Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #1376
teslamaster
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 152906
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i SE
Obsidian Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFaceXC View Post
The most effective means would be welding on the ports. I get the idea that welding isn't an option for you to do yourself, though.

An easy and probably still satisfactory means could be using riv nuts of the appropriate size. 1/4" should be about perfect. Use aluminum or stainless steel. other steels may cause corrosion issues with the alum intake pipe after a relatively short period of time, not to mention that they will rust.

These are Riv Nuts
Avoid using stainless with the aluminum pipe due to galvanic corrosion.

If you know someone who can TIG aluminum it wouldn't take them long to do it for you.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
teslamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #1377
wmdoucette
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 192709
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2007 2.5iSE Wagon CG
2001 2.5RS Coupe RBP

Drilled holes, ran in shortend pipe thread nipples, epoxied... hasn't leaked in a year.
wmdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #1378
sr5.2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 250073
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS

Hey everyone,
Im new to the forum and pretty new to Subaru. Apologies if this has been answered already but I don't have the time to read through 56 pages...

I own a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS n/a, I believe that my car has a MAP sensor and this problem does not affect me in any way? Am I correct, partially correct?

Any help is great!
sr5.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #1379
renyo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93577
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
98 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5.2 View Post
Hey everyone,
Im new to the forum and pretty new to Subaru. Apologies if this has been answered already but I don't have the time to read through 56 pages...
You're making a horrible first impression.
renyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #1380
sr5.2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS

I understand this but would it be possible at all for someone to tell me if I am right?
I have done a little research behind this that's how I 'guessed' that I have the MAP, Im just looking for a confirmation from a petrol-head. That's all, thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #1381
renyo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 Impreza

You want confirmation you have a MAP sensor, or you want confirmation that you don't have to worry about problems?

99% sure you have a MAP sensor. Unless you have a sensor with a 5 wire plug next to the airbox on the passenger side of the car, you have a MAP sensor.

If you're looking for confirmation that you don't have to worry about problems, then refer to my previous post.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #1382
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5.2 View Post
Hey everyone,

I own a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS n/a, I believe that my car has a MAP sensor and this problem does not affect me in any way? Am I correct, partially correct?

Any help is great!
You are MAP based and therefore this problem doesn't apply to you.

Is this Opposite Day, or what? I just posted the concise, non-snarky answer. I think hell might just have frozen over.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #1383
sr5.2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza RS

Thank you williaty! Im just not as experienced so I seek to my elders for advice

@renyo thanks too! And no, I wasn't looking for a confirmation that I won't have any problems...hehe, I bought a used car, I know how it works.

Thanks guys! Loving the forum
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #1384
renyo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 Impreza

Oh, well sorry for being a bit of a ****. You wouldn't have been the first person to come to this thread and ask if the problem happened with the MAP sensor setup (if that was what you had actually been asking).
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #1385
joey horvath
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209359
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 obs
woodland green/silver

what happed to the good old days when a little trip to the plumbing department and canadian tire was all it took for a c a i
joey horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #1386
Soul Shinobi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130759
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Forester S

Computerized fuel injection happened.
Soul Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #1387
BlueMolecule
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210006
Vehicle:
2003 WRX WRB
2013 2.0i CVT Navi DGM

hey williaty would you help me build a hybrid intake. how far is deleware county from pittsburgh? trying to figure out what I would need to do this, its all scattered on this forum different model years and parts from ebay, going to search.
BlueMolecule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #1388
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Yes, I'd help, but it's a damned long drive. Probably 5 hours one way.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #1389
BlueMolecule
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210006
Vehicle:
2003 WRX WRB
2013 2.0i CVT Navi DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
Yes, I'd help, but it's a damned long drive. Probably 5 hours one way.
damn that is far, didnt look quite so distant on google maps. well maybe in the spring or something. I just remembered that i had subscribed to the 08 hybrid forum.
BlueMolecule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #1390
nasa779
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 263513
Vehicle:
00 acura integra
silver

ive read about 10 pages of this so far and was just curious, did the maf spike occur at WOT or was the error proportional to the % of throttle
nasa779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #1391
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa779 View Post
ive read about 10 pages of this so far and was just curious, did the maf spike occur at WOT or was the error proportional to the % of throttle
It's proportional to the throttle opening. At low throttle opening angles it gets small enough you don't have to care about it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #1392
nasa779
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 263513
Vehicle:
00 acura integra
silver

I just think iits weird that no matter the amount of airflow going through the intake, the resonance is still there and it doesn't change what rpm it the resonance occurs
nasa779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #1393
renyo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 Impreza

Well (if I understand it correctly) the resonance is caused by the intake valves and their timing.

