Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #1726
f0rz4m0t0rsp0rtf4n
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342257
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 impreza premium
Marine blue pearl

leave ur intake stock. like the guys said, go w/ high flow headers and an axelback muffler. do it gradually if u dont have the funds for it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
f0rz4m0t0rsp0rtf4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #1727
Bozz2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344376
Vehicle:
2013 WRX

Don't know if this thread is being watched or not, but i do have a few questions. Is this a problem if you didn't remove the snorkus like most people didn't? I installed a SRI, didn't remove the Snorkus, only thing i removed was the top half of the factory filter box. I don't have any black smoke or "running rich" problems (least i dont think i do) But i have noticed some weird accelerating. I appreciate the guy who wrote this for writing it all, but in all honestly i've read the original post 6 times over, and there's still parts that make no sense whatsoever in the way he phrased it. Is this a concern for me whatsoever if i didn't remove the snorkus?

I was also wondering about the weird acceleration problems, it seems as if now the car doesnt accelerate like it used to at low RPM's, only above 3k, it will also accel faster, and grow louder at 3k RPM, but like i said the low end performance is kinda slow, i really have to step on it. I don't know if this has any coincidence with the fact's stated in this article, just wanted to get some serious answers. Thanks.
Bozz2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #1728
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Yes, what you did is still a problem.

Considering that thousands of people have read the first post and do understand it, what are you having difficulty with?
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #1729
Bozz2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344376
Vehicle:
2013 WRX

Can you explain how its still a problem if the snorkus is still there? It's job is to eliminate the resonance problem the MAF sensor picks up, causing it to have problems. If It's still in, and this is an honest problem, why would anyone bother even installing a SRI/CAI on their car if it's just going to mess with the sensor?
Bozz2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1730
myslowgrandmacar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316137
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Pearl Blue

Because the snorkus gets rid of resonance at a certain frequency when air is running over/through it. If you bypass, or don't leave the airbox assembly in the correct configuration then it is going to screw with the sensor (because of the resonance) and cause you to dump fuel at low rpms. It seems to be a pretty critical part of the intake system.
myslowgrandmacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #1731
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz2.5 View Post
Can you explain how its still a problem if the snorkus is still there? It's job is to eliminate the resonance problem the MAF sensor picks up, causing it to have problems. If It's still in, and this is an honest problem, why would anyone bother even installing a SRI/CAI on their car if it's just going to mess with the sensor?
Basically, they install a CAI or SRI because they're either ignorant or an idiot. Well, presuming they have a MAF-based Subaru. The MAP-based ones are fine.

What you've done has removed the Helmholtz resonator from the path of the incoming air. That is the fundamental problem with all CAI/SRIs.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #1732
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 230167
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

Ok CEL is gone! Found out that the AF sensor was shot and needed to be replaced. Another thing was the filter for my SRI, which I had accidentally crushed when I cleaned it. All in all, car runs much better now.
Distant.Calling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1733
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Runs better except for, you know, the whole problem with SRIs in the first place
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #1734
Prusienski234
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332204
Default 2008 subaru 2.5i

What would i need to create my own hybrid intake?????
Where should i get the parts???
Prusienski234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #1735
hariria001
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Regal Blue Prearl

Quote:
What would i need to create my own hybrid intake?????
Where should i get the parts???
Start here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/230896223552...84.m1497.l2649 the way I did it I needed hack this piece up and then pick up another 45 degree intake piece, and three couplers from my local auto parts store. Sorry that wasn't super specific, you just kind of have to mess around with it to make it work. I'm sure there might be an easier fit out there but I made this fit nicely.

Kind of regretting the color choice though
hariria001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #1736
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

Not sure if it's been covered in this thread, but there was a TON of pages to go through: for the hybrid intake set-up, do you use the stock type filer or can you use the cone type filter inside the box?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #1737
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

You could use a cone type inside the filter box so long as everything was sealed up properly.

However, that'd be a really retarded thing to do. Lots of work, lots of things that could go wrong, absolutely no benefit.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #1738
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
You could use a cone type inside the filter box so long as everything was sealed up properly.

However, that'd be a really retarded thing to do. Lots of work, lots of things that could go wrong, absolutely no benefit.
Figured as much. When AT replaced my air filter they used a K&N cone and now I'm really thinking about slapping on the stock air box to my SRI (assuming that's what the hybrid set-up is based on this thread).

