Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Flameworker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 420711
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 outback sport i
green

Default 1999 outback sport, swapping everything.

I have been driving subaru off and on for 20+years, but only recently did I see the full potential, particularly of the Impreza platform.

1I love the interchangeableity (swappableness?) that are possible with our platform. I can pretty much swap anything suspension wise from any Impreza 1992-2007 if I understand correctly, and seems like a similarly vast range of power train stuff can bolt up.

Skip to the bottom for my technical questions, and plans If you don't want to read. I'll use blue ink.

Now, in advance, some of my questions may sound noobish. I apologize. It's from ignorance, I have tried to find the answers on my own, but I get conflicts.

I already disassembled the entire suspension, to replace wheel bearings and bushings (by the way, the main thing that fails on all cars when you drive say 1000@+miles stopping only for gas is wheel bearings), and to understand how it was put together. Now I'm ready to upgrade!

I don't want to make the mistake of starting with the wrong year, seems like an 02 would be better, but am I correct that the 99 outback sport is a good platform to build? Owned it since new, and babied (was Moms, borrowed it for the week two years and 75,000 miles ago!)

I need to know the main difference between my 1999, and a 2002 impreza., and why so many more people seem to use the 2002-2007.

I'm an artist, so money comes in bursts. I can't go buy a wrx sti , no way.

I had a 1991 Saab SPG, totally over built, full Bilstien suspension, the big #4 Garrett, the highest displacement that fit in that year (2.3 dohc?), z rated Pirelli s, good brakes, and a stage 3 clutch (stage 3, I don't recommend for street, at least the one I got) that car is gone. No details, it's embarrassing, but it's gone. Ok. And sour grapes time,. SAAB parts are too expensive, you need a freaking $900 tool just for the clutch, and FWD. I want to build my impreza up similarly to that. In stages.

The cheapest, easiest way to upgrade my Outback from what i hear is is a 2000 Forester 2.5 , already pulled, 30 miles away, and $300, with fresh head gaskets!!!!
But I do like the reliability of the ej22. Of course I will lose that "reliability" if I start trying to bolt on go fast (this week alone I bought a Nitrous tank, a used t3 Garrett turbo, a mercedes kompressor supercharger, .....nevermind. but I nickel and died the 300. Oops. I can resell it.all good deals.

I also got read disk knuckle s, front dual piston calipers, sti thick rear sway bar, 25mm adjustable front sway bay, versiot 6 shocks, window tint, new carpet, ordered sti seats, pulled out the rear seats out, oh, and one of those things that let's you plug your phone into the tape deck!

ok

Primarily I am happy with my car, BUT these Are the things I need to improve.

Tourque, I have to pull the motor to do a rear main seal anyway, plus at 150,000 a timing belt. Now would be the time to swap.

Should I save for full JDM E20 TURBO? Negatives to that swap?

IS there much difference in a 25vs22? What car should I test drive that would feel closest to a 99 outback sport with a 25 conversion? Easy or difficult swap? I found a used ej25 locally, 300, or 400 and he assist s the job at his garage.can that 2000 forester ej25 handle turbo better or worse?

I was thinking drop in 25, Crate the 22 in case of blown engine later.

HANDLING, rally stiff preferred!

One day, if I keep this car, I'll put $2000 into Bilstien coilovers, not today.

, handling (body roll), what year and model mounts and springs will work best with my version 6 jdm shocks? What about using my stock springs? Nothing new, stuff I can find at a junkyard.

steering (sti "less power" steering swap pita or worthwhile? )

Suspension, I see nice aluminium stuff on the wrx and sti, what's the weakest link of my rear and front suspension, and should I swap any particular year or model parts? ie., the lower control arms on the 2004-3006 ish wrx^sti look different, stronger.

TOURQUE. Power, engine
how best to get more? Will I get improved acceleration with a cat delete, or high flow, or will the lack of back pressure rob my torque for hp?

Idea number 1

I found a complete ej25 from a Forester, already pulled, $300, new head gaskets.

Ej22sohc to Ej25 2000 fore

IDEA #2

Ej22, adding a high flow tapped oil pump, sti injector rails with the 3way fuel regulator, a 255 pump, ecu piggyback or software, sti intercooler, custom Ej22 turbo exaust manifolds, stock sti turbo. Am I missing anything? I found everything used around $300 all in. can I use stock maf? Is that a nightmare project? I want 5psi boost. Tourqe, really.

