Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
bomber991
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52539
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
BLUE

Default Got a page with the prices of the dealership maintenance charges and got a question

Ok before reading all the junk below, here's the question. I should be able to do some of these things myself and drop the price some shouldn't I? Or is this like some kind of special 'combo deal' like getting a number 6 at Wendy's instead of ordering the Spicy Chicken sandwich, fries, and drink separately and paying 40 cents more? Or I suppose this is a question to just ask them then isn't it? Whatever, I'm gonna call them next week and get it figured out.

Looks like they do a lot of stuff that doesn't need to be done.

At the 15/45/75k maintenance they charge $187 before tax and do the following:
Replace engine oil & filter, add BG oil additive. Rotate tires. Check and adjust tire inflation. Inspect brake pads and rotors. Replace air filter. Replace fuel filter, add BF fuel conditioner. Inspect clutch and adjust as needed. Inspect exhaust system. Inspect all chassis components. Check and top off all fluids. Service battery. Road test. Wash and vacuum.

You don't need the fuel filter or air filter replaced except for every 30k miles.

For just the oil change and filter change, and tire rotation every 7,500 miles they charge $60. So that means they charge an extra $127 for the air and fuel filter replacement, and BG additives. Don't they usually inspect stuff for free?

And for the 30/90k maintenance they charge $488 for a 4cyl and $588 for the 6cyl. Must be for the spark plug job. They do this:
Replace engine oil and filter, add BF oil additive. Rotate and balance tires. Check and adjust tire inflation. Check and top off all fluids. Inspect brakes and adjust as needed. Replace front and rear differential fluid. Replace transmission fluid. Replace engine coolant. replace air filter, fuel filter, add BG fuel conditioner, and replace PCV valve. Replace spark plugs. Flush brake system. Inspect exhaust system and all chassis and drive train components. Service battery. Road test. Wash and vacuum. Includes a rental car for the day.

Everything seems right with this one except with the WRX you only need a spark plug change every 60k miles because it's got those fancy platnium plugs. Also, couldn't they just not give you a rental car and you save $50 for this job?

The last job they do is the 60k maintenance job. Comes in at $788. Same exact thing as the 30 and 90k maintenance but they do 1 more thing. They change the timing belt.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bomber991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Forget about the "additives" and "conditioners". You don't need them and Subaru specifically tells you so in the owners manual. You can bring that to the dealer, along with your service schedule (either from the manual or from the Subaru website) and insist on having ONLY the recommended services performed. If they refuse and give you some BS about why it's all necessary, and/or the price is still too high, walk out and find a good independent Subaru shop or do it yourself.
Also when you check the maintenance schedule you'll see that the timing belt is not called for until 105K.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
bomber991
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Forget about the "additives" and "conditioners". You don't need them and Subaru specifically tells you so in the owners manual. You can bring that to the dealer, along with your service schedule (either from the manual or from the Subaru website) and insist on having ONLY the recommended services performed. If they refuse and give you some BS about why it's all necessary, and/or the price is still too high, walk out and find a good independent Subaru shop or do it yourself.
Also when you check the maintenance schedule you'll see that the timing belt is not called for until 105K.
Yeah but I was in a head on collision way back 3 years ago, so I don't know. It's possible something in there could be wobbley enough to require replacement every 60k for me.

It does just say Dealer Recommended Maintenance on this page so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't hassle me.

Last edited by bomber991; 03-18-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

If something is "wobbly" it needs to be fixed. A different maintenance schedule isn't the answer. Was the engine damaged in the accident? Even if it was, a proper repair should have taken care of it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
bomber991
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
If something is "wobbly" it needs to be fixed. A different maintenance schedule isn't the answer. Was the engine damaged in the accident? Even if it was, a proper repair should have taken care of it.
It was damaged but all was fixed. Mainly my dad's just freakin out and telling me I should go ahead and get it replaced. Cause we all know bad stuff happens when the timing belt breaks.

All I was gonna have them do was just the brakes, top off tranny fluid, and inspecting things. All the other stuff I should be able to do myself.