Is it right to assume dry (stock type) filters are good to use?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #1739
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant.Calling View Post
I'm really thinking about slapping on the stock air box to my SRI (assuming that's what the hybrid set-up is based on this thread).
NO. Re-read the initial post. It's more than just the airbox required.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #1740
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
NO. Re-read the initial post. It's more than just the airbox required.
Yes, I read the post and know the front half needs to be "stock." I tried to search for directions on how to do the hybrid, but turned up with nothing, which is why I inquired.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #1741
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

So if the front half needs to be stock, is there anything before the airbox that would be part of the "front half"?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #1742
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

According to your post: "The plastic intake snorkel, the Helmholtz resonator in the fender (snorkus), airbox, and MAF section" are everything that needs to be "stock."

I need to double check, but I'm fairly certain most of that is already installed minus the airbox and MAF section hence why I mentioned just the airbox.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #1743
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

So the rest of us were supposed to psychically know that you had the Helmholtz resonator still inside the fender when you said you were only going to put back the airbox?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #1744
Distant.Calling
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5i
CGM

As I thought the only thing I needed to install was the airbox. The only issue I had was the piping from the SRI didn't fit perfectly, but we bent it enough to make it fit to seal it.

Thanks for all the feedback, williaty.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #1745
takeadirtnap
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344507
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2010 Rex
OBP

are people seeing noticeable differences with the hybrid as opposed to stock intake? Im wondering if its worth it or if i should just go for the cat back to get some power.
takeadirtnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #1746
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeadirtnap View Post
are people seeing noticeable differences with the hybrid as opposed to stock intake? Im wondering if its worth it or if i should just go for the cat back to get some power.
Cat back will get you no power at all. People who claim it will are either lying if they're a shady shop or didn't run the test properly if they're nice guys.

Hybrid will get you a tiny bit of power that you'll never feel, which is exactly the same as you would have gotten with a CAI or SRI. IMO, I don't think any intake is worth doing for the power gains since they're so small. However, if you want an interesting project, if you want to mod your car for fun, or if you want to make an intake that's much easier to take on and off when you pull the engine, then making a hybrid is a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #1747
boomhauer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51283
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Silver, 5MT

If the power gains with the hybrid, or any other aftermarket intake, are negligible, then is there any improvement in sound? Enhancing that boxer rumble (even if only in the passenger compartment) would seem to be the only reason to spend a Saturday afternoon fiddling with the car if no other performance gains were noticeable.
boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #1748
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer View Post
If the power gains with the hybrid, or any other aftermarket intake, are negligible, then is there any improvement in sound? Enhancing that boxer rumble (even if only in the passenger compartment) would seem to be the only reason to spend a Saturday afternoon fiddling with the car if no other performance gains were noticeable.
No, no intake really enhances the sound quality. Makes more noise yah, you damn betcha. The SRI/CAI will make your little Subaru sound like a 1992 Honda Civic that some 16 year old boy spent a grand total of $19.95 at Pep Girls to "modify". Seriously, the sound of an un-muffled EJ251/253 intake is just disgusting. The hybrid is much quieter but a little wooshier than stock.

Honestly, the only reason to do any intake of any kind on the 2005+ cars is just to spend a Saturday afternoon doing something away from your wife.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #1749
boomhauer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51283
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Silver, 5MT

Well I'm not averse to fiddling with the car, or occasionally spending time away from the wife, but it depends on my mood and potential gain. My 2006 2.5i is stock (except for the rear sway), and I'm still rather happy with the sound of the car. No need for any farting or droning noise to accompany the daily commute. But I might afford some time and expense to gain a *little* better sound. Since the power with this platform is already maxed out with reasonable mods, better sound is the only motivation for me at this point. I've pretty much ruled out uel headers for that "true" rumble because I'd rather not take a step backwards in performance. I'm actually pretty happy with the car as it is. Thanks for the clarification.
boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #1750
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Yeah, if that's what you're looking for, don't try a CAI or SRI. Try the hybrid if you want to mess around a bit because it does make some small gains, but nothing to get too wound up about. Intakes just aren't the big power limitation on the 2005+ cars.

Honestly, I've had all the headers offered for these cars. The variations in sound between headers is NOT as big as people make it out to be. The variation between the two most different-sounding headers is much smaller than between two mufflers that would be considered quite similar sounding. If you want to make the car sound cooler without getting much (if any) louder, get the largest Magnaflow muffler (muscle car series, not ricer series) that will physically fit where the stock muffler goes and then have a shop custom weld some pipe for you. That'll make it sound quite a lot nicer and the big muffler will keep the volume down.