Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday November 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Canada Region Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Canada Region Forum > Eastern Canada

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
andruuu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41894
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
silver

Default Quebec emissions testing/engine swap

Hello,

so I just got a job in Montreal and so it looks like I'll be sticking around for a while (about to graduate from McGill). My sister's Legacy GT (97) is sitting all lonely in Toronto (she moved) with a blown head gasket and I am toying with the thought of doing the whole JDM swap business.

So, Quebec has no emissions testing now, right? But I have read they are trying to implement California's emissions testing program for 2010, is this true? If so then a JDM swap will have to be OBDII compliant for 2010 then...

Is this right?

and on another note, how is it owning a car in Montreal? is insurance expensive...etc?

Thanks!

Andrew
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
andruuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Martinofski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153515

For now, there are no emmision test on car. Since i got a jdm swap myself with a 3 inch straight with only a oem sti exhaust, i can't be more sure about it. For the 2010, im not sure tho. Anyway, for the time they put the law in place, your good till 2030 lol.

Insurance wise, its not so bad if you're 25 and up. Price change alot from place to place like everywhere else. You can also play a risky game by insuring your car as without a swap...i bet it would cost you 500$ a year or so.
Martinofski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
andruuu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41894
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
silver

Hey, thanks for the reply. That's good news. Did some more research, it sounds like the legislation is for new cars sold, the article doesnt mention periodic emissions testing at all.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

btw, what engine do you have swapped in and did you get it locally? I'd be interested to know of any good sources nearby. Did you buy just the engine or whole clip?
andruuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
scobbyfouette
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 175134
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

There's no emmision rules yet... your good!
but dont forget in order to swap your ontario license plate to quebec ones ,you have to pass a safety inspection!!! if your car is top-notch it should be good, even with the swap... as long as everything is tight, no exaust leak and all lights working!

owning a car downtown montreal is a pain tho, especially in winter as you have to move it all the times!!!!

come over montreal-subaru-club.com onces you move over here, you will have tons of info where to get your engine and swap done
scobbyfouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Mark25rs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174280

Defineately check out the swap shop in Blainville, Andre knows his stuff. They get all my business.

Its like a 30 minute drive form Montreal, and also Two Fast performance is just down the street, and great for parts, Falken, Hella, Cobb...etc

Both companies can be found in the forums of Montreal-subaru-club, along with awsome information, and great deals on used parts.

JDMSpecC for the swap shop

and Two Fast Performance
Mark25rs is offline   Reply With Quote