IDEA #3 (Supercharger on stock ej22)
Speaking of Tourque nothing beats a supercharger, what about replacing my air conditioning compressor with a mercedes kompressor supercharger (fab bracket, , swap pulley, run oil, add sti intercooler, 255 pump, sti fuel rail w regulator, piggyback or ?) I'm guessing 2-4# boost, but supercharger boost has no turbo lag.

IDEA #4 (already think it's a bad one)
DIY N2O, 10 lb bottle, add 5th injector past throttle body with solenoid on its own 1 gallon fuel cell n pump that kicks in if it leans out , sounded like a dirty easy job.

IDEA #1 (most likely, if I sell a good piece)
A complete JDM EJ20 turbo, $900, harness, everything supposedly.
+300 for jdm 5speed
Swap

Any of these sound like good ideas? Or dumn?

AUTO TO MANUAL 5
Also I want to go swap auto to 5speed.

Particular year with best gearing, ?

I will need the plastic interior middle, or part around shifter at least, shifter, linkage, clutch bracket and pedal, (is it cable or hydraulic, I haven't checked! ) missing something? can you recommend a link, seems like a few members have Don e it.

IF I GET JDM with 5 speed attached, will that work, or will the clutch be on the wrong side? (Again, I should have research before asking, but you are free to ignore, hopefully this will soon be a "build" thread.)

Rear. What can I swap an LSD rear out of? How do I know if it's an LSD?

What i have done so far
ngk wires
ngk plugs
sti coil pack
stainless catback(amazon, not stainless, idk, starting to rust already! ,3months)
255 pump (had it, can't hurt)
fuel filter
motor flush
purple synthetic oil royal n filter
radiator flush, new subaru fluids
Run 93 octane (feels different to me, opinions? )
Intake silencer delete
kn air filter in stock box
ecu reset (makes a huge difference , especially running premium gas)
should I clean or replace maf sensor?
I have a spare ecu, will reflash help a stock motor, as I said, I just need the slightest bit more Tourque, I'm happy as a clamp on the highway, zooms along at 90 barely ticking 4000, maybe my problem is gearing?

Ugghh, I just spent an hour edit ing this into readable, hit reply instead of save. Sorry, fix it tomorrow.

Last edited by Flameworker; 05-12-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Flameworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
Flameworker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 outback sport i
green

I bought the ej25 from the forester. It has all the manifolds, even the cat. Ecu, harness, anything else I need to make sure comes with it?

The way my main seal is dumping oil, if it WAS manual my clutch would be gone, it's going to start a fire, I pour smoke at redlights.

By the way, that Barrs Leaks rear main seal leak stop DID work, for 10,000 miles, but it was just a few drops them, now it's a two quarts per tank of gas. so maybe it destroyed it. Or assisted

Either way, looks like 2007 sti sway bars and the 25 swap for now. No point in screwing with half added diy turbo kits, 2.5, then save for the JDM EJ20 turbo, with 5 speed total swap around fall.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:13 AM   #3
Flameworker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 outback sport i
green

a 2006 sti just came into the you pull it, anything special I should pull? (someone got the brembos,...they have fixed pricing, image brembos for $25$.)
Engine smashed
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #4
Flameworker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 outback sport i
green

might as well do the auto to 5speed Swap at the same time as the 2.5, I found these parts, and the asking prices (in brackets is what I'm offering, help me guess the fair price)

From a 2000 rs with 96,000, vehicle on premises, parts already pulled.

5 speed manual transmission - 250
WRX brake and clutch pedals- 75
2.5 RS Limited slip differential, 4.11 gear- 200

Will I need a different driveshaft? Or will my automatic one work?

I'm going to assume there will be wires, cables and such I will also need, has anyone compiled a comprehensive list?

is that 4:11 lsd rare? It's exactly what I wanted.Are these good prices, ? Is anything something I should grab if he doesn't go for the package discount? I want that rear!!! How can I check and see what rear I already have is?

I'm going to offer 300 for all 3, lowball piss es most people off, but it works maybe one in four times I find.

He also has whiteface Cluster.and steering column.

Would it be an upgrade to use the steering colum from this? guessing no.
also Whiteface guage cluster!

Less than $1000 estimating, all in, with the 2.5 and 5 speed swap. Got the 2.5 down to $200, so 200 for motor, 500, for that stuff, 150 or so for stage 2 clutch, so 850+sundry stuff/missing tools, beer for assistance. .. seems like a decent price.

I hope Upgrading from 22 to 25 is worth the effort. meh, at $200, it's less than the timing belt would have cost.