Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85763
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default clicking / knocking sound at < 65k miles

car: 2002 LGT 5MT
miles: < 65kmiles
Mods: borla knockoff header, magnaflow axleback

So, I've done my research...I've been searching for the answer for the past 3-4months. I took my car to the dealership and they said they couldn't determine the problem due to my car having header and muffler...supposedly they're not trained to work on modded cars...and when i told them about what i read on the forum about voided warranties, i guess the mechanic got alil offended that i did my research before going in there...so, he told me that he would charge me $100 to take a look at my car for less than 5 mins...i said no thanks cuz thats just bs...

i've searched and read on the threads with smilar problems and i came down to this conclusion: Belt tensioner malfunction.

The description of the issue:
When I start the car at very cold temp. until i drive it around for 5-10mins. I have this knocking or clicking sound coming from the belt area. The sound can be heard under load between 1.5k to 2.5k rpm. I do not hear it when idling but the belt is squeeling alittle. I don't have a heatshield anymore because I replaced my header. Also, similar sound issues that I've read are: knocking when the engine warms up but thats a rod knock and my problem goes away when the car warms up. The thread I read with a guy owning an impreza stated that it was belt tensioner malfunction which was covered under warranty. Due to the dealership around my area being not cooperative within my warranty period, I lost my warranty. I was wondering if anyone else can chime in and help me come to a conclusion of what the problem is with my car. Anyone with similar problem on their Legacy? I checked the N/A forum and that's the conclusion I came up with.

If the belt tensioner is the problem, I would like an instruction on how to replace it with torque spec and step by step if possible. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long story.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ttatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
my scoop eats babies
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174894
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Sounds like the good ole Subaru tick to me. Subaru's are notoriously "ticky," I've yet to drive one that didn't have some sort of abnormal-sounding tick until the car was warmed up.
my scoop eats babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

I am aware of the subaru having a slapping / ticking sound. But my car was totally fine until this winter season. I never heard the sound until this season. Does the sound happen out of no where? Do you think it's ok to leave it alone and drive around with this condition?

Bump...
Anyone else?

Last edited by ttatsumi; 04-02-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Vehicle:
04 FXT

I agree with the baby eater. If it goes away after the car is warm, it's genuine subaru piston slap. My wife's 99 Outback sounds like a diesel. I'll be trying Valvoline MaxLife or a diesel 5W40 in it next.

You could also try another dealer as well.
There should be timing belt tensioner info here or on scoobymods.com

-Dennis

Last edited by bluesubie; 04-02-2008 at 04:12 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your inputs!

But i still dont understand why it suddenly started happening this winter (2008)... You guys said it's good ol' piston slap but wouldn't I have experienced it from day one of the purchase? or are you guys referring to after couple of years and miles and miles after? Because if it's from day one then I'm thinking it could be something else.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Yes, the OB definitely got noisier with age. I thought the lifters changed by MY2002 though.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

I'm not too sure if the lifters got changed in 2002...all i know is my car is 2002 legacy GT 2.5L i believe its SOHC.