Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
ioeth
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173554
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Default Just installed VF22 on the STi has a coolant leak...please help

I bought Black Metal's old VF22 that's been ported, polished, upgraded wastegate, and 20G compressor wheel. It's got about 12k-15k miles on it now, but is still in perfect condition.

But, when we put it on the STi today, it is leaking water out onto the uppipe. It seems to be coming from either the coolant inlet or outlet holes on the side of the turbo, where the banjo bolts are. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from since I can't see that side of the turbo with the intercooler installed, though.

So one of my questions is could it be leaking directly out of the turbo housing somewhere, or is it more likely just those banjo bolts? I do have the washers from my VF39, which just came off, and the ones that came on the VF22, except for 2 that we dropped and can't find.

Do I need to go to my Subaru dealership and get some brand new ones, or should these old ones work? At any rate, what are the torque specs for those banjo bolts, so I don't crush the washers?

Any input would be appreciated!

--Matt
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ioeth; 03-22-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: made it easier to read
ioeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
mattjk
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16615
Vehicle:
I ♥ my TE51
2009 Nissan 370z

the vf22's lower coolant pipe doesn't quite fit right, and hits a very sharp edge of the bellhousing, or was it the block, I don't remember... anyhow, if yours did hit, it could be cracked there.

You can reuse old copper washers if you heat them up, but for how cheap they are, just buy new ones.
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
ioeth
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Well, we tried sealing up the banjo bolts really well and it seems to still be leaking, plus the car is overheating (haven't let it, it was just creeping way up). I've gone ahead and pulled the turbo back off to look around and see if we damaged any of the other coolant lines in the install process.

Couldn't see any damage, and none of the piping looks cracked. But, when it is leaking, there is no spray, and water is getting on top of the turbo-to-uppipe flange, so that means it must be coming from there or higher.

I'm not familiar with the internals of turbos, but I'm starting to think that it might be leaking out of the turbo housing itself. There aren't any apparent cracks, but it seems like it could be coming from the joint where the clamp holds the turbo together.

Can anybody confirm that this could be the problem, or offer ideas for other areas to look? Thanks a ton!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
ioeth
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
World Rally Blue

So I put everything back together today, and replaced the stock spring clamps on the coolant lines with screw-type hose clamps. Everything works great!

I still got a TON of steam driving around for the first ten minutes, even after it idled in the garage for about half an hour. The engine never went beyond normal operating temperature, and after a few miles, the steam went completely away. I guess a ton of it leaked out and got into the heat shields and everywhere, and that's what caused the scare on the first day. Ah well, now I know.