutch and the car starts weakly.

For some reason this "slippage" causes the engine light to blink on when the backfire occurs only to turn off after a little while. I sincerely doubt this is an engine issue because I constantly monitor oil levels.

My theories are:
1) The garage contaminated the clutch plate with oil/ grease and that is causing slip or partial slip.
2) The clutch cylinder(s) are worn out and not providing enough pressure.
3) The clinking sound may be caused by the alignment tool being left in?
4) Glazing?? seems unlikely as I never launched or abused the car in the 60ish km I drove it since getting clutch replaced.

I will be showing up at the garage on Monday morning and requesting a ride along to prove issues, will also request to observe the work being done.

Car details... It's a 2007 Impreza 2.5 wagon. The car is on it's 3rd engine, and second tranny. Car was on it's second engine when bought and blew up on me due to oil loss 1500 km after buying. I got it replaced by a used/rebuilt motor which has been running strong to spite the fact it burns a fair bit of oil and has piston slap when cold, but from my experience working at a Subaru dealer ship, even the brand new subies have this tick in some form or another. Guess that's the way of the boxer :/

Sorry for the long post but I would like to hear what people think this might be. Selling the car isn't really an option for another 2 years as I need a daily for school as a solution will hopefully be found and posted hear, but I appreciate if you guys can help narrow my diagnosis.

Last edited by SaltWaterSubie; 07-16-2016 at 02:43 PM.
SaltWaterSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
SaltWaterSubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389951
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
07 Impreza 2.5i se
black

I need to move this post to drivetrain forum but don't know how so i'm copy pasting for now. feel free to delete.
SaltWaterSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

195KM or 121K miles is not that much for a well taken care of clutch.
Hopefully the shop that replaced it will honor a warranty on the clutch.
3rd engine is a little scary. How, why did you run out of oil so fast after you bought the car?
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote