Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139327
Default 2004 block build up, help please

I got an 04 WRX short block, and im thinking getting a .5 overbore, lighter pistons, lighter rods, and an STI crankshaft with cosworth bearings, I wont run more than 1.3 bars of boost, maybe daily driver, roughly 350 whp, i want a quick response, my concerns were:
1. Will the US STI crankshaft work, is it a straight swap?
2. Will the cosworth bearing hold up for everyday driving?
3. What size head gaskets should i get to get a 8.5 CR
4. Whats a good set of pistons? Im not familiar with the US brands.
5. Rods?

Any input will be helpful. Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Skoobie; 03-16-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Skoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
BuggeyEYED
Scooby Guru

Member#: 101691
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
97 Supra TT
SOLD - 35r bug/hawkeye

wouldnt it be easier and alot cheaper to buy a built block from a refutable company and call it a day? looks like you are trying to make it into a strong sti block?
BuggeyEYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggeyEYED View Post
wouldnt it be easier and alot cheaper to buy a built block from a refutable company and call it a day? looks like you are trying to make it into a strong sti block?
I wanna go that route at a later time, but for now, i would like to build it myself and have a sense of accomplishment with my car, and also to be able to take a step back and say "yeah, i did that". Im not exactly thinking of bragging rights, which is also a given but more of pride that i did it.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
St.race
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 136092

Mahle pistons would raise compression to 8.5 plus they are very light.
Use OEM head gasket and in your case I would stay stock with rods and crank.
Bearings would not go bad from daily driving.
St.race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
St.race
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobie View Post
I wanna go that route at a later time, but for now, i would like to build it myself and have a sense of accomplishment with my car, and also to be able to take a step back and say "yeah, i did that". Im not exactly thinking of bragging rights, which is also a given but more of pride that i did it.
Best of Luck, St.Race
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.race View Post
Mahle pistons would raise compression to 8.5 plus they are very light.
Use OEM head gasket and in your case I would stay stock with rods and crank.
Bearings would not go bad from daily driving.
i heard some negative things about mahle, like piston knocks. Is there a reason why i should stick to stock rods and crank? Im curious. I would also like to bump up the redline.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
St.race
Scooby Newbie

Mahle pistons Knock? Bull S...
Why stock? You power goals are not that high.
Bump red line? why and how much?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.race View Post
Mahle pistons Knock? Bull S...
Why stock? You power goals are not that high.
Bump red line? why and how much?
thats what a few subaru guys were saying over here, like i said, im not familiar with US parts. I want a lighter load on the motor, and make more power, like a pieced together stroker. Redline up to 8000, im addicted to the sound and power up that high, my friend had a a STI Jspec when i was in Japan, man was it effin lovely.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

anyone?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
R & H Garage
Former Vendor

Member#: 139767
Chapter/Region: NWIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobie View Post
I got an 04 WRX short block, and im thinking getting a .5 overbore, lighter pistons, lighter rods, and an STI crankshaft with cosworth bearings, I wont run more than 1.3 bars of boost, maybe daily driver, roughly 350 whp, i want a quick response, my concerns were:
1. Will the US STI crankshaft work, is it a straight swap?
2. Will the cosworth bearing hold up for everyday driving?
3. What size head gaskets should i get to get a 8.5 CR
4. Whats a good set of pistons? Im not familiar with the US brands.
5. Rods?

Any input will be helpful. Thanks in advance

1. The US STi crankshaft will work with custom pistons. No it is not a straight swap without getting the right pistons. These pistons are not usually found on anyone's shelf. You are talking about a 2.2L stroker like the one I sell and Ron (RAW Performance) sells.
2. Cosworth Bearings are ACL bearings. ACL bearings are a bit cheaper if you find a good dealer.
3. This question is silly. It totally depends on the stroke, bore and piston used.
4. There are many good sets of pistons. It is all about what you desire and your budget. To get the 2.2L you are describing, I would go with CP. However, these pistons are noisy as hell when set at .0035" piston to wall clearance that they call for. You probably wouldn't like them for a daily driver. Look at the Unabombers Piston FAQ for a few tips.
5. Rods, factory US STi rods are the same length as your factory WRX rods only much stronger. If you want high RPM capability, I would recommend getting ahold of a set.

Lastly, I would highly recommend doing a lot of homework and getting a someone to help you. This isn't something you do yourself just for pride. That's retarded.

As I always put it:
Do the shortblock right the first time. "It is the furthest thing from a wrench."

-Dominic
R & H Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
BuggeyEYED
Scooby Guru

Member#: 101691
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
97 Supra TT
SOLD - 35r bug/hawkeye

i have mahle pistons in mine...only have a few thousand miles and a minor tune for now and no signs of knocking.
BuggeyEYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
Skoobie
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitoAutoSport View Post
1. The US STi crankshaft will work with custom pistons. No it is not a straight swap without getting the right pistons. These pistons are not usually found on anyone's shelf. You are talking about a 2.2L stroker like the one I sell and Ron (RAW Performance) sells.

-Dominic
Why isnt it a straight swap, is it because the stroke distance, and the piston height wont clear?