Changing the throttle angle should just change how much of the wave is reflected back into the engine side of the intake. The more energy that's reflected back, the less energy that propagates into the MAF side of the intake. Less energy is less amplitude.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #1394
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa779 View Post
I just think iits weird that no matter the amount of airflow going through the intake, the resonance is still there and it doesn't change what rpm it the resonance occurs
The resonance occurs at the RPM at which the valves are opening and closing at the same frequency as the resonant frequency of the intake tract. The resonant frequency of the intake tract is determined by the wavelength of the standing wave in the intake tract. The length of the standing wave in the intake tract is determined by the length of the intake tract itself. This is why the resonance always occurs at the same RPM: the intake tract is always the same length.

The really interesting question is why don't we see smaller resonances at octave multiples of the primary? I haven't figured that one out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyo View Post
Well (if I understand it correctly) the resonance is caused by the intake valves and their timing.

Changing the throttle angle should just change how much of the wave is reflected back into the engine side of the intake. The more energy that's reflected back, the less energy that propagates into the MAF side of the intake. Less energy is less amplitude.
It's unclear if the throttle is determining the amplitude of the resonance via being an obstruction to the propagation of the wave or by controlling flow velocity.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #1395
Navi271
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 203099
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy Wagon
Winter Green Metallic

Hmm, pretty much decided to get rid of my weapon R intake, and use the same pipe to make a hybrid. I'm wondering if this is why I seem to go slower at WOT than I do at just under WOT?

Either way, going back to stock kinda. I seem to be doing that a lot with my car lately. I think now that I'm older and wiser I see that the things I did to the car early on are not necessarily better for it. I've grown tired of the noise the SRI would make too. Can't wait for that to go away.
Navi271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #1396
Soul Shinobi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130759
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Forester S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi271 View Post
Hmm, pretty much decided to get rid of my weapon R intake, and use the same pipe to make a hybrid. I'm wondering if this is why I seem to go slower at WOT than I do at just under WOT?

Either way, going back to stock kinda. I seem to be doing that a lot with my car lately. I think now that I'm older and wiser I see that the things I did to the car early on are not necessarily better for it. I've grown tired of the noise the SRI would make too. Can't wait for that to go away.
I feel the same thing, faster just before WOT. I think it's the switchover to open loop, using preset fuel maps at WOT that are rich to protect the engine. I'd love to hear someone who knows exactly what happens explain it though.
Soul Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #1397
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

If you have an sri, is there any reason to believe that the air filter itself could be instigating the low end maf voltage spikes and that perhaps a different air filter will show a different result? I have a little experience with changing a Weapon R air filter on a dyno and the results were eye-opening (On a non-subaru vehicle). I just did not capture the air/fuel ratio down to that low of an rpm range (or maf voltage for that matter).

Also, couldn't an SAFC counter the running rich causing spike of an SRI so you have the best of both worlds?
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #1398
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

No, this is being caused by the lack of a Helmholtz resonator, not the air filter.

No, an SAFC or other piggyback device can't do anything at all for this because of the way the ECU operates.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #1399
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
No, this is being caused by the lack of a Helmholtz resonator, not the air filter.

No, an SAFC or other piggyback device can't do anything at all for this because of the way the ECU operates.
You were very specific in your original post -->
"This report applies to any MAF-based naturally-aspirated GD/GG H4 Subaru. Most of the people who will be interested in this are going to be 05 2.5RS owners and 06-07 2.5i owners."

My apologies!

I just ordered a bluetooth OBD2 elm scantool for the android phone right after reading this whole thing. Gonna download some OBD2 apps and check some logs. The 1997 Outback is turbocharged but it is still worth a look with this as well as a couple other cars. Thanks!
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #1400
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

I'll be interested to see if a generic scan tool (aka anything other than RomRaider) can poll the ECU fast enough to catch this.