Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
wy4tt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 110185
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Black

Default Sub for '08 Sti - new to audio and need some guidance

First of all, I'm pretty ignorant about audio, so forgive me for that. But I'm picking up an '08 sti this weekend and I want better sound, mainly bass. I know that under the seat options aren't optimal, but is having a box in the hatchback asking to get broken into? Also, is the head unit easily replaced? I'm coming from a Legacy GT that was nearly impossible to change out the HU that I just never got around to it. With my '06, the common concensus was that you were screwed unless you wanted to spend huge $$ and lots of time (or pay someone else). I'm kind of to the point where I want someone else to do the job and just have it done. I'm all over mechanical work, but audio...I just never learned much about it. Thanks in advance guys.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wy4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Sobek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173486

Well, you know the usual question...

What's your budget?
Sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Destined2race
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160344
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX "Hatch"
WRB

i would reccommend a line out converter, that way you can have a sub but people looking in would assume you dont have a system. I got it in my wrx, and the sound quality is good(not as good as a nice deck will give you but not too bad). Yeah budget, what kind of bass you want (loud, clean, mixture) and how much room your willing to sacrifice...

do the new ones have the sliding cover for the back area? My wagon does so i built my box in the spare wheel well and i can still put stuff over it and close the cargo cover.

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...tereofinal.jpg
Destined2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
wy4tt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 110185
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Black

Yeah they have the cover, it's almost identical to what your wagon.

Clean bass is more important than loud. Butdgetwise...guess it depends on what I can convince myself of at this point. Having just picked up the car yesterday, I probably shouldn't spend much more than $1k off the bat.

Thanks,

Will
wy4tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
jobs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 18664
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2010 Outback SWPearl
,99 Black Outback sport

Are you thinking of changing your whole system?

HU + FRT door spkrs + AMP + sub is the simplest way to go.
You can get an 4 channel amp to power everything. This is what i have in my obs
right now. You should prolly shop for prices around (local stereo stores and internet).

For me the most important part of the system is the front door speakers, this will be your front stage and you want to get atleast the best you can afford. You could get a focal brand 6 1/2" components for around $150 (access line) that sounds good or CDT's w/ the same price range.

I know a place in la cresenta called audio advice. Look for devin (818) 248-4663
3634 Foothill Blvd, Glendale, CA. You can ask him what you could get with your budget.
He carries CDT's, Focal, Image Dynamics, Alpine, etc.....

You can also check out woofersetc.com and compare prices. I believe this site is in downtown LA and you could go there and buy/pick up even saturdays. Ask about the warranty first though.

Good Luck
jobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Destined2race
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160344
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX "Hatch"
WRB

well 1k is enough to get a damn good stereo(if you got the hookup somewhere..). Focal is really good, jl audio, eclipse head units give out damn good sound quality as well. Maybe you might want to look into a 5 channel amp, they are harder to find but then you have designated power to fronts, rears, and sub output for better adjusting. Most places will give you a package price too! So shop around and compare.
Destined2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Sobek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 173486

$1000 System (Shop Installed) focused on bass.

Shop Installation: $150 (This might vary, but it should be in the ballpark.)
Wiring kit: $60 http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...rodID=KFX-AK44
Distribution Block: $10
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=BC-1428

Enclosure: $100 Bass Reflex (Ported) Enclosure built by third party to specs.
Head Unit:
Alpine CDE-9881: Pretty basic, yet solid head unit. Not very flashy, but sound is very clean $ 140 http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5436
Speakers: (Front)
$100 JL TR 600 Cxi These fit like a dream in our cars. Installation is greatly simplified, and since you’re looking for bass mostly, they have pretty good low range.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=935

Speakers rear:
I would suggest none, but if you like to have a bit of filler sound, keep the stock speakers and connect them directly to the head unit…

Subwoofer:
No… we’re not doing a Type-R. (They’re good, but not enough for their asking price)
RE audio’s SR-12 is a surprisingly good sub for the price, comparable to many higher priced subs. It’s a 300W Sub, but you’ll be surprised at its output on a properly built box tuned around 30~35Hz.
(By the way, they have these on sale… you should jump on that, like right now…)
$129 http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4907

For amps, I like seller “High Desert Audio” on ebay. They sell refurbished Rockford fosgate amps, and I’ve never had any problem with them (For peace of mind, they even give you a 3 month gurantee). You can usually grab these amps for about half the retail price.

Amplifier for sub:

$179 Rockford Fosgate Punch P600.1BD (Plenty of headroom, and future upgradeability in case you want to add a second sub)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate...742.m153.l1262

Amplifier for speakers

$80 Rockford Fosgate Punch P200.2, Simple, small and a good match for the JL speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate...742.m153.l1262

Total: $953.

The remaining should cover shipping for all the stuff, fuses and misc supplies, plus a cold beer for your installer. (They always appreciate that…)

Enjoy...
Sobek is offline   Reply With Quote